clutch handle loose wires

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
gosinga
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

clutch handle loose wires

Postby gosinga » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:15 pm

Hi there I just bought a 77 GL1000 and it got some problems there is a wire not connected to my clutch handle (brown and green) and iwas wondering what it was for and how to reconnect it I took the lever apart but didnt see any ovious connecting points
any help would be appreciated.

chazglenn3
Motorcycle: 1983 V65 Magna
1985 GL1200 Limited

Re: clutch handle loose wires

Postby chazglenn3 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:07 pm

If it is anything like my Magna, there should be a clutch switch mounted to the clutch master cylinder with two terminals on it. The wires connect there. The switch is to allow the bike to start in gear as long as the clutch lever is pulled in.
Charles
1983 V65 Magna
1985 GL1200 LTD

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Postby Placerville » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:38 pm

In the absence of any photos, I agree with chazglenn3 that it's probably the neutral switch wire that you're referencing. The first Honda fiche below shows that wire. Lucky you, it's still available from Honda. The photo is the left-hand assembly of my '76 showing the wires entry point for your reference. (I believe it's identical to your '77.)

It's possible that the PO noticed that there was some sort of issue with the dash neutral light coming on at the wrong time, staying on when it shouldn't or some other problem, so he disconnected the wire from the assembly. After you get the wire reconnected inside the assembly, it's likely that you'll discover the real reason the wire was disconnected was that the engines neutral switch (#33 in the last fiche photo) is defective and needs to be removed and rebuilt or replaced. Fortunately, they are still available from Honda but, for a hefty price. Changing them is a PITA (and that's probably why the PO didn't do it). It's located on the lower right side of the engine, just behind the frame, to the right of the oil screen cover.

If you need to replace the neutral switch, there's a tutorial here at the NGW. There's also a couple of other threads regarding how to repair/rebuild them if that's what you want to do. There may be some excellent tutorials on the GWD as well. If, for some reason, you find you need to replace the entire left-hand assembly, they are no longer available from Honda, however, NOS units do appear from time to time on eBay. You can also find used one's there as well.
Attachments
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

gosinga

Postby gosinga » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:28 pm

Thank you for your replies im glad to hear it is not that big of a deal wire and will look in to reconnecting it and hopefully figure out what the reason for disconnecting was to begin with also i have a problem with the battery draining it seems it is not holding a charge. the fuel gauge is also not working and after some searching around i figured it could be my 7 volt regulator for fuel and temp gauge that is bad. so i looked behind the left side cover and found there was no 7 volt regulator and instead they plugged the female wire clip with silicone caulking now does anybody know why someone would do that and could that be my battery draining problem? the battery is brand new

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Postby Placerville » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:33 pm

Regarding the absence of your 7 Volt Regulator, the PO probably removed it because it was no longer working and they never got around to replacing it. Why they would plug the wire end with caulking is anyone's guess. (Don't you just love PO's?) New OEM 7 Volt Regulators are no longer available from Honda. There are some NOS one's to be found but, they are very expensive. If you're concerned about 'factory correct' parts, you can buy a used one on eBay (risky) or, the owner of this site offers an excellent aftermarket regulator that works great. This is something that you'll want to fix now in order to get your gauges working properly and proceed with your battery issue.

Regarding your battery drain problem, it's unknown at this time if the 'work-around' the PO did with the regulator wiring is the cause (I don't think it is) but, you must get the regulator issue fixed before you tackle any electrical issues. Once completed, consider the first source of any battery drain to be an aftermarket item on the bike that uses 12V e.g., a stereo, an alarm or any other voltage driven add-on. Once you've assured yourself that none of these items are the cause, you'll then need to have your battery checked. BTW, just because you think something is draining your battery doesn't mean it is. You could actually have a bad battery. To test this, remove your battery from your bike, make sure it's fully charged (and topped off if it's water/acid) and then take it to an auto parts store that will do a 'surge' test on it. If it passes this test, you'll need to start looking at other electrical issues. Re-post and you'll get more help.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

gosinga

Postby gosinga » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:26 pm

Placerville thank you
I will look in to the info you gave me and keep it posted
just ordered a new voltage regulator and will disconnect the battery and charge it again and have it checked
thank you.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”