1979 GL1000 Goldwing Fuel issue

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
loggied
Motorcycle: 1979 GL1000 Honda Goldwing

1979 GL1000 Goldwing Fuel issue

Postby loggied » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:21 pm

I use to ride my 1979 GL1000 Goldwing year around almost everyday. It started to die when idling at street lights. I just held the rpm's up with the throttle. After awhile it was getting worse, dying even if i held the rpm's up. but while riding it ran great, plenty of power and ran smooth. I got a newer Goldwing '03 GL1800. So i parked the '79 GL1000 for the winter. When I decided to clean it up so I could sell it. It started right up. It was low on fuel so i got on it right away and got about an mile down the road before it quit. I got 2 gallons of fuel but it still wouldn't start. It popped and acted like it wanted to run. I gave up and parked it for about a month. When I decided to take an look at it again I tried to start it just for kicks. To my surprise it started right up and ran until the floats ran out. I've taken the fuel line off the fuel pump and cranked it over and it pumps fuel out pretty fast. I opened up the carbs drains and just a couple drips.
What could cause the fuel to get to the carbs inlet but not to any of the carbs?? Can anyone give my any info??

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Re: 1979 GL1000 Goldwing Fuel issue

Postby Placerville » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:07 am

The first part of your posting points to poor carb sync. (When's the last time you sync'd your carbs?) But, the latter description of your problem could be one of several things. First, start with the basics (do these tasks in this order and don't jump around):

1. Make sure your fuel cap is venting properly or it won't allow air into your tank so the fuel can go out.
2. Make sure your petcock is working properly by rebuilding it.
3. Replace your fuel lines and filter.
4. Test for the rate of fuel flow from your pump. Here's how to do it: Disconnect the 'carb-side' fuel line from the pump and plug it. Attach a new line to the carb-side of the pump and run the other end into a measuring device. Start the bike and let it run on the existing fuel in the carb bowls. (If you have no fuel in your bowls, inject 6 oz. into the fuel line that attaches to your carbs.) The fuel flow rate should be about 15 oz. per minute at 3,000 rpm. Next, test for pressure. To test for pressure, remove the temporary line and, before you reinstall the original, place a T in the line. Start the bike. At the T, you should get 2.4 PSI at 500 rpm, 2.3 at 900 rpm and 2.0 at 5000 rpm.

If your pump fails the test, replace it, sync your carbs and test ride. If it passes, you've now proven the trouble to your carbs. It's time to remove them and do a rebuild (with a kit from Randakk) or send them away to Pistol Peter or Mike Nixon is you don't want to tackle the job yourself.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:52 am

When the problems with the EMGO fuel filters was occurring I had the same problem. A piece of the glue from the filter got through that was big enough to clog the passages inside the plenum. I had to pull the carbs and separate the plenum to find and remove it. Sounds to me like something may be in there clogging the passages. You might try blowing through the fuel line to dislodge the blockage if that's what it is.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

loggied
Motorcycle: 1979 GL1000 Honda Goldwing

Postby loggied » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:15 pm

I was thinking that the Plenum was clogged.. I was just hoping i didn't have to pull the carbs from the bike.. I'm just about half way from pulling them now anyway.. Looks like that's what i need to do..
Like I descriped I have plenty of fuel flow.. And I think the bike started the second time because the petcock was left on and over time the fuel seeped passed the blockage and filled the bowls..
Thanks

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”