1975 GL1000 Starter

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Greezmunky
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000

1975 GL1000 Starter

Postby Greezmunky » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:13 am

first let me say my battery is good,and I've replaced the relay/solenoid.
I picked up a '75 that's been sitting for around 8-10 yrs.The starter wouldn't even budge when I got it,but the motor is free.So I take the stater apart and just give it a good cleaning,and now I can get it to spin using jump cables from a car.It still will not budge inside the engine,though.My solenoid is new,so I've got a loud click coming from it.The stater sounds like it want to do...something...but,no spinning/whirring/whining.
I can reach inside and spin the cog(inside engine)with very little resistance,so I don't think it's getting hung up,there.
I would really appreciate any advice as I'm still a little new to motorcycles,and the is my first Goldwing.I just need to get this thing spinning so I know what I need to do next to get it back in running order...Carbs/valves/points..ect..ect..
Thanks in advance!

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: 1975 GL1000 Starter

Postby virgilmobile » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:42 am

Just to verify,remove all 4 spark plugs and try again.
Sometimes a starter can spin on the bench with no load but loaded with full compression they just die off.
You can also boost from your car direct to the engine block and the starter stud to bypass a possible corroded groung lug at the engine from its battery.
If nothing you try gets it turning,pop the starter back off.
Remember,it relies on a mechanical connection at the brush plate to complete the circuit so corrosion there can kill the starter.
Double check the bushings too.the one at the head has a tendancy to wear.Under load it can bind up.

bucskin

Postby bucskin » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:37 am

The starter drive gear on a Gold Wing contains an over run bearing, because the starter chain runs all the time. The over run bearing latches when the starter spins, but releases when the engine speed exceeds the starter speed. My guess is the sprags in the over run bearing have seized from sitting. If you can kick start the bike or manually push start it, the running may lubricate and free the sprags allowing the over run bearing to latch and operate correctly.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:45 am

Good information,however he indicates the starter does not turn when installed.
Or so I gather.
The chain attached to the end of the starter only moves when the starter is spinning.The starter clutch inside the engine,behind the stator,disconnects.

Greezmunky

Postby Greezmunky » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:51 pm

Thanks for all the quick replies,fellas!
I went back out today with fresh eyes/ears/mind,and I did find that is actually spinning(a little).
After I press the start button I get the loud click from the solenoid,followed by a very faint sound of the starter motor winding down.

I did take the plugs out to see if compression was a factor,w/ no difference.I also tried jumping direct from a car battery to the starter stud w/ the same result.As far as kicking the bike over,I don't have the original kicker.I do have a socket wrench handle that fits in there perfect w/ no side to side play,but it will not allow me to get any real power behind the stroke.Also,the clutch cable was seized from sitting,so I cant try to bump start it(yet).I have a cable on order.

I am thinking that the starter just does not have enough torque to get anything engaged.I mean,I should be able to hold the starter button and it should keep trying to spin(correct?). I guess my question now is = would a new set of brushes even do this thing any good,or does it sound like toast? I hate to think of buying new brushes w/ the same results. I hate even more the idea of buying a used starter off ebay that "supposedly" works,only to get burned on the deal.

I guess I'm just looking for the answer of what a veteran goldwing wrencher would do in this situation.Again,thanks for any help you can give.Let me know if you need more info to go on/to answer.
Later Fellas

P.S. The reason I'm questioning torque is because I've read articles where people talk about bench testing and the starter jumping/spinning all over the place.I can touch the lead to the stud w/o having to put my foot on it or anything to hold it steady...It just spins the motor,pretty mildly.

bucskin

Postby bucskin » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:32 pm

Sometimes the battery cable terminals may oxidize and not carry enough current. I would take each connection loose, wash it with a baking soda-water mix. Then use a wire brush, sand paper or other abrasive to clean the terminals including the starter terminal. Any bad connection will overheat quickly, so you can hold the starter switch for 2 or 3 seconds and check for overheating. The early Wing starter switches were sadly inadequate. They would either over heat and the terminal parts would not mate or the back of the case would break and the internals would fly out. I modified my handlebar to accept a micro-switch purchased from Radio Shack. The headlight current flows through the starter switch, this is what generates the heat. My 6000 mile warranty lasted less than 60 days. We put more miles on them in less time than Honda anticipated and highlighted their weaknesses. There were some, just not many.

portugeezer
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1982 Gl500
1984 Honda Magna V30

Postby portugeezer » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:50 pm

Take the starter apart and clean all the gunk out of it. If the brushes are worn you can get a rebuild kit from Ebay! It probably needs a cleaning anyway and it will probably solve the problem!

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”