can someone please help me

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
BIG_D-R-E'
Motorcycle: 1977 honda goldwing gl 1000

can someone please help me

Postby BIG_D-R-E' » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:00 pm

I have a1977 Honda GL1000. It was running at the beginning of last summer. My brother took it on a long drive and on the way back it started to sputter and died.I think he ran it out of gas.I bought the bike from my dad and it started for a while, but soon after it no longer would. i tried a carburetor treatment, but it wouldn't start to run it through.i could really use some suggestions. oh and i can't get the seat off and no lights work in the front or turn signals. please give me a hand.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: can someone please help me

Postby RBGERSON » Sat May 01, 2010 9:12 am

Start by checking for spark at the plugs if youi've got spark then move on to gas issues..pull forward line off the fuel pump connect to an alternate source..temporary gas source gravity feed and see if she starts..if she does..clogged fuel filter and gas lines are the issue..if not then you may have to pull the carbs and see what they look like.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Victour78
Motorcycle: 1978 1000 GoldWing Naked

Postby Victour78 » Sat May 01, 2010 1:38 pm

If you have no lights check the Fuses in the false tank first. I think there are 5.. If that don't help open the clutch side false cover and check all the wire connections in there.. Do you have points or electronic Ign.. ?? Check all wires going to them... My CBX stopped right in front of the Yamaha Shop.. all wiring checked good with a meter.. used light bulb.. and found a defective IGN Swith.. The bulb created enough load to break the circuit.. just like running the engine would.. If all this fails turn the em stop swith back to on and Ride... I don't have a clutch sw but if you do check it and the netural sw.. I short them which make them run mode...

Missourimike
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000
1979 GL1000
1981 GL 1100
1962 150 Dream
1973 750 Norton
1983 CX650C #1
1983 CX650C #2

Postby Missourimike » Mon May 03, 2010 6:55 am

Like the others said...go down the list and check for spark. If you have an electronic ignition, be sure and keep the plugs grounded when out of the cylinders and firing them. Some electonic ign. tend to go bad if plugs are not kept grounded. Then the fuel supply...tank rusty? Filter? Fuel pump pressure(min.2lbs). Is the shut-off switch on the right handlebar in "run" positition? Fuse to ignition OK? Key switch working? Not much else to look at for a sputtering engine problem.

Irishroots
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000
1983 CB550SC

Postby Irishroots » Mon May 03, 2010 10:57 am

Here is my suggestion at a high level. In my humble opinion, to enjoy a vintage bike like you have, it will take really getting to know it inside out. A '77 with a relatively minimal maintenance will need some wrenching to be done on it if it hasn't been ridden and maintained regularly. You could have fire issues, you could have carb issues, but you probably have all of the above. In my opinion, this bike will work for you under two circumstances..1) If you are mechanically inclined and want to get to know it, or 2) if you have a trusted and reasonable mechanic who will work on vintage bikes and you are willing to spend the money.

Assuming #1...pull the carbs and rebuild them....the bike is 33 years old, and due. Replace points and condenser (or in my opinion, retrofit completely with Dyna electronic ignition). The tank is probably rusty and this probably got into the carbs...so if you rebuild the carbs...it will be worthless until you take the tank out (a decently big job), clean and seal. This addresses the fuel and fire issues to a great extent....you will get into syncing carbs upon rebuild, but that is a step you can address after the fact. Anyway, don't get me wrong...these are incredibly reliable and well engineered bikes, but will drive you crazy trying to drib and drab and put a band aid on issues that really require a more aggresive fix.

Missourimike
1979 GL1000
1981 GL 1100
1962 150 Dream
1973 750 Norton
1983 CX650C #1
1983 CX650C #2

Postby Missourimike » Mon May 03, 2010 11:27 am

Find the problem and then fix that problem. There are repairmen and then there are parts changers. Jumping in and changing parts just for the hell of it is time and money consuming. Tear it all down, change out ignition, carb parts and whatever else it takes to make a motor run won't tell you what your initial problem was and you won't learn to diagnose. Learning what makes it all tick will get you out of a jam in faster time, later on. But if you have unlimited resources and don't need the Wing to ride for a good while...start tearing into it. But get a HONDA factory manual, follow the directions, don't guess it, and if you have a Clymer book...throw it away.

Irishroots
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000
1983 CB550SC

Postby Irishroots » Mon May 03, 2010 12:03 pm

Bike has been sitting with carbs full of gas for a year and no history of any maintenance on the 33 year old. How many experienced wrenches on these vintage bikes think you should go blind playing trouble finder versus problem solver? Ask Randakk what might need to be done to this machine and I doubt it will be along the lines of putting a bandaid on it.

Missourimike
1979 GL1000
1981 GL 1100
1962 150 Dream
1973 750 Norton
1983 CX650C #1
1983 CX650C #2

Postby Missourimike » Mon May 03, 2010 1:02 pm

Trouble finder vs. problem solver? Find the trouble and then the solving comes next. They go hand in hand.
No lights on front(headlight?)and no directionals? Got tail light? Head light, tail light, and should be on the same circuit(fuse). What do you have power to, anything? Check main fuse(30 amp) at the battery if nothing and then it could be the battery. I know of one fellow who gave up on his bike after installing a new battery. Next owner found the problem...no acid in the battery!
If the bike has been sitting a year, or even months, I would have to agree that the carbs need to be taken out and cleaned. This is not a job for the amateur or faint of heart. 20 some orifices per carb have to be delicately cleaned and some are well hidden under caps and lids. Screens hidden too. Posts holding floats can be easily broken and then the whole carb body is junk.
Just a while ago today I was working on a '79 that had been sitting for years. Put the carbs back in, fired it up, but the bike wouldn't stay running without the choke all the way out. That's a trouble. How to solve is next. Diagnosis is lack of fuel, although I can see the fuel in the clear lines. Need 14 to 1 mixture of air to fuel. More choke cuts back on air to mix with too little fuel. Checked fuel pump pressure with a gauge in line(not deadheaded). Pumping at barely 1psi. Change pumps, gauge now at 2psi and the bike runs without the choke. Find problem, fix problem, bike runs.
You can have a dozen problems with a bike that has been parked a long time. You gotta find all the problems and fix them.

tfdeputydawg
Motorcycle: 06 Wing III/2010 Hannigan

Postby tfdeputydawg » Tue May 04, 2010 9:28 am

My 1500 had a fuel filter on it! Someone let us know if the one mentioned in the OP has a filter. If so, changing it would be appropriate.

BIG_D-R-E'
Motorcycle: 1977 honda goldwing gl 1000

Postby BIG_D-R-E' » Wed May 05, 2010 5:32 pm

Thanks so much for all of your ideas. the back tail lights do work and the filter was changed when it was still kind of running, but i don't no if it's the right 0ne because my dad has like a half of a role of electric tape raped around it so it's big enough to be held in the mount. this is my first motorcycle and i always have wanted this bike I'm a college student so of course i don't have a lot of money, but i'm out for the summer and i can really put some time in to fixing the bike up. I'm hoping it's no harder than the old nova i got running at the begging of last summer, but that took a lot of trial and error that i'm trying to skip on this project.thank you all for you advise and i almost forgot can any body tell me how to get the seat off

Missourimike
1979 GL1000
1981 GL 1100
1962 150 Dream
1973 750 Norton
1983 CX650C #1
1983 CX650C #2

Postby Missourimike » Wed May 05, 2010 6:01 pm

The seat has two bolts(12mm head) at the rear sides and bolt into the frame. Take them completely out, if the seat brackets haven't been notched to slip over the bolt. I do all mine that way, notching the brackets. The nose of the seat has a bracket that slides under another bracket or stay, if you call it that. Once the two side bolts have been removed, slide the seat backwards, might have to wiggle it side to side, about 2 inches to clear the front mounting stay.
Evidently, you don't have that Honda Manual yet, it would show you, so get one before you start tearing into stuff. G'Luck!

Victour78
Motorcycle: 1978 1000 GoldWing Naked

Postby Victour78 » Wed May 05, 2010 11:31 pm

Put all bolts into Ziploc Bags.. and write on them with a marker what is in the bag and why... I tore mine down to the frame and redone the whole thing.. If you don't know how to remove the Seat you are in trouble already... every part needs cleaned I was lucky the bike must have been garage kept for 15 of it's thirty years..No matter what you do some of the bolts will break off while removing. then you must learn how to install new threads after carefully drilling out the bolts.. I rebuilt 6 other bike in my time before I tackled the Wing.. You don't want bolts falling off or No Brakes..

Missourimike
1979 GL1000
1981 GL 1100
1962 150 Dream
1973 750 Norton
1983 CX650C #1
1983 CX650C #2

Postby Missourimike » Thu May 06, 2010 6:29 am

Good advice on bagging and tagging the bolts and parts! Some parts are held together with bolts of varying lengths.
And to be able to take stuff apart with minimal wrench effort and without breaking bolts....use a penetrant called KROIL. Available at Fastenal store here at home and few other places. It's the best stuff I ever found for loosening up stuck stuff. Makes WD-40 and other similar stuff look like spit compared to KROIL. You'll be amazed. Will save you $ in parts, too.

terryjenner
Motorcycle: 1975 gl1000

Postby terryjenner » Tue May 18, 2010 3:22 pm

Missourimike is correct. wholesale component swapping without good analysis keeps you from learning about the bike. I have two 75s. One was mistreated and one is an original one-owner. I frequently refer to the original to see what parts should look like, how cables are routed, etc. and this helps.

I recently had exactly the same thing happen to me that happened to mike. I had my carbs professionally rebuilt by Pistol Pete's service. While the carbs were out I pulled the tank and sent it out for de-rusting and coating. So I did timing belts, tensioners/springs, valve clearance adjustment, ignition timing (dyna s), new coolant hoses/thermostat, professional wiring to undo POs home depot wire nuts, no 30a main fuse...tons of stuff, cleaning up, etc.

I got it all back together and it would only run on choke. Then I figured out the main circuit in the fuel petcock was not flowing, and it would run (somewhat) on reserve, but it still would only run on choke and not very well at that. In the midst of all this there was a time the starter would not turn over at all! Had to do some serious investigation but I discovered the kill switch was shorting out. So I had two problems, not one. Keep that in mind. A lean condition (running only on choke) could be caused by too little fuel or too much air. this was a serious lesson for me. be patient and do lots of reading and asking questions or go get a brand new bike to ride. these old ones will test you.

btw now, after taking an initial 70-mile ride on my awesome old bike, the battery died and I had to jump it to get it home. I'm taking the battery in today for load testing, looking at all my connections, multimeter is working overtime this week, checking stator, rectifier, 7v regulator...

It is very satisfying when you get it all squared away but it takes time. best of luck

terry

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”