new guy

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
hotrodhellbilly
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

new guy

Postby hotrodhellbilly » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:48 am

hey folks! so my 77 gl1000 has an issue with the gauges, the tach seems to be sticking or some such thing, as it moves very slowly, if i stay at one rpm for any length of time it will eventually catch up but you can count to twenty before that happens, its a bit irritating as i like having a tach to keep an eye on. anyone else have this problem and know how to remedy it?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: new guy

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:13 am

There are a few things that could be causing it. The tach is damped with fluid, that fluid may be contaminated, or it could just be corrosion, or wear. In any case, it requires opening the tach case to diagnose and/or repair, which kind of ruins the ring around the bezel.

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Postby Placerville » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:31 am

Agree with WingAdmin and, before tearing into your tach, always start with the basics and then move on. (Nothing will upset you more than to open your tach, find nothing wrong and, only later discover that your cable just needed lubrication.)

First, fully clean and lubricate your tach cable. Use WD-40 or PB blaster to clean it out then follow up with some grease. Go for a ride and see if you've fixed it. If not, next look at the gear drive (at the fuel pump) and ensure that it's working smoothly. If the tach is still slow after completing these steps, do this:

Remove your tach and position it upside down. Using a 50/50 mix of ATF and Acetone, thoroughly clean the receiver area of the tach cable. It's possible that the bearing is dirty and corroded and is not allowing the bearing to spin properly. Drip some onto the spinning 'barrel' area and let it soak in for a few days. Next, (temporarily) re-mount the tach and take a test drive. If you notice a marked improvement, you've located the problem area. Unfortunately, this cleaning/lubrication is often temporary. As there's really no way to properly lubricate this sealed bearing from the outside of the tach, the bearing may seize up again. Try it for awhile and see what happens. This type of fix is a crap shoot.

If the cleaning/lubrication has no effect, you're now going to have to open the tach. At this point, you'll need to make a choice of whether you want to attempt this delicate operation yourself or have someone else do it. A word of caution: Removing and replacing the ring is not as difficult a task as is knowing what to do once your inside the tach. Some general 'How To's' for opening a gauge can be found here. Also, a good source for refacing/repairing gauges can be found here and many other sites that repair vintage gauges. A word of warning: Be very sure of your abilities in this area before attempting to 'repair' the internals of your tach or speedo. Another alternative is to pick up a good used tach from eBay or other source. - Good luck.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

hotrodhellbilly
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Postby hotrodhellbilly » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:37 am

thanks fellas! ill start messing around and see what i come up with. in the mean time, i have piles more questions, and when i have more time ill be sure to do a thorough forum search before posting them.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”