Fuel pump experience

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
TheArtist
Motorcycle: 1979 GL 1000

Fuel pump experience

Postby TheArtist » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:04 am

For alittle over a year I have what I thought was carb problems. I rebuilt them and it was better but rough idle and would kill, lack of power, hard starting, but still ran. I played with the carbs , tried different plugs, and finally this year I rebuilt them again paying more attention to detail. I went to start it up and was having trouble( it was on the stand) so I leaned over the tank to see if there was fuel to the filter. To my suprise I saw gas spurting out of the little hole, but only for a couple of seconds. :idea: :idea: Changed the fuel pump and :o . Idled great, power to spare. So for $85 it was well worth it. Just and FYI.

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Re: Fuel pump experience

Postby Placerville » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:28 am

Yes, you can count on both the fuel AND water pump failing after about 35 years. So, regarding your water pump, has it been replaced? Is it wearing out? Like your fuel pump, your water pump also has a weep hole. You might want to check it (and make sure it's clear of gunk as well).

Unlike a failing fuel pump, which is noticed when it effects performance, stinks and makes a mess, a water pump will still pump water long after its bearing starts to go, simply because it keeps turning. If left unattended, the bearing will fail completely and the impeller will beat itself to death against the housing making repairs more expensive.

To check your water pump, do this: Drain your coolant then pull the lower hose cover from the engine. You'll be looking right at the head of your water pump. If it has metal fins, it a replacement and it's most likely just fine. However, if it's brown Bakelite, it's original and it's life is coming to an end. To test the pumps bearing for play, place your thumb firmly on the tip of the impeller. Then, firmly, try to push the impeller from side to side and up and down. If it has any movement, no matter how slight, it's on its way out. (Impeller movement in a clock-wise / counter clock-wise direction is OK.) If you find that it has movement (and even if it's not yet leaking) you need to replace it. Put the cover back on, pour your fluid back in and order a new (best price) pump from Western Honda and a pump gasket kit from this guy. With these two items, you'll have everything you need to complete the job, except patience. "How To" articles available here and here.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

lear45jim
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000

Re: Fuel pump experience

Postby lear45jim » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:21 am

Just to add from my personal experience a couple of weeks ago. I was getting a GL1000 back on the road after 20 years of being stored in a shop. I got the bike running good, went for a ride of 35 miles and all the while it started running worse and worse. When I got home, I noticed the weep hole under the fuel pump spurting fuel and went online and ordered a new fuel pump. I consulted my friend, a retired Honda dealer and local bike expert, and he recommended an oil change due to the gasoline that bypassed the worn fuel pump diaphram mixing with the crancase oil. Obviously gas in the oil sounds like a bad idea, but here is what he told me that I did not think about. Gas in the oil can slip past the oil ring on the piston. It then is in the combustion chamber, thus changing the mixture and affecting the way the bike runs.

I changed the fuel pump and the oil and filter, and the bike again runs great. I hope this is helpful to you and I am glad to be contributing to the forum which has been instrumental in me getting my Dad's old bike back on the road.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”