Tank badge

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
pricey1123
Motorcycle: 1979 Honda GL1000KZ

Tank badge

Postby pricey1123 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:21 pm

Hi, does anyone know what metal the badge is on the tank? Looks like its been plated but its all flaking off so i'm gonna try replating it so would like to know what metal it is and if it can be replated.

Heres a picture:

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Re: Tank badge

Postby Placerville » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:09 pm

I'm pretty sure that badge is made of plastic, not metal. Plastic badges, trim etc., can be restored but, it's costly. The correct industry term for the plating of plastic is called 'Vacuum Plating' or Vacuum Metalizing'. If you Google that term, you'll find many shops that do it on both large and small scales. Look for small shops that do custom vacuum plating of vintage gauge clusters, interior trip etc., on autos. If you can supply them with a photo of a new OEM badge (like yours), chances are they can make it look like new. Here's one you might try.

If I were you, I'd first try cleaning the surface and then source some gold, red and silver paint and do it myself. By the way, if I'm wrong, and it's actually made of metal, it wasn't plated, just painted.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:48 am

Some of those badges are made of what I call pot metal. Metal that has to be cast. Sometimes made from an alloy of zinc, tin, a little iron or even lead. All because it is cheap to manufacture.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Placerville

Postby Placerville » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:38 pm

If that's the case, it would be a plus. That means it was painted and not plated. The paint can be removed with any hardware store paint stripper (with no harm to the badge) and repainted.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

pricey1123

Postby pricey1123 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:22 pm

Its metal as it isnt light or flaxable as the side panel badges, unless its been replaced from plastic badge to a metal badge?? :? I was thinking of painting myself but the 2 choices I have could be difficult. Spray painting which would cover the whole badge (including the black surrounding and red part around 'Goldwing') and if I hand paint wont that leave brush marks? I'm ODC with these as theyre the first thing I'll see when I jump on the bike so It'll bug me if it isnt really good finish. Also looking to entering the bike into shows so little detail makes a big difference I say :D

Pricey.

Placerville

Postby Placerville » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:04 pm

I understand. Looking at your badge (and if it's metal), here's how I'd do it:

I'd first take a photo to be sure I knew how it should look when done. I'd then strip it, clean it, wash it in vinegar and then soap and water. I'd then give it a coat of enamel metal primer. I'd let it cure for several days to be sure that any paint applied next wouldn't effect/disturb the primer. I'd then spray it with a single coat of enamel satin black to complete the lower portion or background color. I'd then source/mix a correct red for the 'GoldWing' background and fill it in. Tip: If you get any paint on the lettering or on anything outside the area that's to be painted, it's easy to wipe it off it off with your finger slightly moistened with paint thinner. You can do a very clean job using this method. I'd then apply the gold and (what looks like) silver? I've done many small items like this with excellent results. The best tools to use are a toothpick (to apply the paint) and the paint thinner 'trick' I mentioned above. The paint thinner wipe works best if you first moisten a rag with thinner. Then, wipe the pad of your finger across the rag to get just the right amount of thinner on it. Roll your finger across the area. Practice makes perfect.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

pricey1123

Postby pricey1123 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:55 am

That sounds brill!, Will give it ago in the next couple of days. It should be gold colour where the silver is but its flaked off over (I'm guessing) 33 years and needs a good TLC.

Pricey.

spookytooth
Motorcycle: 1979 gl1000

Postby spookytooth » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:56 am

Those badges are definitely cast. They go on the glove compartment of the 78/79. I replaced mine with a decepticon badge. Geeky? Maybe... But the kids think it's super neato.

Richman2000
Motorcycle: 94 GL1500SE

Postby Richman2000 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:35 pm

If you decide to take your badge to the next level, you can have it nickle plated then gold plated. The colored secions can then be painted and clear coated. It will stand out like a jewel on the finished bike.

Ride Safe
Rich

pricey1123

Postby pricey1123 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:27 am

Well here is my end result after rattle canning and using hammerite gold paint, im too afraid to colour the red part in just incase i ruin it so its staying at this, what do you recon? Next question is to lacquer or not to lacquer

Placerville

Postby Placerville » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:42 am

Rule: Enamel is OK over Enamel or Lacquer but, never apply Lacquer over Enamel (it will pull it up). So, your clear coat should be Enamel. Filling in the red area is fine if you wait a few days for the other paint to be completely cured. Then, use only Enamel paint for the red. Looking good so far!

Placerville- 1976 Yellow

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”