Zinnnnggg instead of start...

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Nickel1
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000

Zinnnnggg instead of start...

Postby Nickel1 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:23 pm

Ok, so I am new on the forum so I apologize for the dumb question, but when I hit the starter button the starter doesn't engage. It goes "Ziinnnggg"
Now I know that I need to remove the motor to get to fix the issue, can someone tell me what all I need to order, and if there is a fairly simple way of doing this myself?
THANK YOU GUYS!

Bulldog Café

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Zinnnnggg instead of start...

Postby virgilmobile » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:34 pm

Get a can of Sea Foam....Add the appropriate amount to the crankcase....Push start the bike if necessary....Try to put on a hundred EASY miles.....Drain the oil (and gunk)..put on a new filter and a oil change....The problem should all but disappear....Should it happen again...Dose it up and repeat the process.....

Read more here too...viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1335&start=0

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Postby Placerville » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:40 pm

Agree with Virgil. Also, draining a qt. of oil and replacing it with MMO is another popular method.

The purpose of this 'engine rinse' (with either SeaFoam or MMO) is to introduce some 'cleansing material' into the sprague clutch. Over time, its springs and rollers get a little gummed up with old oil and they won't slide out and engage properly. This results in the starter just spinning and not engaging the engine.

I do an 'MMO rinse' at the end of every riding season as preventative maintenance. I also do this: After returning from my 'easy ride' as Virgil states, I shut off the bike and then start it again. I do this several times. Because, as much as it makes sense to do the 'cleaning ride', it also makes sense to exercise the sprague clutch by causing it to do it's thing while it contains the cleaning solution.

Even though this method will help to loosen goo in your sprague clutch, it doesn't mean that it won't happen again. Cold weather (and cold oil) is one of the reasons that the sprague clutch can hang up. One of the ways to address this when it happens is to tap the starter button repeatedly (not holding it in) until the sprague clutch finally catches and the starter will then take hold. It still happens to my '76 every now and then even though I do a yearly cleaning.

Here's an interesting note: In 1976, I bought a brand new 1977 GL. I rode it to work every day and, at the time, I was working a graveyard shift. So, when I started it in the morning, it was often very cold. Every now and then the sprague clutch would stick and my starter would just spin (and the bike wasn't even a year old). This should tell you that the 'spin' is as much a product of cold oil as it is goo in the sprague clutch.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

Nickel1
Motorcycle: 1978 GL1000

Postby Nickel1 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:32 am

Sounds great guys, I will try it this weekend and update you all. I am keeping my fingers crossed!
Bulldog Café

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:33 pm

A more aggressive fix...drill a hole at the point needed to insert a straw into the starter clutch cleaning ports and spray in solvent.. here's a pic of the point to drill, the ports on the clutch wheel that you squirt into once you have access and a cap for the hole.

Kind of like adding the zerk fitting to the drive shaft.
Attachments

HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”