Oil change while hot, but not all oil drained

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
spaceship
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000

Oil change while hot, but not all oil drained

Postby spaceship » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:23 pm

Hello, I am new to the forum. While I have read through this forum in the past this is my first post. I couldn't find any information on this issue so hoping I can get some help here.

I've had my bike (78GL1000) since last august and I've done 4 oil changes on it. The most recent one I warmed the bike up, drained the oil, changed the filter, and added 4 quarts of new oil as I usually do. I then put the old oil into the empty containers, but there was only 2.5 qts there.. Hmmm. I ran the bike, checked the sight glass and there was no airspace above the oil. I drained out 1.5 qts before the oil level was visible.

To me it seems like some of the oil stayed in the bike and didn't drain out. Yes, the bike was on level ground, on the center stand during the oil change and when I checked the sight glass. Is this just a fluke? could it be a sign of some issue?

I should add that the last two oil changes (the one previous to this one, and the most recent) I have been adding 1 oz per qt of oil of seafoam into the crankcase before warming the bike up, but not driving it any real distance before changing the oil. I don't add any seafoam to the clean oil.

The bike isn't running poorly or overheating.. Maybe I should be worried? It's just strange and got me thinking "why the heck?". Any input appreciated!

wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Re: Oil change while hot, but not all oil drained

Postby wjnfirearms » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:19 am

Here's my question?

If you drained out 2.5 but replaced 4 and checked the oil level after the change, was the bike overfilled? If not, then obviously either you leaked out 1.5 or burned it. I find it hard to believe that 1.5 stayed in the crankcase if the bike was set like you say it was when you drained the old oil. It is possible, and not uncommon, to use oil and not see blatant signs of usage. Most equate oil usage with seeing highly visible blue smoke by the exhaust. The signs can be more subtle and the exhaust may not be that visible, but oil is being consumed. A worn engine that is maintained otherwise may run well, but still use oil. I'm going to assume no visible leaks as you didn't mention any. Remember, you are driving a 35 year old machine with 35 years of wear on the internals. As you aren't the original owner and most people that get older vehicles have little or no idea of the full history of maintenance, you likely are running with 35 year old valve seals and piston rings, the primary culprits of oil consumption. Even if they were changed 15 years ago, they still would be 20 years old with that much wear. Wear is not just mileage driven, but calendar age as well. Even if you were fortunate to have found a very low mileage GL, not running an engine can be worse as far as internals go than one that saw a lot of highway under it's wheels. Seals get hard and brittle from lack of use for starters. This is why the thing about the old car driven by the little old lady that only drove it to church on Sundays being very desirable to get one's hands on is not all it's cracked up to be. The body and interior may be pristine, but the powertrain may be on borrowed time from lack of use.

If you did add the Seafoam before dumping the crankcase, your oil level should have been even lower before you added it.

How often do you check the oil level on a regular basis?
Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:00 am

Strange to be sure. Perhaps the Seafoam loosened up some sludge that plugged up the drain hole. ???
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

wjnfirearms
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
1980 KZ750 LTD
2007 H-D XL1200C

Postby wjnfirearms » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:51 am

If that was what happened, double d, that bike has been running with a seriously overfilled crankcase for who knows how long continuously. Not so sure about that one.
Member, Patriot Guard Riders, Blue Knights LEMC, PA VII

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:18 am

If I read the post correctly he drained out 2.5 qts without realizing that there was 1.5 qts still left in there. He then filled the engine with 4 qts. The overfill happened then.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:50 am

dingdong wrote:If I read the post correctly he drained out 2.5 qts without realizing that there was 1.5 qts still left in there. He then filled the engine with 4 qts. The overfill happened then.

That was my understanding as well. If that's the case, then something stopped the 1.5 qts from draining, even though it was hot/thin. It would take a significant amount of sludge to prevent 1.5 qt from draining out the drain hole. You would have seen big chunks in the drain pain, not to mention coming out of the drain hole.

Incidentally, I assume that I never know how much oil is in an engine when I fill it. I normally fill using 1 qt less than I know the capacity to be, then gradually add a small bit at a time, checking the level indicator until I get it to the point I want it.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”