coil problem I think

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
crowhorse
Motorcycle: looking at 1977 GL 1000
and 1980 GL 1100

coil problem I think

Postby crowhorse » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:28 am

Hi guys... 1977 GL1000 running on 2 cyl ...the 2 back cyls not firing... I suspect the coils ..Am I right in that the coils is set up to run the 2 fr.cyl. and the 2 back cyl.. ? I was reading about the neon coil pack conversion ..has anyone here done it ? I am off the road and dont like it..... well I have read on Steve saunders site that the neon conversion has worked .. However not much on a 1977 GL1000 conversion... Just putting it out there with limited funds also... Thanks for any help..

Life is what happens ..while you are busy making other plans---(John Lennon)

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Re: coil problem I think

Postby Placerville » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:07 pm

Placerville- 1976 Yellow

crowhorse
and 1980 GL 1100

Postby crowhorse » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:06 pm

Well, thanks for the help so far.... Took off the point cover,to check the points.. and I dont see any points that Iam used to seeing... I think it has a CDI ...Thats what a friend had suggested.. I will post a picture.. It has little springs and little round metal
studs that look like they make contact,during some motion...I do not know what this means in my quest to get it running again on all 4 cyl ...

crowhorse
and 1980 GL 1100

Postby crowhorse » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:03 pm

Here is the photo of the what I expected to be points.... The springs don seem the same tension and weak... ,but maybe thats how they are supposed to be... any help I would appreciate ....
Attachments

wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:36 am

Those defiantly aren't points. Just because you have another type of ignition doesn't mean that it hasn't gone bad. It doesn't look like a Dyna system. If you can identify the manufacturer, you may be able to get testing info from them, or by a Google search, and see if that is the issue or not. I would also check all of the wiring ignition related and especially scrutinize any connectors for continuity and corrosion. Best place to start. I would also check the coils regardless. All you need to do these tests are a 12 volt test light and an inexpensive multimeter which any DIY biker should have anyway.

Valve issues can stop a cylinder from firing. I'd still lean toward ignition.
Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

crowhorse
and 1980 GL 1100

Postby crowhorse » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:53 am

I have the other components to that ignition... I will put it back together and continue testing as you have suggested .... .. Thank you ...

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Postby themainviking » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:09 pm

That looks like a timing compensation plate to me. The faster you go, the more the wings open up against the spring pressure. Then when you slow, the springs pull them back in. If there were points there they are either deeper inside, which would mean they would run hotter, so would not be likely, or you took them off to get to that pic. You well may have electronic ignition. A way to check the coil is to reverse them. Put the coil you think is working where the maybe bad one is and vice versa, and hook them to the plugs they were not hooked to. If the rear cylinders begin to run, you have found the problem. If nothing runs, you have still found the problem. If the front ones still run, you have not found the problem, but your coils are good.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

crowhorse
and 1980 GL 1100

Postby crowhorse » Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:03 pm

On the CDI box by the coils ...the name is Martek -- ...Santa Ana , California
The ignition is all put together and starts, still no spark from the 2 rear cyl.... I might need to adjust the timing..because I took that apart, but it starts....

Wow this is really getting bad.. I only have today to work on it....and where do I get another coil? they don't make them anymore for 1977...or do they ? And it looks like I have to take the faring off to get at the coil nuts..

Whatdo you guys think ? Put on dyna coils ? where do I get them from locally I hope ? I mean advanced auto have them or any others ? Thanks

Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Postby Fred Camper » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:29 pm

Coils are not inexpensive. Dynatek is a great choice but not the only choice. I have seen several automotive coil systems work. I run the Dyna coils and am very happy with them. They are a well proven solution. I bought mine direct from a Dynatek booth at VMD a few years back.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”