And I'm in....

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
1979wing
Motorcycle: 1979 GL1000K
1979 CBX-Z
1972 750-4
2003 SilverWing
2004 BWS 50

And I'm in....

Postby 1979wing » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:05 am

Just graduated from Silver to Gold. Had a 2003 USA Silverwing FSC600, love driving it, but had an opportunity to pick up a 1979 GoldWing, less than 5000 miles, dressed up somewhat, for a song. So, now, I have a 1979 GL1000, Full Vetter kit, front floorboards, with heel/toe shifter, chrome Texas strips on luggage, plate holder, windshield trim, rad trim, front rotor covers, a real sweet set of custom fog lights...
Attachments
front view
front view

themainviking
Motorcycle: 2009 GL1800 AD

Re: And I'm in....

Postby themainviking » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:38 am

Welcome to Goldwing Docs. It is a helpful place. It would help too, to know where in Canada you are, in the event that you need on site help. Canada is a big place. Congrats on the bike purchase. It sounds like you got a real deal.
It ain't about the destination - it's all about the journey

ImageImage

greganderson
Motorcycle: 1979 goldwing gl1000

Postby greganderson » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:38 pm

congratulations on the new to you bike....you will love how these ride....I just got my first goldwing last month, a 79 as well....i thought it would be too big/ awkward, but man, do i love the way it handles and rides.....I hope you do too!
this forum is a great place to learn and share
PEACE!
Greg Anderson

1979wing
Motorcycle: 1979 GL1000K
1979 CBX-Z
1972 750-4
2003 SilverWing
2004 BWS 50

Postby 1979wing » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:46 pm

Well, nice to meet a fellow brother in Christ, with similar interests. Although I mainly play guitar and keyboard, I record my own drums (Roland TD-6 with V-expressions and KORG WaveDrum), and even play bass when necessary. I'm not an artist, though I can draw well enough to give my wife a mental picture...I'm three years older than you, but that just means I might beat you to heaven.

I've been married 25 years, have three boys (2 men...), 23, 18, 14. I was raised the son of a builder, so I can build just about anything. I was in the army for 7 yrs., so I can shoot just about anything, including Bofors anti-aircraft, and 6 inch howitzers.....I was in Customs for 5, and can sniff out a lot with a short conversation, and now I've been working IT help desk for 16 years, so I've found my true calling...service/servanthood. I get calls all day, calming people down and sometimes even counselling, while I fix whatever's wrong with their computers. I truly love my job.

OK, your turn
Jim Netzlaw
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

greganderson
Motorcycle: 1979 goldwing gl1000

Postby greganderson » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:23 am

alright, I have been a drummer from the age of 10. I played my first pro gig in a local polka band, filling in for the absent member.lol
I played in a country band at 14, high school rock band at 16, and left nebraska for california at 18 to 'pursue my dream' of being a rock star.
I got my first Honda Ascot 500 while living there. In California, you are allowed to split the lanes....driving between lanes of traffic to keep your bike moving and avoid sitting in traffic. What a thrill THAT was.
After meeting my wife and having a son, we decided California was too expensive and crowded, so we came to the midwest.
Here I continued playing in local bands but was not completely fulfilled. We started going to different churches and finally settled on one. I began playing drums in the praise band and I was 'born-again' I ended a 20 year battle with alcohol, that I struggled with, only by the Grace of God. I couldnt do it any other way. I realized that if God could give me sobriety, if God could give me a beautiful son, and if God could give me the peace and happiness that I never had....well then I want God in my life. Being a Christian is a daily thing, and it is not always easy, but I no longer have to worry and fret about thing. I know that He is in control and has a bigger and better plan for me than what I can imagine.
I had been a residential painter for the majority of my adult life. I went back to college at 40 to get a bachelors degree in graphic design and worked for a photography studio for a few years. Most recently i was offered a job driving truck for the postal system and have been doing that for the last year. I just bought this Goldwing because I needed a bigger bike and wanted to spend time with my wife riding. Our son is now in the teenage years and has his own schedule now.
I have spent all my free time riding and putting many miles on this bike in the last 6 weeks. I am always tinkering and teaching myself about this finely crafted machine, reading, researching, and spending alot of time on this Goldwing forum. All my friends ride Harleys and are not familiar with the 4 carb system, (or metric bikes as they call it), so I am challenging myself to learn how to work on this bike myself. This bike does get alot of compliments and my friends all have stories about "their dad had a Goldwing". So I am very happy that I too, stumbled onto a 'sweet deal' of a bike, like you said for " a song and a dance".
I look forward to alot of years on this '79 and I plan to pass it down to my son so he can enjoy God's beautiful creation; by riding on the open road and feel and sense everything that makes riding a bike so much fun.
Thanks for your story 1979Goldwing and I apologize for my lengthy blurb....too much coffee probably.
I would be interested in hearing other members stories as well.....life is good on a bike, and life is even better with a great group of friends who ride.
Ride safe everyone!

Greg
Greg Anderson

artgrantz
Motorcycle: Current: 2008 GL1800
Previous: 96 GL1500 SE
85 GL1200 I
85 GL1200 I
75 GL1000

Postby artgrantz » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:46 am

Welcome to the Forum. Enjoy your good looking new ride!

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”