Extra wire leftover from handlebar change?

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
djremos
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda GL1000

Extra wire leftover from handlebar change?

Postby djremos » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:32 pm

I am finally addressing the last major thing with my restoration of Brooklyn Gray, a 1976 Honda GL1000. When I switched to cafe style bars, I had to cut all of the handlebar wires on both sides in order remove the old bars and thread them through the new bars. It was a task and I ended up with an extra wire (brown with green stripe) from the left side of the bars. The left side had eleven wires while the right side only had five wires. Somehow the turn signals work but as you can see the right side is on at a steady high beam as well as the instrument gauge’s right turn signal. The appropriate side does turn on when I use the left hand turn signal. I looked at the wiring schematics offered on GoldwingDocs, but couldn’t see if the brown with green wire is spliced into one of the other wires from the left side. I was wondering if anyone knew where I went wrong during the re-wiring. Any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Attachments
Front of bike
Front of bike
Rear of bike
Rear of bike
Speedometer with turn illuminated
Speedometer with turn illuminated
Brown with green wire
Brown with green wire

If you can’t get it going with bungee cords and electrician’s tape, it’s serious!

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Extra wire leftover from handlebar change?

Postby dingdong » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:23 am

The Br/g wire is the P/park position at the ignition. It turns on the tail light with ignition in the P position.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:22 pm

On further inspection the Br/G also goes other places. Checking now.

The Br/G connection through the handle bars comes from the left side switch assembly. It actuates the turn signal buzzer. There are other Br/G wires but they don't go through the handle bars. So this isn't your problem. The front signal lights on the 76 are also full time position lights. So both front amber lights are supposed to be on. Time to recheck all of your connections.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

djremos
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda GL1000

Postby djremos » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:02 pm

Thank you for the response. I will try to check all of the wires and sliced connections again. I’m trying not to pay a dealer’s monthly rent and utility bill, so you know researching the wires is my priority. I have the wire schematics; it is just not making sense against the wires I have at hand.

If you can’t get it going with bungee cords and electrician’s tape, it’s serious!

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”