cool down time

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Leveled
Motorcycle: 1979 GL1000

cool down time

Postby Leveled » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:48 pm

How long does your engine take to cool down? Unfortunately, I don't have a garage or any roof-cover at my house so I'm putting a waterproof cloth cover (http://goo.gl/n6lT9f) over my GL1000 every chance of rain - which has been every night lately. Even after a short ride though, the valve cover is still hot to the touch for up to 2 or 3 hours. Do your bikes take that long to cool down also?

Is there any danger to putting the cover on while the engine is still moderately hot - other than the chance of it melting the cover?

thanks.

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Re: cool down time

Postby Placerville » Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:28 pm

That's a difficult question to answer as it all depends on the material of your cover. Some aren't affected, some are.

If I had to park my bike outside I'd get very tired of doing the 'on and off' thing with a cover. No matter how long it takes to cool down, you're probably going to have to wait to put the cover on unless the cover you have is impervious to contact with hot surfaces. That means, multiple trips back and forth and, pretty soon, a "to heck with it" attitude. If I didn't have a garage for my bike, I'd invest in a bike shelter cover. Yes, they're considerably more expensive than a cover but, they are a darn site more convenient. If one of these isn't in your budget, how about a small tent that would accommodate the size of your bike? Both would eliminate the 'waiting for the bike to cool down' issue.

Placerville- 1976 Yellow

wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:46 am

Unfortunately, I'm still in the same position as you, no garage. Until I do something about it, I bought a screen tent and use that as a landing place for the bike. Paid $40 on sale at K Mart and it's decent quality. Keeps the bike covered and out of the direct weather. It still can get wet if the rain comes sideways, but I still have a cover in the mean if it looks real bad out.

If you mean the engine is hot enough that you'll burn yourself on it after 2 hours, that's not normal. If you meant that the metal is still fairly warm, that's nothing to be concerned about.
Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

Leveled
Motorcycle: 1979 GL1000

Postby Leveled » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:34 pm

Yeah, somethings got to give. We're either going to move soon or build some sort of enclosure... Not quite a garage but something at least big enough for the bike.

After a long ride, it would be hot enough to burn for at least half an hour- 45 minutes. After that, it's pretty hot to the touch for a couple hours, but not dangerously hot. That sounds fairly normal then?

Thanks.

spookytooth
Motorcycle: 1979 gl1000

Postby spookytooth » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:23 pm

I just got back from a ride a little while ago. It was a short ride but the bike completely warmed up. After 45 minutes the pipes and engine were completely cool to the touch.

dwight007fchr
Motorcycle: 1983 1100 Goldwing Interstate

Postby dwight007fchr » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:17 pm

One thought that is dirt-cheap would be to take some old Miss Smith Deep Dish Apple Pie pans and rig them up with some wire in the right places so they will just lay right over the hot engine spots. Just lay those in place and then toss the cover on and they should be enough protection to keep the cover from burning. But if you cut back on your purchase of Miss Smith pies, maybe the next best thing would be some sheets of plywood to make a lean-too structure someplace around your house. Gotta be an inexpensive way to keep the Wing dry.

1grouch2u
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda Goldwing GL1000

Postby 1grouch2u » Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:29 pm

All I've got right now is a pretty cheap-o cover I got off eBay- if it's not hooked under the bike it'll take off like a weather balloon in the wind!- but I've quit worrying about putting it on the bike when it's hot. both the motor and the pipes have something that keep the cover away from the hot surfaces- the mufflers have those big chrome shields on them, which stay pretty cool, and the engine has crash bars that keep the cover far enough away from the heads- the only real concern is the headers, but they cool off pretty quickly themselves.

Like I say though, this cover billows out away from the bike with just about any wind- my old one fit tighter, but the elements got it wore slap out in very little time (a few years) after spending a couple of decades covering it in my buddy's garage. Before I figured out how to use it I cussed this thing- it would blow partially off, one side or the other- and sometimes I'd have to go track it down when it had picked up and blown down the street- but it really works well now that I've figured out how to use it.

I'm sure if it came into direct contact with the engine immediately after riding it would be a mess, but the cooling system on these works really well and it doesn't get just red-hot or something's wrong- most of the heat has been carried away by the radiator

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”