Radiator puncture and battery issue

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
laxin20
Motorcycle: 1978 Goldwing GL1000

Radiator puncture and battery issue

Postby laxin20 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:46 pm

Alright well 2 issues...
First- I was trying to put on the bracket for the front fairing for my 78'. Turns out while I was finagling the bracket up past the radiator I punctured it and coolant came spitting out of a teeny tiny hole. Any suggestions on how to repair this without replacing the entire unit?

Second- I didn't ride the bike for a solid 2-3 weeks bc of weather or just didn't have time. I tried starting it (prior to the puncture) and the battery was dead. I just purchased a new battery in April and have plenty of riding time on it. So I don't understand why it would just die?

Thanks for all the help!!!

Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Re: Radiator puncture and battery issue

Postby Fred Camper » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:52 pm

Well, fully charge that battery and while that happens clean each connection as you follow the wire to the starter. Ginger root (radiator stop leak) may be worth a try. But these bikes are common and parts can be had on the cheap. So consider replacement as well. They can be soldered back up too. They are copper and brass.

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Postby Placerville » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:22 pm

A new battery that is (presumably) in good condition and fully charged won't die in the time that you've stated. That is, unless it wasn't fully charged or there's a drain on it. Do you have anything on your bike that's drawing current? Check this first as it's the most obvious cause. If that's not an issue, then you need to fully charge your battery. After charging, check it with a meter. A fully charged battery should read 12.73 volts. If it doesn't, it's not fully charged or it's not taking a charge. Take the battery to an auto parts store and have them charge it then subject it to a surge test. If it passes, then I'd re-look at the 'drain' problem mentioned above. If you're sure that it's not an issue, check your stator output.

You should keep your GL on an intelligent battery charger/tender while it's parked. GL's love fully charged batteries and keeping yours on a good quality tender is the way to go. Don't buy an inexpensive float charger. They will kill your battery in as little as 1 year. 'Intelligent' chargers will analyze, desulfate, and test your battery for trouble several times an hour along with keeping it at a maximum charge. The TecMate 3+ is an excellent intelligent charger for motorcycles and can be found for around $45.
Attachments
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

portugeezer
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1982 Gl500
1984 Honda Magna V30

Postby portugeezer » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:59 am

If the radiator just has a pin hole you can fix it with a propane torch and acid core solder

Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Postby Fred Camper » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:34 pm

Geezer is correct once again. That is the easy way.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”