New guy in the house!

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
oldwingzrock
Motorcycle: 1978 honda goldwing gl1000

New guy in the house!

Postby oldwingzrock » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:41 pm

Hey to all my two, and three wheeled friends. I'm new here, I signed up after spending several days searching the web for information. I finally realized that the best place to get info is from the guys that ride the wings. I recently purchased a 1978 gl1000, it was sitting on a trailer in the woods under a tarp. The guy didn't know if it run or not and he wanted $500 bucks for it, this thing had set there so long the tarp had rotted away. I walked away, and about a month later he called me said he would come down to $300. Long story short I got it home and was able to get it to start, but found the tank, frame, and body parts were in very bad shape. I realized that the wiring harness had been cut on and some had even been burnt. Since the frame had been cut on I knew I would never put this bike back original, so I have chosen to rewire the wing to power only whats needed to start it, make the lights work, and try to get rid of the large connector block at the front of the bike. I'm hoping somebody here is familiar with trimming the harness down to the bare necessities and can give me the "how to do it info" Thanks!

thrasherg
Motorcycle: 2004 GL1800, 2005 Honda Shadow 750, 2008 Yamaha R6 with RG500 engine, CRF450X, CRF230, CRF250X, XR200, CR500

Re: New guy in the house!

Postby thrasherg » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:31 am

Sounds like you have got yourself quite a project there.. Before doing anything, I would be checking the frame for rot, as the frame is steel and that rusts quite badly when left outside, you need to make sure the frame is solid before doing anything else.. I am not familiar with the 78, but I am sure there will be plenty of people to suggest what can be done.. Welcome to the madness.. These bikes actually keep us sane!!

Gary

pricey1123
Motorcycle: 1979 Honda GL1000KZ

Postby pricey1123 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:34 am

Could always buy another frame? Just a thought :)

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Postby Placerville » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:24 pm

Welcome from California and to GWD.

There's an expression that's used by people that restore things. Cars, bikes, houses etc., it's all the same, It goes, "Sometimes, even if you get it for free, you've paid too much." So, before you make plans for this bikes future, make sure you haven't invested in something that's going to bleed you dry. Better to loose a few hundred buck now than sink 3K into it and find that it will never be roadworthy.

A lot of things on this bike can be fixed but, it may end up costing more than if you'd purchased a runner and started with that. As mentioned above, be sure the frame is solid and you have a good foundation to work with. Finding another frame is doable but, you'd then have DMV issues to deal with. Once you've got past the 'frame' issue, I'd focus on the engine. Make sure you have good compression then, change your belts. They should be the first thing you do. Regarding the wiring harness, you might want to consider finding a good used on one eBay rather than try to 'reinvent' your existing harness.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

oldwingzrock
Motorcycle: 1978 honda goldwing gl1000

Postby oldwingzrock » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:51 pm

I got the frame problem lined out, I fabricated what needed to be repaired. I only have one cylinder that has weak compression, motor does need to be rebuilt. It will definitely give me something to do this winter. So spring will be sink or swim, we shall see. Thanks for input!

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”