79 gl1000 wont idle and fluctuates rpm's

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
greganderson
Motorcycle: 1979 goldwing gl1000

79 gl1000 wont idle and fluctuates rpm's

Postby greganderson » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:12 pm

I recently purchase a 1979 gl1000 that had been sitting awhile. I don't know how long, PO said awhile. He also said that the carbs had been done recently. Now, I have put 3 tanks of gas and 180 miles on trying to get it to run right. I used Sea Foam also. It does not idle below 2500 rpm and very sluggish until above 3000 rpm. Out on the highway she cruises very well. When i pull up to stop lights, rpm idles high, but when I cruise low speed 2nd gear, rpms stay low. Leaving a light, i have to feather the clutch and lunge from the line.
I took it to my friend, who works on V-Twins (Harleys) and after the usual 'ribbing', etc...he said I was looking at another carb job. He said the slide(s) may be sticking.
Needless to say I am disappointed because I just shelled out money for the bike and cannot afford a carb job too. Can someone please help me get through this. I have been reading and researching posts,with similiar issues as mine, but the information quickly goes over my head. I am NOT a mechanic at all. I have been enjoying this bike, for a week now and do not want to have to return it to PO and cancel the deal.????
any videos or photos would help...I can learn from seeing, not from reading
I feel like the guy in the commercials who whines until someone hands me a Snickers candy bar, but.....I have been waiting 10 years to get back on the road again and I hate to have to return the bike because of this.
thank you in advance

Greg Anderson

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Re: 79 gl1000 wont idle and fluctuates rpm's

Postby Placerville » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:09 am

If you can 'learn from seeing and not from reading' as you said, you are in good company. Many of us learn in this same way. You can rebuild the carbs by yourself with Randakks kit and video. If your are organized, patient, methodical and can follow visual instructions then you can rebuild your carbs. However, if you can't do that, and if you don't want to pay approx. $400 for someone like e.g., Pistol Pete or Mike Nixon to rebuild them for you, then I suggest that you cut your losses and take the bike back. Your statement that, "you are NOT a mechanic at all" makes me wonder why you'd purchased a 36 year-old vehicle in the first place? No offense but, did you think that a vehicle of this age would run like new......all the time? If you really want to keep this bike, I suggest that you dive in and learn how to work on it.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

greganderson

Postby greganderson » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:02 am

yeh, i expected to have to do the regular maintenance on a bike this old. I need some help though.
Is there any other info you can give me? what does its sound like to you? where do I start ....
I guess i am asking, give me a place to start off from without going straight to 'buying' a kit.
Thanks for your response.
Greg Anderson

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:35 am

There are a couple of possibilities. 1) The idle circuits, inside one or more the carbs, are still dirty and clogged up. Solution: Pull and clean properly. 2) The carbs weren't synchronized after rebuild. Solution: Sync or have them synched.
Famous last words from previous owners: "The carbs were just rebuilt." Ask him for the service records or the receipts for carb parts kit and see what he says. ;)
Very few mechanics, including Goldwing mechanics, know how to service these older Wing carbs. Good luck.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

greganderson

Postby greganderson » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:12 pm

I am going to go see the mechanic this afternoon and ask him about the previous service. The sync/out of sync is what has been on my mind this morning. (I drive truck so I think about this stuff, in the quietness is when the ideas seem to flow). Anyways, i read somewhere on here about Mystery Oil. I put in fresh gas, the doseage of mystery oil, sprayed the throttle and into air intake with Carb Cleaner, drove 20 miles or so and now she seems to be running real well. I was able to adjust the idle down to 1500. I have to go back to work but will mess with it again this evening and try to get it down to 1000 rpm.
I am really digging the way this bike handles and rides so I am happy about the results so far.

I am appreciative of this forum and the guys on it, thank you for your input
Greg Anderson

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Postby Placerville » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:16 pm

Greg,

If you insist on taking this approach, I suggest that you use SeaFoam. This product is closer to what you're hoping for than Marvel Mystery Oil. MMO has its uses however, for a long-term fuel additive that addresses fuel longevity, moisture, ethanol and adds lubricity to your carb slides, I'd recommend using StayBil Marine in every tank of fuel. This, however, won't address your current issues (and neither will MMO).

Regarding SeaFoam; it can help remove general build-up in your carbs. However, no 'spray-on' or 'pour-in' solution is going to fix dirty or poorly adjusted carbs. For that, you need to follow good mechanical practices e.g., a carb sync, a diss-assembly and cleaning or a full-on rebuild.

For now, buy a can of SeaFoam and add it to your tank per the instruction on the can. Ride your bike and hope for the best. I would suggest that you not use carb cleaners (like SeaFoam or Chevron Techron) on an on-going basis. These types of chemicals are very powerful and can loosen dormant debris and rust in your 35-year-old fuel tank that will then find it's way into your carbs causing additional problems.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

greganderson

Postby greganderson » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:26 am

thanks Placerville, i had originally used Seafoam, i use it on all our vehicles, mowers, etc. I have been told that seafoam is hard on the rubber pieces though, have you heard that at all? I looked at the Randakk rebuild kit and find it a great value. I decided that i am going to order the kit and plan to do the rebuild myself over the Fall/Winter months. I am going to do it for the education and the experience. I really appreciate the replies and comments.
Greg Anderson

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:48 am

Seafoam is, according to their info page, safe for rubber parts.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

greganderson

Postby greganderson » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:44 pm

thanks dingdong,
I personally have never experienced any wear or fatigue on any of the rubber pieces. Thank you for confirming....
Greg Anderson

vonzoog
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000

Postby vonzoog » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:52 pm

I did the Randakk carb rebuilt a couple of winters back. You have the right attitude and doing it during the winter months is the way to do it. Since you are a novice, I would suggest that you get the DVD video and watch it 2 or 3 times before you start. Do everything as instructed. Do not cut corners or take shortcuts.

Removing the carbs from the bike can be a bigger chore than the actual rebuilt. Don't worry, the video will walk you through that too.

Good Luck
Everything Old is Cool again.

greganderson

Postby greganderson » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:49 am

thanks ,vonzoog i intend on purchasing the video as well.
I have been watching youtube videos and I agree, the removing of the carb set-up seems to have its issues, among them mostly tight fits...

I accept the challenge for a couple of reasons- 1.) I am cheap and hate to pay labor charges for any vehicle repair, and 2.) to learn how to rebuild and sync carbs for personal gain and education.

I have 2 more good months of riding in Nebraska before the winter chill comes so I am enjoying my riding this bike for now. I LOVE the size and balance and feel of the Goldwing.

I have had some great luck with Mystery Oil and Seafoam. My idle speed is staying consistent at 1000 rpms right now and only having issues occasionally. IE: 1st gear at about 2500-3000 rpm when the engine is cold.
Thanks again and ride safe my brothers!
Greg Anderson

bluec10
Motorcycle: 1979 GL1000

Postby bluec10 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:04 pm

My '79 "just had carb work done" as well and when I opened it up I found problems. No way around the fact that you'll have to rebuild the carbs on a GW that's been sitting. Blasting all kinds of chemicals through the carb might clean out some sludge and plaque but too much will further degrade marginal seals and gaskets. When you do it, USE RANDAKK'S KIT!

The fluctuations you describe have me thinking that you have an electrical/ignition problem. OE coils are poor and are often have hairline cracks that create a poor spark. My GW had a pulsation that happened on the highway. Just found a crack along the seam of one of my coils.

I do all my own work on my bike. I can't imagine how much all the work I've done to my bike would have cost if I had to pay shop rates - thousands. The good thing about old GW's is that the are probably the most popular project bikes out there and there are plentiful resources,

Best of luck.

steveclk
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000 Goldwing

Postby steveclk » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:34 pm

I have a 78 GL1000 that has had the same issues. It sat for 8 years and I have been working on it for a little over a year
but finally have it on the road and am enjoying it. I also had carb problems and it wouldn't idle at first. I synced the carbs and
made a big difference. I am still figuring out some minor issues but through this forum I am almost done with it as they have
been very helpful. I did find out that once the carbs have been disconnected it is easier to remove them from the left side then from the right. I have had these babies out at least half a dozen times so it is now a piece of cake. If I could do it you certainly can.
Just be patient and follow the directions on the DVD. Good luck

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”