ignition problem

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
hazzy1amx
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

ignition problem

Postby hazzy1amx » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:18 pm

This is my first Goldwing and my first posting....I'm not familiar yet with the twin coils.....I seem to have a firing issue....I don't seem to have a much of a spark if any coming from the 1 and 3 cylinders....I checked the temperature of the pipes at the head...it was very low....I pulled the plug wires off one at a time while the engine was running...not much difference when I pulled 1 and 3.....when I pulled 2 and 4 the engine died....I'm lost and eager to learn...can someone help me??

bustedwing
Motorcycle: 1990 Gold wing Trike

Re: ignition problem

Postby bustedwing » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:06 pm

You are on the right track. I would suggest that you check out the troubleshooting guide for your bike under the manual section.
Proud member Patriot Guard

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:27 am

One coil fires 1/2 and the other fires 3/4. so probably not the coils. The plug wires and or caps would be my first place to look. The caps are resistor caps. There is a 5k Ω resistor in each cap. They can be removed by removing the screw inside the cap. May be bad or corroded and not making a clean contact. Also unscrew the plug wires from the caps and snip about 1/4 to 1/2 inch off, clean the screw ends and replace. Just a place to start looking!
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Postby Placerville » Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:42 am

Good advice from dingdong.

Below is a diagram of your coil set up so you can see how they distribute the spark. It seems a little unusual that you're not getting a good spark on 1 and 3 (rather than 1 & 2 or 3 & 4 which would indicate a bad coil) but, it is what it is. Electrical problems must be pursued by 'sentimentalized testing' meaning, you must go methodically, from one item to the next, and in the direction of the current flow to effectively locate the problem. If you jump around, guessing at this and that, you'll only end up chasing your tail.

As he stated, remove your caps and ensure that you have a clean end on your wires. Then, I suggest you put an ohm meter on ALL of your caps and measure their resistance. New resistor caps measure at 5 ohms. Any number approaching 10 ohms means your resistors are breaking down and are retarding your spark. If any of your caps measure 8 ohms or more, replace them with a new OEM or NGK set. Then, try to recreate the problem and pay particular attention to the possibility of a spark jumping to ground from the #1 #3 wires due to damage. If the problem still exists (and you're sure your wires aren't damaged), you'll want to pull your plugs and replace them. NGK D8EA's are inexpensive and, after they're replaced, you'll have removed one more possibility from the equation.

If your still having a weak spark after completing the above, re-post for more help. (My next suggestion will be to replace your plug wires but, don't do that without further advice.)
Attachments
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

hazzy1amx

Postby hazzy1amx » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:54 am

Thank you for the response my friend.....that's pretty sound advice...Im going to check on those items today.....I hope you had a great holiday and i'll keep you posted.

Hazzy

hazzy1amx

Postby hazzy1amx » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:58 am

bustedwing wrote:You are on the right track. I would suggest that you check out the troubleshooting guide for your bike under the manual section.

Thank you my friend for your response....the adventure continues!!

hazzy1amx

Postby hazzy1amx » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:00 pm

dingdong wrote:One coil fires 1/2 and the other fires 3/4. so probably not the coils. The plug wires and or caps would be my first place to look. The caps are resistor caps. There is a 5k Ω resistor in each cap. They can be removed by removing the screw inside the cap. May be bad or corroded and not making a clean contact. Also unscrew the plug wires from the caps and snip about 1/4 to 1/2 inch off, clean the screw ends and replace. Just a place to start looking!

Thank you brother...You gave me some ideas...Thanks

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”