Will 81 gl1100 wheels work on 78 gl1000?

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
carlrf
Motorcycle: GL1000 1978

Will 81 gl1100 wheels work on 78 gl1000?

Postby carlrf » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:36 pm

I want to convert to tubeless wheels on my 78 1000 and have found a set of 81 gl1100 wheels for decent money.
Will these replace my originals without modifications? Through previous research I have convinced myself the 81 wheels are designed tubeless, with ridges or bumps to prevent the tire from droping off the bead and hopefully preventing catastrophic immediate airloss and inevitable dire consequences.
Thanks in advance for any information that would be helpful.
Carl
Kansas City

redial
Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: Will 81 gl1100 wheels work on 78 gl1000?

Postby redial » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:23 pm

I have never heard of anyone having to change wheels because they want to put tubeless tyres on. I would be pleased if you can find a technical reason to do this, but as long as the rims are clean and smooth, the rubber should seat ok.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

carlrf

Postby carlrf » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:52 pm

redial wrote:I have never heard of anyone having to change wheels because they want to put tubeless tyres on. I would be pleased if you can find a technical reason to do this, but as long as the rims are clean and smooth, the rubber should seat ok.

Oh yes, I would be glad to, as I questoned it myself.
To begin with, I am winging the info off memory at the moment but there is documentaion out there somewhere.
AND, I certainly dont want to argue any points as I don't have the energy to research (again), support for my beliefs.

Anyway simply put, tubeless specific rims have either bumps or ridges on the rim to prevent the tire from slipping down into center recess of the wheel in the event of a slow or gradual decrease in air pressure.

You can certainly fit up tubeless tires to these old rims without mounting issues. You can even do it with spokes with a little effort.

But, as the tire slowly losses air, either due to a leak or just air loss over time, the tire can slip off the rims edge into the center recess, causing instant and total air loss, likely resulting in loss of control of the motorcycle. Tire may even come off the rim completely.

Riding motorcycles can be a gamble when everything is perfect, I just choose to increase my odds for survival to the extent possible with the knowledge that I can gain from sites like this. And I have gained a lot from fellow riders.

Take this or leave it, your choice obviously, and happy riding!

carlrf

Postby carlrf » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:02 pm

And BTW, when mounting up my tires with the tubes, it was painfully evident how eager the tires were to head towards the center recesss, if you can picture what I maean. :o

I think these tubeless beads on the rims are one of the reasons you get such a "pop" when finally seated. Mine didnt have hardly any "pop" and yes the tires are seated as good as they can be. I have changed many tires on my hands and knees have a good feel what is seated and what is not, not meaning to sound boastful. :)

Missourimike
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000
1979 GL1000
1981 GL 1100
1962 150 Dream
1973 750 Norton
1983 CX650C #1
1983 CX650C #2

Postby Missourimike » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:50 pm

Carl, got your PM about the Lesters. Mine were sold long ago. As for your wanting tubeless rims, are they for the '78 in your picture? Do you not already have tubeless rims on it? If you look closely at your rims, see if it doesn't say "tubeless tire applicable", stamped into the outside in the black area. One really can't tell if a rim is of this type, by looking at the outside design only. True, the Lester wheels are machined with a bead to hold tubeless tires, but not all tubeless rims show this.
On my '79 Tourer, I use a tube in the front, even tho' it is a tubeless rim. That's for my peace of mind in case I hit something that would tear into the tire. The tube is an extra measure of safety, an extra layer to slow down deflation. In the rear, I run tubeless.
You can mount later model mag wheels on the front, off 1100s onto a GL1000, but it takes some shimming for the rotors to clear the calipers. Rear wheels can be trickier, what with the final drives being different on some 1100s and1200s. A 16" rim with a 130/90-16 tire will barely clear the driveshaft housing. I couldn't tell you what you may encounter fitting the rear brake parts.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”