A good reason to test your plug caps

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

A good reason to test your plug caps

Postby Placerville » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:48 pm

Below, in the first photo (top), is one of my bikes factory original 37-year-old Nichiwa KiKi XDT0F 'resistor' spark plug caps with approx. 21K miles on it. Below it, is a brand new Honda replacement, still branded as Nichiwa but, with an 'XD05F' model number and redesigned rubber. (Nichiwa was purchased by NGK several years ago.)

In the next photo, the original 35-year-old, 21K mile cap shows almost 10K of resistance but, in the last photo, the new cap is showing just under 5K. I don't think 'age' is as much of a contributing factor to increased resistance as 'mileage'. So, in only 21K miles, the resistance of the original caps has doubled. More resistance equals weaker spark which effects starting, performance and mileage. Although it's said that resistor caps are serviceable with up to 10K ohms of resistance, I believe that overall performance is effected long before that. After replacing mine (that were supposedly still serviceable), I noticed an immediate and positive improvement in starting, overall performance and mileage.

Placerville- 1976 Yellow

wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Re: A good reason to test your plug caps

Postby wjnfirearms » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:30 am

Good call, dude.

Most likely some sort of corrosion has built up within the cap. Any amount or type of corrosion can and will increase resistance. What many don't realize is that any corrosion, even small amounts of it, causes the electrical signal to have a harder time getting from point a to point b and isn't as strong when it does arrive there. Spark isn't as strong, lights not as bright, and so on.

Resistance also generates heat. As far as all things electrical, heat is bad.
Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:18 pm

I truly have no reason to use any type of resistor cap....As I understood,it was implemented to reduce ignition popping in the radio.
A technological solution to a 30+ year old problem.
I don't listen to the radio,I use Blue-tooth to MP3.
The caps do have a carbon core that will deteriorate with use.Why not use a non resistor type caps and full copper wires....???

Oh,yea,I converted my 1100 to full copper....It just ate up the AM radio..couldn't hear anything but the ignition system..
It also would outrun my 1200 too. :shock:

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Postby Placerville » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:54 pm

virgilmobile wrote:SNIP..."Why not use a non resistor type caps and full copper wires....???"

Good suggestion and very practical. But, I'm committed to keeping this Yellow 100% factory correct so, aftermarket caps won't work for me.

Placerville- 1976 Yellow

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”