Electric ignition instead of points

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
pricey1123
Motorcycle: 1979 Honda GL1000KZ

Electric ignition instead of points

Postby pricey1123 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:58 am

Hello, after reading about converting to electric ignition I'm thinking of buying one to replace my points. I've been looking at Dyna, are they good? Are they direct replacement? Any mods for it to fit? What advantages would I get/see? Any disadvantages? Any thing to look out for? Hint/tips would be great

Many Thanks. :mrgreen:

artgrantz
Motorcycle: Current: 2008 GL1800
Previous: 96 GL1500 SE
85 GL1200 I
85 GL1200 I
75 GL1000

Re: Electric ignition instead of points

Postby artgrantz » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:24 am

It has been a long time, about 14 years and 4 bikes ago, but I installed the Dyna Electronic ignition in my 75 Wing. It was a simple task, direct replacement, everything fit into the housing where the points and rotor are. It made the bike easier to start and improved my gas mileage slightly.

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Postby Placerville » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:15 pm

Overall, I'm in favor of electronic ignition. I've had both and I consider electronic to be less work and a fine performance boost. And, for those of us who like our GL's to look 'factory correct', the addition of a Dyne set up is virtually undetectable. There is, however, a minor modification that needs to be done to the air cleaner box inlet tube to make room for the Dyna coils. (The modification involves shortening the air inlet tube by 2".) In my case, I set my original air box aside and modified a used one I picked up off of eBay.

There is one downside to a Dyna system. That is, if they fail, you're toast. Meaning, if you're on the interstate in the middle of nowhere or in your driveway, you're toast. With points, you can be on the road again within minutes if you have an extra set with you. So, that is the main argument that I've seen and it's a valid point. For me, I'm OK with that risk and I've had my Dyna in place since '91 without a problem.

If you choose to go with electronic ignition, I strongly suggest you go with a Dyna. They are a market leader and their customer support is second to none. Also, don't do the job half way by only installing the ignition. Do it right and install both the ignition and the coils. After you install them, finish the job right by installing a new set of copper core wires and resistor plug caps. (NGK resistor caps are fine and OEM's are still available from Honda.) It's very important to install new caps as, over time, the resistors degrade to the point where the spark is greatly reduced. When you spend a lot of time and money on a new Dyana ignition (to gain better performance and a hotter spark), you don't want to degrade that spark by leaving your old caps in place.

With the installation of the Dyna ignition AND the hotter Dyna coils, your output voltage will be much higher than the stock coils so you can go with a wider spark plug gap. A wider gap means a bigger spark. A bigger spark means better performance. In a place where explosions take place very rapidly, this is a decent boost. When running a Dyna ignition and Dyna coils, the ballast resistor is eliminated and the connectors are jumped together.

Z1 Enterprises carries the DynaS, Dyna coils, and Dyna wires as separate stock items so you can pick and choose. Even though some may recommend dropping resistor caps in favor of non-resisters, note that Dyna suggests the use of resistor caps. As stated above, NGK and OEM caps have resistors.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

pricey1123

Postby pricey1123 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:59 pm

Looking on Dyna UK I've found the electronic ignition but I'm struggling on the coils. Would I need Dyna Ignition Coils 3 ohm Dual Output DC1-1 Wires DW-200?

Placerville

Postby Placerville » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:43 am

You are correct on both the coils and wires. A tip: Save all of your original boots, caps and wire clips from your old system. You may find that they fit, or you like them, better.

Placerville- 1976 Yellow

pricey1123

Postby pricey1123 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:00 am

Smashing! :D Will get them on order within the next few days, Thank you for your help. :mrgreen:

With having hotter sparks could I use NGK Iridium or are they a no go/stay away?

Placerville

Postby Placerville » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:21 am

After a carb rebuild with new ignition wires and caps, my bike was running at it's best so, I tired a set. I switched back and forth between Iridiums and stock NGK D8EA's and, frankly, I could not detect a difference. Perhaps if it was put on a Dyno a difference could be noted but, what's the point of that? I've found that I can gap my D8EA's 4 mm wider before it starts to ping. That increased gap gives me a wider spark so, I'm happy with that. Start with the widest factory setting on them then bump it out until you note a ping or a performance issue. You'll find the gap that works best for your bike.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

sfruechte
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Postby sfruechte » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:20 pm

I installed a Martek ignition on my 1977 with around 10,000 miles back in 1978 and it is still working fine 35 years and 210,000 miles later. It was more of a contraption than the current Dyna's though with an extra box that had to be mounted near the air cleaner. I also installed a Dyna in a different 77 recently and I used the stock coils. There was a different ballast resistor and that came with the Dyna. So, I don't think you really need new coils, just the ignition which fits neatly where the original points are.

pricey1123

Postby pricey1123 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:30 pm

Quick question(s) as my new coils/ignition/wires will be in the post anytime now. You mention the ballast resistor is eleminated so is that just joining the wires together? And do I still need my condensor?

Placerville

Postby Placerville » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:53 pm

No, you don't need a condenser. The Dyna instructions state that the resistor is not required is using the Green 3 ohm coils. The instructions are as follows:

"The Dyna S Electronic Ignition System replaces your entire points plate assembly and mounts in the original position. It was designed for use with the stock coils, however, it may be used with other coils that have at least THREE OHMS primary resistance, in which case the BALLAST RESISTOR WILL BE BYPASSED."

When you receive your instructions, you'll know what to do.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

pricey1123

Postby pricey1123 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:02 pm

I've had my parcel and wow! couple of more questions though. :lol:

1) My Dyna ignition came with a (I'm guessing) ballast resistor as its the same shape and length as my old one so is this needed with my coils or just bypassed?

2) It mentions it needs a 12v supply by wiring it to the winker relay wire, I think I saw in the manual that I could use my Aux or ACC? as mine is the KZ model? I can't flick through the manual at the moment as its with the bike at my other garage. :roll:

electrics are not my strong point and I'm only 20 years old so hang on with me as this is my second bike/first very big bike to restore, don't see many of us restoring a goldwing in the UK usually mopeds haha :lol:

Placerville

Postby Placerville » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:32 pm

1. The Dyna Ignition comes with a ballast resistor tossed in because a customer may be installing it with stock coils. In this case, it's needed. However, if you're installing Dyna coils (which I understand that you are) the ballast resistor is not needed.

2. You can use any fused hot wire that turns 'hot' when the ignition is turned to the 'ON' position. However, if I were you, I'd follow the suggestions in the installation manual. Also, I suggest that you not use any funky 'clip on' connector for your Dyna ignition hot wire. You need a good, solid connection so, do it right.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

pricey1123

Postby pricey1123 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:46 pm

The wires that connect to the coil, not the HT leads the coloured wires.. Which colour wire goes on which coil? I've followed a diagram for a GL1000 with stock coils, is this right? I.E: Left coil is Blue & Black/White. Right coil is Yellow & Black/White. It doesn't state in the manual this, unless I have a page stuck together. :oops:

Which way round do they connect on the coil or doesn't it matter? Sorry if explained a little unclear.

Placerville

Postby Placerville » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:44 pm

You are correct. See below...
Attachments
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

pricey1123

Postby pricey1123 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:37 pm

Well after a little fiddling around with the new coils, ignition and setting the timing manually it fired up at the press of the start button, I use to get alot of backfiring with the old coils and points but now its runs great!! If people are wondering wether or not to go electric ignition I say it's a big improvement so its a yes from me!

Thanks for the help :D

Pricey.

RacerM95
Motorcycle: 1977 GL-1000

Postby RacerM95 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:35 pm

Just curious ( I know Im getting into this a tad late) What about the Pertronix conversion parts ?
Ride like you are invisible, Because you are ! Only 2 exceptions to that, 1) You ride a Harley, They hear ya coming a mile away ! 2) You ride a Goldwing, You are too dayum big to miss !!!!!

aussiegold
Motorcycle: 1975 Goldwing (No 8 to come to Oz )
1976 LTD cleverly diguised as an 81 interstate
1976 LTD.. a feller with 2 LTD's can't be all bad.....

Postby aussiegold » Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:01 am

in my opinion, if you want to upgrade the ignition to " electronic " the best way is with the C5 . it has been upgraded recently , so the module its in the stock housing.
it comes with coils which are multispark, and an optical beam trigger.
second best is the Dyna system, which uses the Hall effect system ( magnets).
i have both . and have used the Dyna coils with points as well. the C5 is miles in front.

Old Fogey
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000

Postby Old Fogey » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:31 pm

aussiegold wrote:in my opinion, if you want to upgrade the ignition to " electronic " the best way is with the C5 . it has been upgraded recently , so the module its in the stock housing.
i have both . and have used the Dyna coils with points as well. the C5 is miles in front.

There is also an optical system built in the UK; http://www.newtronic.co.uk/newtronic/sy ... htmlsystem

Priced between the Dyna and the C5 systems
Image Image

'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

aussiegold

Postby aussiegold » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:10 am

Old Fogey wrote:
aussiegold wrote:in my opinion, if you want to upgrade the ignition to " electronic " the best way is with the C5 . it has been upgraded recently , so the module its in the stock housing.

There is also an optical system built in the UK; http://www.newtronic.co.uk/newtronic/sy ... htmlsystem

Priced between the Dyna and the C5 systems

that looks to be a very reasonable option. looks like you use it with stock coils ? i have a pirhana one that also runs the stock coils. of course , these ignitions require the " brains " of the system to be mounted some where. whereas the C5 and Dyna fit into the stock points housing.
i know that Dyna has a good rep , but i will not buy another. i have had 2 out of 3 fail. i still have a set of DYNA coils i am saving for my LTD. it still has stock coils and they cant last forever.....

aussiegold

Postby aussiegold » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:40 am

had another ( and the last ) Dyna fail on me today. that's it for me. that makes three out of three. no more money wasted on dyna. refitting points on the side of the road in 35 degree heat has cured me. from now on , its C5 0r nothing.

Doug T
Motorcycle: 1976 GL 1000 Goldwing Honda

Postby Doug T » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:19 pm

What are C5 and could I get them in Canada?

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Postby SnoBrdr » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:36 pm

Doug T wrote:What are C5 and could I get them in Canada?

C5 is a brand of ignition.

http://www.c5ignitions.com/

It's NOT a cheap setup but it includes everything you need, including special coils and wires.

Best money I ever spent on the bike.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”