Air in gas line

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
halibut
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

Air in gas line

Postby halibut » Tue May 04, 2010 6:02 am

I have recently acquired a 78 GL1000 in nice condition with 85000Km Compression is 170 even. Did carb work and synyc but it runs rough and coughs on idle. especially cold from start up. Plugs new . I noticed a lot of bubbles in gas line . A big fat one sits just below the gas tank and smaller ones come out of the fuel pump through the cone filter and into the carb . not a steady but intermittent regular flow of air bubbles. Is this normal or if not , what is the likely cause? I see no gas around the clear hoses. I think first simple thing is to get new hoses and filters. The filters look new and clean but the clear hoses have turned yellow and are quite soft with no spring type clamps anywhere.We drained the tank to do the carbs and gas flows well through the shut off and the screen inside is clean. I'm hoping that if I can clear up these air bubbled it might idle better but I'm not sure if this is a problem. Any suggestions?

gnarlyroad
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Re: Air in gas line

Postby gnarlyroad » Tue May 04, 2010 9:33 am

Its a vaccum line, the fuel pump is pulling air in somewhere . Put on fresh hoses and good clamps and tighten till air leaks stop. Mine when I found it was at the connection to the petcock. If like me you have some air in the inline fuel filter this is a likely culprit.
Gravity isn't just a good idea. It's the Law.

halibut

Postby halibut » Tue May 04, 2010 10:44 am

OK Thanks I'll start with new hoses

halibut

Postby halibut » Tue May 04, 2010 11:52 am

New Hoses no more leaks. Still Idles rough though but acceptable Thanks for the help

gnarlyroad

Postby gnarlyroad » Wed May 05, 2010 9:58 am

Just noticed you're from Courtenay. I live just down the road in Nanaimo. Welcome to the forum. :D

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed May 05, 2010 11:13 am

I've got a good friend of mine who lives in Nanaimo. Never been there, but hear it's nice!

halibut

Postby halibut » Wed May 05, 2010 6:25 pm

Sorry for the delayed reply. Nice to hear from new friends Just out on the Inland HWY trying to blow the carbs out but no luck . New hoses new filters and still hesitation on acceleration in low RPM below 3000 . It seems to be missing on one or two then breaks losse once it gets up higher rpm. Idles a little rough and when your cruising I smell raw gas a lot. Mileage seems bad but I have been running it a lot in the garage and playing with the throttle a lot on the road. Hard to say to much as the guy I bought it off isn't around. Thanks again for the feedback Rick in Royston

Victour78
Motorcycle: 1978 1000 GoldWing Naked

Postby Victour78 » Wed May 05, 2010 11:56 pm

We don't know how long it sit and if there is some rust... but I would pull the carbs and clean the Jet holes and tube Holes.. there are small fine screens behind the Float needles.. they need to be pulled and cleaned also.. Read a posted article on how to set the floats.. they are very critical. You may smell gas if the float is too High.. allowing the carb to flood. at times... I took my carbs off cleaned no help put new kits the next time no help.. Runs good on 2 cyclinders... the other 2 pop and crack but that about all.. wondered if the cam timing was right.. well the #3 and #4 cylinders run great...Good Luck

halibut

Postby halibut » Thu May 06, 2010 9:07 am

I replaced the 2 filters and lines and put clamps on all connections.This idea of float levels could be my proplem or part of it. The carbs have been pulled twice and cleaned but I didn't think he played with the floats. The smell of raw gas is around most of the time when running on the road. Hard to warm up missing and hard to keep going at first start up. Also can't apply choke on startup . If you do it won't start. To get it warmed up you have to keep cranking the throttle to keep it going for about a minute Once warm still coughs and hitches and glitches on idle but will eventually keep running without touching the throttle. Seems to go ok when you accelerate past 3000rpm.. labours till that RPM is reached. I could follow your lead and pull the carbs again but He spent much time synching them and I don't have the equipment and expertise for that. Honda shops are out of my budget at this point.Besides most of them are not interested. Too bad '.... it's frustrating to have this so close to running good.

gnarlyroad

Postby gnarlyroad » Thu May 06, 2010 9:32 am

Sorry to hear you're still having problems. If you need someone to service the carbs I can recommend my mechanic at Annex motorcycle parts in Nanaimo, or Classic motorcycles in Errington(just outside Parksville in Coombs). Annex definetely charges less and rides a GW himself. He's doing my water pump as we speak( hopefully). :)

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”