What I did to solve the bad neutral switch common problem.

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
pshaginaw
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda GL1000
1987 Yamaha Virago XV535T
1975 Honda CB360T
1999 Honda Valkryrie
2005 Suzuki Boulevard S40

What I did to solve the bad neutral switch common problem.

Postby pshaginaw » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:29 pm

Many have addressed the bad neutral switch problem on this forum and here is what I did so I don't have to stare at a constantly on neutral light. I bought a reconditioned switch when my stock switch went bad, and couldn't flex the frame enough, as suggested, to replace the original. So I used some 16 ga wire threaded through some black fuel line, neatly routed along the frame and up to a rocker switch near the ignition key. I zip-tied the assembly nice and neat so its not noticeable except on close inspection, and hooked up this switch in series with the original wiring. Now, with the switch on, and the bike in neutral, the indicator light glows as I start the bike. As I row through the gears, and the light still glows, I just lightly tap the switch off, and the light goes off. At the end of my ride, when I put the bike in neutral to park it, I flick the switch back on to remind me the bike is in neutral as the light glows once more before I turn off the key. I know this is only a temporary solution, and I will replace the faulty neutral switch the next time I have the engine off the frame, but in the mean time, this arrangement keeps me from being distracted by a constantly glowing light, and things can be put back to stock by just snipping a few zip ties.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: What I did to solve the bad neutral switch common proble

Postby RBGERSON » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:01 pm

Black electrical tape works too! :)
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

moffat
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100
Interstate

Postby moffat » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:35 am

Come on do it properly! This is a very common problem with these engines and is generally caused by carbon build up from contaminated oil in the sump causing it to malfunction. Replace the switch and at the same time check to oil pump gauze filter which is in the same area. The frame is easy to spring away from the engine but you must loosen the bottom across the frame bolt and remove the top rear front to rear smaller bolt as this will prevent the frame from springing. I made a wooden wedge and used that to spring the frame.

Old Fogey
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1979 GL1000

Postby Old Fogey » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:37 pm

Image Image

'Impossible' is just a level of difficulty! The only stupid question is the one you didn't ask first!

pshaginaw
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda GL1000
1987 Yamaha Virago XV535T
1975 Honda CB360T
1999 Honda Valkryrie
2005 Suzuki Boulevard S40

Postby pshaginaw » Thu May 29, 2014 12:52 pm

OK, OK, I did it! The last oil change gave me the opportunity to repair the neutral switch correctly. I unbolted both the back and front right motor mounts, removed the right exhausts,and that gave me enough clearance to flex the frame and remove the oil screen and the neutral switch. The replacement I had purchased last year now has the neutral light working properly, and I have removed all the kludgy wires of my temporary solution to get the bike back to stock. Thanks for the encouragement. Its always best to do things right.

moffat
Motorcycle: 1982 GL1100
Interstate

Postby moffat » Thu May 29, 2014 3:26 pm

Well done!!!! Its always better to do the job properly and keep our machines on the road in good nick. Old Fogey is an expert on these machines and his advice is always excellent-

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”