I think I hate my new tires!

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
carlrf
Motorcycle: GL1000 1978

I think I hate my new tires!

Postby carlrf » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:31 am

1978 GL1000 with full vetter fairing (not lowers), side and top bags. Stock suspension as far as I know, shocks may be aftermarket.
19k miles.
Just put new Shinko Tourmaster 230s on front and back.
Running max recommended tire pressures for two up riding (I know our combined weights exceed rated capacity at ~ 400lbs)
The bike is scary in turns and not all that stable on straights but managable. :shock:
Had moderately worn Bridgestones before and just wanted new rubber for reliability.
Have not had the bike long but dont recall this severe of a reaction to cornering.
Its like int drops or over steers when entering a corner then oversteers when trying to correct.
I am dreaminmg that a real fork brace would help but that would be just a continuation of throwing money at this thing.
I have got a lot of things dialed in and cleaned up so its running and looking good but wold hate like heck to put more tires on it.
Any ideas?

Thaks so much.
Carl

carlrf

Re: I think I hate my new tires!

Postby carlrf » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:11 am

carlrf wrote:1978 GL1000 with full vetter fairing (not lowers), side and top bags.
Stock suspension as far as I know, shocks may be aftermarket.
19k miles.
Just put new Shinko Tourmaster 230s on front and back.
Running max recommended tire pressures for two up riding (I know our combined weights exceed rated capacity at ~ 400lbs)
The bike is scary in turns and not all that stable on straights but managable. :shock:
Had moderately worn Bridgestones before and just wanted new rubber for reliability.
Have not had the bike long but dont recall this severe of a reaction to cornering.
Its like it drops or oversteers when entering a corner then understeers when trying to correct.
I am dreaming that a real fork brace would help but that would be just a continuation of throwing money at this thing.
I have got a lot of things dialed in and cleaned up so its running and looking good but would hate like heck to put more tires on it.
Any ideas?

Thanks so much.
Carl

I could not find the edit button in the first post so I cleaned it up with the quote.

Fatwing Chris
Motorcycle: 2004 ABS Model Goldwing

Postby Fatwing Chris » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:54 am

I know how you feel.My 1800 came with the new E3 radial tires(ran lots of E3 bias ply on my 12's and 1500)and really don't like the feel of them sometimes.What can you do though?It's either wear them out or pull them off,sell them and try to recoup some cash.Can't see them being worth a whole lot used,so I would probably wear them out.Good thing is that Wings chew up tires pretty quick.
If I'da known it would last this long,I'da taken better care of it.
Chris
Double Dark
Darkside # 1602

artgrantz
Motorcycle: Current: 2008 GL1800
Previous: 96 GL1500 SE
85 GL1200 I
85 GL1200 I
75 GL1000

Postby artgrantz » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:01 pm

What tire pressure are you running? Is it the max pressure listed on the tire? If so that is probably too high. Two up riding would most likely call for about 38 front 43 rear.
The quick turn in you experience could be the rounded profile of new tires. As they wear down in the center it becomes slightly harder to get them to lean over. Having too much pressure could exaggerate this. Try lowering the pressure and see how they feel.

carlrf

Postby carlrf » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:33 pm

Thanks, not the pressures on the tire. I set them at the pressures indicated on the rear fender for max load, those numbers you mention sound close if not exact.

artgrantz wrote:What tire pressure are you running? Is it the max pressure listed on the tire? If so that is probably too high. Two up riding would most likely call for about 38 front 43 rear.
The quick turn in you experience could be the rounded profile of new tires. As they wear down in the center it becomes slightly harder to get them to lean over. Having too much pressure could exaggerate this. Try lowering the pressure and see how they feel.

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Postby Placerville » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:48 pm

carlrf wrote:SNIP..."1978 GL1000...(I know our combined weights exceed rated capacity at ~ 400lbs)"

You're answering your question in your post.

The bike comes from Honda with a 'recommended' tire pressure for an average to maximum load. ("I set them at the pressures indicated on the rear fender for max load.") But, because you're exceeding that load, you now must bump up the pressure on your tires. Look at the 'Max PSI' rating on your tires and you'll see that it's greater than what's recommended on the rear fender of our bike. Push up the inflation in each tire by 2 to 3 pounds and go for another ride to test the difference in handling. I'm sure that you'll find that it improves.

Regarding a fork brace; some find that they improve handling in turns. But, if you had no issues with this with your previous set of tires, I see no compelling argument to purchase one. You may want to invest (if you haven't already done so) in a set of Progressive springs for the front end. Like the front brace, they make an 'incremental' but, not substantial, improvement.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

Rowdy
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000 1800 Goldwing Trike

Postby Rowdy » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:12 pm

My 1978 GL 1000 started driving bad also,I put a Shinko 230 on front and it still drove bad,The front right fork seal had a small leak so I replaced the fork seals , and now it drives GREAT!!!. It goes straight and makes turns much better.
North Texas Patriot Guards Rider Member ..

silverado6x6
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade
And 17 other bikes, 5 more Goldwings, 3 Ventures, 2 Vmax

Postby silverado6x6 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:33 pm

I have ridden two up on my 89 Yamaha Venture which weight wise is the same as a Goldwing with a set of brand new Shinko Tourmaster 230 tires, I set the front at 38, rear at 44 I believe, I might say for your bike 36/40 would be better. The Shinko is a soft tire, many complain it wears out too fast in the rear, I have ridden in heavy rain and they perform pretty darn good. Not as good as a CT though.
Founder of Steel Horse Restorations

carlrf

Postby carlrf » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:03 am

Thanks for inputs. I am still working with it. Seems better after getting more used to it. I need to remeber its not.going.to handle like a modern bike.

Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Postby Fred Camper » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:27 pm

My 1977 GL handles way better now that I have a fork brace. Since the forks on these bikes are small by todays standards, a brace does help. So while not a fix all, you may like to have a fork brace for improved cornering.

carlrf

The SHINKO TIRES were NOT the problem.

Postby carlrf » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:06 pm

The Shinko Tires turned out to be fine. I found a loose suspension component to be my problem. I am starting to question myself more. I check things and check them again and still miss or forget stuff.

Actually found this a while back but was too embarrassed to say.

Shoot, did I take my medicines this morning?
Is my zipper closed?
Do I have on matching socks, or shoes?
Underwear feel funny, better go check the tag direction.

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Postby Fred Camper » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:26 am

Appreciate the update. Sorry, but we all forget that stuff. Now what was I saying? On a two wheeler, even rear suspension has an impact on the front suspension and steering. Helps us all when we get updates like yours CarlRF.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”