Is it ok?

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
gnarlyroad
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Is it ok?

Postby gnarlyroad » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:07 am

I've done what I can so far to get the bke running good. Belts, valves, carbs, newer head, valve reseating , head gaskets etc. but the compression is still really low(110 to 120)( was hoping this problem was associated with the valve seats or head gaskets) and am looking at probably doing a major engine rebuild( rings etc, lower end work), my ? is whether this can wait till next winter, allowing me to ride it for the summer, or if this is a really bad idea and needs to be done before any riding is done. Am planning to do a major strip and repaint(frame)( gas tank derusting) and polishing next winter anyway. Or hey am I falling into some kind of newbie hell by being over eager to get riding. :oops:
As regards gas tanks, I have that typical problem of rust. Am wodering if a good quality paper in line filter will work to remove the rust particles until I can get it together to remove tank and reline( next winters project) along with the other things already mentioned.

Gravity isn't just a good idea. It's the Law.

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Re: Is it ok?

Postby thrasherg » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:13 am

Yes and Yes, you will do no harm riding the engine with 120PSI compression, whilst a bit low it's not that bad.. As you have done all the head work it must be down to worn rings so you will want to keep an eye on the oil level but otherwise ride the bike and enjoy, you won't harm anything, just get a bit of soot in the exhaust.. Obviously you will be down on power a little bit, but I doubt you would notice..
A paper filter will definately catch the rust from your tank, obviously the bigger the filter the better as it will take longer to clog up with the rust.. Make sure the filter is placed before the fuel pump otherwise the rust will damage the valves in the fuel pump. Just keep an eye for fuel leaking from the tank, rust in the tank often leads to pin holes which leak and a leaky fuel tank is a very bad thing (Fire risk!) when its close to a hot engine! You can also look at removing the tank and applying some two-part epoxy sealant to the tank, this will prevent gas from leaking out of the tank and prevents the rust from getting into the fuel supply. You normally remove the tank and drain it. Then put a handlefull or two of gravel in the tank and shake it like mad for 10 to 15 minutes to knock all the rust loose. then rinse the tank out, let it dry and then apply the sealer.. I have heard of the epoxy coming unstuck from the tank but don't know if that was because it was badly applied or a problem with the epoxy. but it's much cheaper than a new tank..

Ride and enjoy

Gary

gnarlyroad

Postby gnarlyroad » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:14 pm

Thanks for the good reply. Looks like I've got next winters projects even before I finish this springs projects. :) Good thing I like to tinker. ;) Can hardly wait to get it on the road. Still have brakes and painting to do.

Old Fogey
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000

Postby Old Fogey » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:51 pm

If you haven't put any/many miles on it since doing all that work, you might get a pleasant surprise if you use it as is and get say a 1000 miles under the wheels. Quite often we find that the rings stick with sitting and need some good hard running to unstick them.
Image Image

'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

kanada
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100

Postby kanada » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:31 pm

For the rusty tank there is a DIY on how to remove rust.I tried it on some small parts and it seems to work.Also go ride the thing ,if it doesn't smoke your good.
When all else fails make Beer.

gnarlyroad

Postby gnarlyroad » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:09 pm

H ave been reading about the electrolysis method, the counter guy at the local Honda shop was telling me about using a zinc rod instead of a steel rod. The zinc apparently replaces the rust and lines the inside of the tank. Anyone ever heard of this plating process n a fuel tank.
Good news on the home front, I replaced the fuel line filter and adjusted the throttle control adjuster and the ride is sounding real good :D Noticed a difference right away. Replaced a bronze filter with larger paper filter. The bronze filter was gunked right up. Duh! Why didn't I try that sooner. :oops:

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”