'78 GL1000 due for an overhaul...

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
AceFrehley03
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda GL1000

'78 GL1000 due for an overhaul...

Postby AceFrehley03 » Tue May 07, 2013 9:25 pm

Hey everybody, I just picked up a very well-loved '78 GL1000 with 66K on the clock who has had a bit of a rough last few miles. She was accidentally ran without coolant, overheated and has subsequently developed what sounds like a bottom end knock. No, it did not seize. It sounds like it reached H on the temp gauge, started to lose power and was shut donw. The bike will be getting restored and I plan on going through the engine, but have a few questions that I would like to run past everybody here as this is my first GW, and my first non-inline-4. This will be long winded so bear with me please, but here's where I stand:

1.) On startup she smokes dark out of the right bank, which calms down after about 15 seconds. Are valve stem seals still available for this moose?

2.) The knock I referred to seems to be bottom end, but I am having a hell of a time figuring out exactly where. I cannot pinpoint with a stethoscope, but it doesn't sound like top end. The oil was drained and examined and I can see absolutely NO metal shavings in it. None, zero, nada, zilch. I know this doesn't mean that bearings AREN'T bad, but it is at least a semi-good sign. The knock quiets down as the engine is ran, and has all but subsided after maybe 120-150 seconds. Putting the engine under load does help show a bit more of a knock. Are main bearings available for this behemoth? I seem to recall reading somewhere, long ago, that these shared some engine components with the Honda Civic's of old. Anybody know of any truth to this? Also, I don't see an oil pan, is splitting the case going to be required to plastigage this thing?

3.) I don't see any Wiseco piston/rings for this wildebeest. I am planning on first removing the heads and checking the cylinders for excessive scoring and or ridging, and at 66K I know it will be worn. If I can get by with a simple soft hone then I will try that first. Oversize rings would be ideal.

I've done a lot of lurking and have come across places such as Randakks (which seems to be very highly regarded) but wanted to see what else I could dig up on it and hear anybody elses suggestions. I have also heard that machine work on these is pointless as the cost quickly exceeds value. I don't want this to happen and will try to do everything as cheap but thorough as possible to avoid that. I'm pretty handy with a wrench, so fleabay parts don't worry me too much. Am currently looking for a semi-affording rotating assembly on there and will keep posted.

Looking forward to tackling this with all of your help, experience and advice. Thanks in advance.

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Re: '78 GL1000 due for an overhaul...

Postby Placerville » Fri May 10, 2013 12:42 am

Sourcing major engine parts for these bikes can be very difficult, if not impossible. Obtaining some parts, but not others, will leave you in the lurch and you'll over spend. Complete working engines for your GL are available and, if I were in your position, I'd part that (very suspect) engine out and find a low mileage runner that I could clean up and swap in.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Fri May 10, 2013 6:21 am

There's smoke, and there's smoke. Is the smoke excessive oil consumption (which should be blueish), excessive fuel (black), or burning coolant (white), or a combination of problems? You need to get to the cause of the issue before considering why it's doing this and what to do about it. Usually, if the problem is either oil or coolant related, the problem shouldn't wane after some warming of the engine. The consumption of either fluid wouldn't lessen after warming up. If the bike is running rich cold, this can cause smoking. That would be carb related.
Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

AceFrehley03
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda GL1000

Postby AceFrehley03 » Fri May 10, 2013 9:19 am

It's blue smoke, without a doubt oil. No mixing of coolant and oil so we are ok there. If there is any other smoke there, it's hidden by the blue smoke. I'll swap seals and see where that puts me.

Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Postby Fred Camper » Sat May 11, 2013 7:17 pm

Sad to say, but I agree with Placerville that a replacement engine is the best option then part out yours. Too much risk in a warped surface with this block. Honda built a bunch of these engines are replacements are more affordable that parts.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”