Single Carb System

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
twaggoner
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Single Carb System

Postby twaggoner » Sun May 05, 2013 11:44 am

I am considering changing to a single carb system for my GL1000. I have seen a VW single carb system and would like to know if anyone else has accomplished this. Will the existing fuel pump support this system. It seems like it would be an improvement over keeping four carbs synched. If anyone can give any feedback I would greatly appreciate it!!! Thank you guys.

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Re: Single Carb System

Postby Placerville » Mon May 06, 2013 12:06 pm

There will be comments from members here, I'm sure. For more input on this topic, I suggest that you visit/join the NGW, introduce yourself, pose your question and then do some research there on single carb conversions. I say this because the NGW leans more toward customization and, IMO, will have more information for you on this topic.

I believe you'll find that, in general, single-carb conversion can be problematic and performance can suffer. You will also see folks who have done it successfully. In the end, the choice will be yours.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Postby Fred Camper » Mon May 06, 2013 7:38 pm

Torque can be fine, but not power. So all depends on what you are looking for. Once a GL is ridden regularly, the 4 carb setup is pretty trouble free. But for bikes that mostly sit around, a single carb can be a better alternative. You certainly should check out NGW first.

twaggoner

Postby twaggoner » Wed May 08, 2013 1:47 pm

The thought of having one carb led me to think of less problems in keeping the carbs synched and set. However, I intend to ride not let it set and I have gathered from other riders that it is just the way that the engine is designed so I am content to leave well enough alone. Thank you for your response...Safe travels!

Fred Camper

Postby Fred Camper » Wed May 08, 2013 8:48 pm

Can you tell us a bit about your bike. Looks unique in the avatar you use. Love the single seat look. A bit more info is always of interest.

twaggoner

Postby twaggoner » Fri May 10, 2013 8:28 am

the single seat is the original that was ripped when I purchased it. Then I found a double bucket to puton when my wife wwants to ride. I am very happy to stay with the four carb system, I was just very impressed with how the single carb set-up looked. I love this bike and intend to keep it for a long time.I am having difficulty keeping the engine paint clean. I love a blacked out motor, just have not been able to keep the paint from getting jacked up with a little fuel leak from time to time.

Fred Camper

Postby Fred Camper » Fri May 10, 2013 8:32 pm

Maybe one of the carb drain screws has torn am o-ring? That word be an easy fix.

twaggoner

Postby twaggoner » Sun May 12, 2013 5:17 am

OOOhh... A couple of other things. The luggage rack came with the bike when I purchased from the seller. I do not know what bike it was, originally, for because I had to modify it, a little, to make it bolt on correctly and I have not seen another one like it on any pics of 70s-80s wings. Also I went to com-star wheels from the spokes. I never gave a preference much thought till I had this bike with spoke wheels. I came to the conclusion that I like the looks of the star wheels better. I ,still, have some little things to touch up; handle bar, headlight, and dash but I truly love the looks of the GL wings. And...know that you mentioned the possibility of a torn o-ring...I do not remember seeing an o-ring on any of the drain screws!!! definitely something I need to confirm. Thanks to all for your comments!!! I truly appreciate it.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”