No contact at rear brake!

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
dragonblood69
Motorcycle: 79 GL1000 Vetter

No contact at rear brake!

Postby dragonblood69 » Mon May 13, 2013 10:57 pm

I have a 79 GL1000, pulled the rear tire so I could remove the tank. I put everything back together, however, when i step on the rear brake pedal, the brake doesn't actuate. When i kneel down by the pedal and push on it, i can hear air in the line. I cannot figure out the best way to bleed the caliper. Is there a way to do this without a vacuum pump? Also this bike has a heal/ toe shifter and crash bars with foot boards, the brake pedal contacts the bar for the foot board. The brake did work before I pulled the rear tire...

"It's not about what you ride, it's about the ride"...

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Re: No contact at rear brake!

Postby Placerville » Tue May 14, 2013 6:08 pm

When you pulled the wheel and tank, did you damage one of your rear brake lines during the wheel removal? (#3 or #1 below) You said that you hear air in the lines when you depress the brake lever. I've never heard air in my lines when bleeding them but, I can imagine that you might be hearing air and fluid escaping a crack in your rear brake pipe or soft line. I'd check this first.

Second, after you pulled the rear tire, did you at any time depress the rear brake lever? If so, you now need to rebuild your rear caliper. If your absolutely sure you didn't (and your lines aren't broken) then you should bleed your rear brakes. You say you can't figure out the 'best' way to bleed the caliper? Not sure what you mean by that but, just bleed them as you normally would meaning, remove the cover from your master cylinder, attach a drain hose to the bleeder nipple, open the nipple a quarter turn and start (slowly) pumping the brake lever while adding fluid during the bleeding process. When the air bubbles stop exiting the nipple, tighten it down and and check the brakes action.

You mentioned that your brake peddle 'contacts' your foot board bracket? If you're saying that the bracket is interfering with the pedals travel, you need to address that prior to bleeding your brake.
Attachments
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Postby Fred Camper » Tue May 14, 2013 6:42 pm

Wow Placerville, well said.

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Postby Placerville » Wed May 15, 2013 12:20 am

What? Hey, wait a minute! Did I get something right?
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Postby Fred Camper » Thu May 16, 2013 7:01 pm

Even a blind squirrel can...

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”