New goldwing owner

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
ADI
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1000

New goldwing owner

Postby ADI » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:24 pm

Hello everyone my name is Adi. I just brought a GL1000. I have been looking at this website for a while and love what you guys have done with your Goldwings. I thought i should share my work here and get some advice on working with these beautiful old motorcycles. I have only worked on really old enfields and BSA motorcycles before so this is a very complex project for me! I apologize in advance for any stupid questions :)
I found my bike, a 78 GL1000 with 35k mile on craigslist, it had fairing damage after a low speed fall and was parked in a garage for the last 3 years. I was told by the original owner that it ran before he parked it. I wanted a GL without the fairings anyway so I got it home.
78 GL1000
78 GL1000

Since then I have removed the panniers, seat etc.

I was planning to dump out the old fuel, change the fuel filter, change the oil and install a fresh battery before attempting to start it. is there anything else that should be done?
Also i took out the old fuel today and noticed that the tank is coated with some sort of a liner that is peeling off at the bottom of the tank and there is some black sludge/tar like stuff there.I tried to get the most of it out with a rag...any suggestions on cleaning this tank? do you think an inline fuel filter would enough?

Fulcrum
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100

Re: New goldwing owner

Postby Fulcrum » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:04 pm

First of all congrats and welcome to the group.

Honestly, when it comes to bikes that are new to you and aren't running there are a hundred things to check first. Such as, but not limited to, replacing timing belts if that hasn't been done, replacing spark plugs, new battery, oil change, change the brake fluid, replace fuel filter, replace hoses, derust tank, rebuild carbs - or at least seafoam them, check valves, flush radiator, and run down any electrical gremlins.

But that being said there is enough info here and plenty of helpful guys that are experienced and will help you out to get it all done. Word to the wise, start out spraying all the nuts and bolts with penetrating fluid before you even contemplate removing anything. Good luck and enjoy your new wing!

ADI

Postby ADI » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:45 pm

Thanks Fulcrum, i appreciate the help. The timing belts were changed 3 years back since then it has done only 200 miles, but it was parked for 3 years. Do the belts deteriorate if the engine is not run for a long time? I will visually inspect them for cracks and such. For now I will get to work with the can of WD40!

wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:44 pm

Timing belts don't necessarily crack, so even though a visual inspection is not a bad thing, it may not tell you what you want to know. Depending on how it was stored in his garage, they might be ok. Still, for the relatively small amount of money they cost, changing them might not be a bad thing.

As to the tank, I'd clean it out completely. It sounds like it was treated to a coating sometime in it's past and it's now deteriorating. I'd remove it, use a solvent to remove everything in it and clean it out completely, inspect for rust and scale, and decide if it needs a Kreem treatment or not. A filter definitely won't do at all. I would replace it before you run any gas through the fuel system, after you service the tank.

Aside from the list that Fulcrum gave you, which is pretty good advice, change the fuel lines, all of them including the ones connecting each carb.

Welcome and good luck on the find.
Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Postby Fred Camper » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:20 pm

Do the timing belts and resolve that tank issue. The timing belts is the least expensive and the best insurance. But that fuel liner issue is significant to resolve as well. A replacement tank may be the best option. I do not think any fuel filter can properly protect the carbs from such a degraded lining.

ADI

Postby ADI » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:18 pm

Thanks wjnfirearms and Fred Camper, I think ill go ahead and remove the tank off the frame and see if i can get all the crud out of it.. if not, ill look for a replacement tank that's in better shape. I'll post photos of my progress.

Fred Camper

Postby Fred Camper » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:41 pm

I agree you should remove the tank and then decide if your labor is less expensive than a replace tank. A replacement tank is not without labor so keep that in mind. Electrolysis works well on rust and is often better than a liner that may fail.

ADI

Postby ADI » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:09 pm

Thought I should post an update on the progress. I found a used fuel tank on ebay with some light rust inside. I tried to get the rust out using vinegar but it had little effect. I then tried Metal Rescue and it worked really well. Although it is a little expensive it works as I hoped it would. I got 3 gallons of this stuff from the local home depot and put it in the tank, then rotated the tank every 12 hours to make sure everything comes in contact with the solution. After 48 hours almost all the rust was gone! I will post some pics soon.
Now I plan to work on to the carbs, got randakk rebuild kit.

Also, I wanted to ask if there is any resource that could find to help with changing the wiring on this bike. Everything seem to works but it had full a faring and a LOT of lights and other accessories put on it... the wiring looks like a mess and there are a lot of wires going nowhere.

Fred Camper

Postby Fred Camper » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:23 pm

I suggest starting the wiring repair with a great wiring schematic. Search this forum and you will find good links.

ADI

Postby ADI » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:07 pm

Here are some photos of the old new tanks:

The original fuel tank with the sludge and some type of tank liner
The original fuel tank with the sludge and some type of tank liner

New tank with some rust but no liner
New tank with some rust but no liner

New tank after derusting
New tank after derusting

tank painted and ready to go on the bike
tank painted and ready to go on the bike

Fred Camper

Postby Fred Camper » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:04 pm

Great job on the tank, now keep in fogged with carb fogging spray (used for marine engines) during the winter or during spells of not riding as this will keep it looking this way. During regular riding it will not need anything special. I am not a fan of liners, as fogging during the off season is plenty of protection.

This link will take you to the wiring diagrams in high resolution (follow the instructions to download the high resolution version). The one for the 1978 is second from the top.
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9971

ADI

Postby ADI » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:18 pm

Thanks Fred Camper, I did spray it with WD40 to avoid flash rust but i was looking for something specific for this application. Ill try the carb fogging spray. Thanks also for the link to the wiring diagram, this will help for sure. I was trying to figure out how many sub harnesses does my bike have apart from the main wiring harness, do you know?

Fred Camper

Postby Fred Camper » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:04 pm

Each handlebar side gets a sub harness, not sure how many others.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”