GL1000 new grab rails!!

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
johnakay
Motorcycle: honda nc700dct

GL1000 new grab rails!!

Postby johnakay » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:55 pm

Hi every one.
please see for sale etc for info.
I have been making grab rails on and off for the past 10 years.
it all started off when I restored an old Suzuki T500 and could get hold of a grab rail so I borrowed one and copied it.
other forum members ask if I'll make them one and that is how I started.
as years and months passed I acquired various grab rails and racks..
I decided to take semi retirement after working for over 40 years and to work for myself turning my hobby into a small business from home.
started this last year and it hasn't worked out to bad ,it keep's my head above water till I collect my pension in 3 years time!
one customer ask me if I'll make a backrest for his GL1000 ,so I did but never kept the drawings.
he told me that these GL grab rails are hard to find etc.,I did a little research and bought a damage grab rail from USA.
see the results in for sale. well that a little bit about me.rgds john
this is the one I made him ....

Old Fogey
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000

Re: GL1000 new grab rails!!

Postby Old Fogey » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:15 am

I've sent you a PM today.
Image Image

'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

johnakay

Postby johnakay » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:10 pm

I'm sure I put pictures up of my grab rails.
here they are.
one with and one with out indicator mount.

70 uk pounds plus shipping

80 uk pounds plus shipping

as fitted to a customers bike...

johnakay

Postby johnakay » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:16 pm

don't take any notice of the price above it has now gone up.
due to lack of response I will no longer be on this forum sorry but that the way it goes.

DickC
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda GL1000

Postby DickC » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:28 pm

I saw your post here but it was from 2013.
Are you still making grab rails?
I am looking for a grab rail that will fit a 1976 Honda GL1000 with winker hole mounts.
Your pic shows a price of 80 uk # + shipping. Still good?
Can you give me a total $ amount to have one made & shipped to Surprise, AZ 85379
Thanks

aussiegold
Motorcycle: 1975 Goldwing (No 8 to come to Oz )
1976 LTD cleverly diguised as an 81 interstate
1976 LTD.. a feller with 2 LTD's can't be all bad.....

Postby aussiegold » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:42 pm

dont know if this fellow has supplied DSS but these look ok. i plan to get one myself. better than paying stupid amounts on ebay. :D
http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/GL10 ... rt_226815/

Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Postby Fred Camper » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:53 pm

Nice link for David Silvers. Price looks good.

Old Fogey
1979 GL1000

Postby Old Fogey » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:31 pm

Well, you can see from the way he expected everyone to rip them out of his hands, after his pictures had only been up for three days he took offence and said he wouldn't be back.
I actually purchased a 75 one from him with a view to selling these on WinGovations. But they were a 'nearly but not quite' item and I felt that unless he did some slight modifications I would not be comfortable selling them.
Difficult man and needless to say he didn't like that, so I returned the rail and we parted.
A pity, because all that was needed was some better welding (brazing would have been better and cleaner) and a jig to hold the indicator mounts in the right position while getting welded.
Image Image

'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

johnakay

Postby johnakay » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:34 am

how wrong you are foggy.
I never took offence at all,why on earth should I feel offended? because you said it could do with better welds.
if folks don't tell me what isn't right how am I to fix things.
you weren't happy with the weld that I can clearly remember.
difficult man,ya lying jock..you wanted it much cheaper than I could sell them for as well as getting them tig welded and if I was a difficult man you wouldn't be able to return that rail back despite paying by p/pal .I could've disputed that but I didn't.
also I even refunded the postage what shop would do that?
in fact I located the inner part for the indicator for you because you couldn't find any so if I was offended would I be bother to do that for you.
as for welds with it being a small area to weld a round its difficult to do with a mig welder and I explain that to you.
and the indicator mount you said that the tab on the end wasn't wasn't quite right.
I told you these were handmade and not done by machine.
if they were that bad as you say they were I wouldn't be able to sell over 60 of them would I now.
swelds? I got someone else to tig weld them and I had 20 done and all sold.
never had any complaint on any that I've sold apart from a grumpy jock.
the majority were sold to the USA.
as for the price I tried to alter it to lower it a bit but could not see any editing.
as for me leaving the forum...
it was pointless me staying on all the time due to me not having a goldwing.
and little interest was shown in what I had to offer that is why I said I'm off,perhaps I should have worded it a bit better.
how ever I left the notification on incase any one need anything making.
so why you feel the need to slag me off on this forum is beyond me.
it appears that YOU were offended not me.
grab rails I no longer make and sell them now due to DSS selling them but I do have one hung up but with no indicator mounts.
also if ask I will make them but that's it.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

getting to that backrest postage I quoted £ 60 but I wasn't sure of the cost to Israel.
I checked by records ,and last year I posted a backrest(not a GL) to New Zealand and that cost £32.00.
so it'll be some where around that price.
I've just made one for a guy in the USA. once he gets it and mounted hopefully he'll send some pictures .
will post them up on here.

aussiegold
Motorcycle: 1975 Goldwing (No 8 to come to Oz )
1976 LTD cleverly diguised as an 81 interstate
1976 LTD.. a feller with 2 LTD's can't be all bad.....

Postby aussiegold » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:35 am

well, that there is one detailed answer. :D i liked the look of your product. didnt see it when you originally posted. the DSS ones look ok as well, but i havent seen them up close.
so, ..... i take it there's no chance of a discount ? .... :roll: just kiddin. my email is pulsar39@hotmail.com
if you can make one, and shipping is reasonable , i am in. i am in AUSTRALIA.

Old Fogey
1979 GL1000

Postby Old Fogey » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:13 am

I was just going to let this go, but obviously I really can't since you accuse me of lying.

johnakay wrote:how wrong you are foggy.
I never took offence at all,why on earth should I feel offended? because you said it could do with better welds.
if folks don't tell me what isn't right how am I to fix things.
Nowhere did I say you took offence at what I said to you. I said you didn't like that I didn't like the welds. For your reasons of cost and difficulty you didn't want to fix them, at that time.
difficult man,ya lying jock..you wanted it much cheaper than I could sell them for as well as getting them tig welded
I don't tell lies. Period. Full stop.
I'm a businessman. I needed to buy them at a cost that we could both make money on. If you remember, I suggested you put your price up, since I felt the market could bear it.

and if I was a difficult man you wouldn't be able to return that rail back despite paying by p/pal .I could've disputed that but I didn't.
My wording was wrong too. I found communications difficult, that was all. Not sure what my method of payment has to do with it.
also I even refunded the postage what shop would do that?
Every shop (but not individuals), due to the Distance Selling Regulations. I would, and do, refund postage too. Your refund was appreciated.
in fact I located the inner part for the indicator for you because you couldn't find any so if I was offended would I be bother to do that for you.
?? I have no recollection of this at all.
as for welds with it being a small area to weld a round its difficult to do with a mig welder and I explain that to you.
Yes, you did but you didn't indicate that you were willing to look at another method at that time.
and the indicator mount you said that the tab on the end wasn't wasn't quite right.
As I remember, there was a problem with the tabs, but it's a while ago and I can't think what it was.
I told you these were handmade and not done by machine.
And all I suggested was that a jig to hold the indicator mounts would be a good idea, as on the one I received they were not lined up correctly.
if they were that bad as you say they were I wouldn't be able to sell over 60 of them would I now.
Well, of course you could, since good used OEM ones are in very short supply and astronomic in price! And I didn't say they were THAT bad. In fact I said that they were almost right, but said that with the problems I saw, I would not have been happy with retailing them. Yes, I'm very pernickity when it come to the products I put my name to.
swelds? I got someone else to tig weld them and I had 20 done and all sold.
Well there you go!
never had any complaint on any that I've sold apart from a grumpy jock.
I don't think I'm grumpy and I'm as English as you are, coming from the Midlands!
the majority were sold to the USA.
as for the price I tried to alter it to lower it a bit but could not see any editing.
You could have simply done another post with the changes. But since you were now farming out the welding I would have thought that the price should have gone up, not down?
as for me leaving the forum...
it was pointless me staying on all the time due to me not having a goldwing.
and little interest was shown in what I had to offer that is why I said I'm off,perhaps I should have worded it a bit better.
how ever I left the notification on incase any one need anything making.
You could have worded it better, as it sounded as though YOU took offence with your perceived lack of interest in them. Not sure what you expected; few forum members are constantly on here and of those even fewer would have been in the market for a grabrail. It takes time for stuff to get noticed and commented on, sometimes a LONG time, as I know only too well with my own parts.
so why you feel the need to slag me off on this forum is beyond me.
John, you're right. It does come over as slagging you. My apologies; the comments were genuine but definitely could have been put in better terms. Or better still, not made at all.
it appears that YOU were offended not me.
Offended at being called a liar; other than, not in any way whatsoever.
grab rails I no longer make and sell them now due to DSS selling them but I do have one hung up but with no indicator mounts.
I actually thought it might be you that was supplying Silver with them.

OK, I'm out of here!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

getting to that backrest postage I quoted £ 60 but I wasn't sure of the cost to Israel.
I checked by records ,and last year I posted a backrest(not a GL) to New Zealand and that cost £32.00.
so it'll be some where around that price.
I've just made one for a guy in the USA. once he gets it and mounted hopefully he'll send some pictures .
will post them up on here.

Image Image

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”