Starter Button Replacement?


Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
2speed
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:38 am
Location: Gaylord,mich.49735
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000
Contact:

Starter Button Replacement?

Postby 2speed » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:06 am



Any one have any idea what would be a Good Replacement for a Starter Button on a 75 Wing?
I searched the Web, it is No Longer Available...But, you can get the complete switch and Harness for $155.00...YIKES!!!
Maybe Radio Shack has something?

I guess i could Duck-Tape a Huge Button to the Handle Bar? Lol



User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17046
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Starter Button Replacement?

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:23 am

You want a SPDT momentary switch. I'm not sure what the rating needs to be, but the fuse on the solenoid circuit is 30 amps, so I would think a safe rating would be 30 amps (DC).

User avatar
RBGERSON
Posts: 2612
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:57 am
Location: SCOTTSDALE, AZ
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Re: Starter Button Replacement?

Postby RBGERSON » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:57 pm

Starter switch replacement radio shack 275-1549

and link with pics
NGW thread http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=31908
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

2speed
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:38 am
Location: Gaylord,mich.49735
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000
Contact:

Re: Starter Button Replacement?

Postby 2speed » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:32 am

Thanks..RBGERSON, Awesome Tip! Headed Out To Buy One!!

User avatar
virgilmobile
Posts: 7646
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:39 pm
Location: Denham Springs,La.
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Starter Button Replacement?

Postby virgilmobile » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:40 am

Just a point of interest...This Momentary contact pushbutton will indeed be able to make the start solenoid work...but it will not cut off the headlight while cranking.
This could be a problem starting the bike....The original switch has both a MC normally open and a normally closed set of contacts...
The normally open goes to the solenoid and the normally closed feeds the headlights...

There is a way around this by adding a relay to the circuit to turn off the headlight while cranking..

Simply replace the switch with a 12 relay..the 5 contact one..same wiring method....use the new pushbutton switch to click the relay....

User avatar
virgilmobile
Posts: 7646
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:39 pm
Location: Denham Springs,La.
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Starter Button Replacement?

Postby virgilmobile » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:57 am

your circuit is this...the relay takes the current for the headlights much better than the mini mc spdt radio shack switch can....
Attachments

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17046
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Starter Button Replacement?

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:44 pm

virgilmobile wrote:Just a point of interest...This Momentary contact pushbutton will indeed be able to make the start solenoid work...but it will not cut off the headlight while cranking.
This could be a problem starting the bike....The original switch has both a MC normally open and a normally closed set of contacts...
The normally open goes to the solenoid and the normally closed feeds the headlights...


That's the reason I said it should be replaced with an SPDT switch, which is what the original OEM switch is. That will perform the start function as well as the headlight-killing function during start.

User avatar
virgilmobile
Posts: 7646
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:39 pm
Location: Denham Springs,La.
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Starter Button Replacement?

Postby virgilmobile » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:59 pm

Yup...the type of switch you mention would be correct....
looking at the reference number in a earlier post..
275-1549: Mini SPDT 3-Amp Momentary Pushbutton Switch.

Even tho it fits physically...this switch would not handle the current needed by the headlight circuit.

I do not know of a 30 amp contact mc spdt switch that would fit in the same place as the original..
Radio shack certainly does not have them.

2speed
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:38 am
Location: Gaylord,mich.49735
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000
Contact:

Re: Starter Button Replacement?

Postby 2speed » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:41 am

Thanks..." virgilmobile "
Just need to close this Subject!
I installed a 275-1549 switch...Works-Perfect!!....Switch Cost's...$3.40!! WOW!!! what a saveing!!
I removed the stock Ign. switch, installed a Custom On-Off switch. and a switch just for Lights.
Easy-Fix!!

virgilmobile wrote:Yup...the type of switch you mention would be correct....
looking at the reference number in a earlier post..
275-1549: Mini SPDT 3-Amp Momentary Pushbutton Switch.

Even tho it fits physically...this switch would not handle the current needed by the headlight circuit.

I do not know of a 30 amp contact mc spdt switch that would fit in the same place as the original..
Radio shack certainly does not have them.
sw.JPG

User avatar
virgilmobile
Posts: 7646
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:39 pm
Location: Denham Springs,La.
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Starter Button Replacement?

Postby virgilmobile » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:57 am

Great to hear.glad it worked.
There are always possibilities...(Spock)

User avatar
roadwanderer2
Posts: 4105
Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:03 am
Location: sweetwater, Tennessee
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100A aspencade, previously owned, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. and a new to me 1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi
Contact:

Re: Starter Button Replacement?

Postby roadwanderer2 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:27 am

2speed wrote:Any one have any idea what would be a Good Replacement for a Starter Button on a 75 Wing?
I searched the Web, it is No Longer Available...But, you can get the complete switch and Harness for $155.00...YIKES!!!
Maybe Radio Shack has something?

I guess i could Duck-Tape a Huge Button to the Handle Bar? Lol


if you go onto eBay, type into the search box "1975 Honda Goldwing start stop switch" it will bring up a whole page full of switches. scroll down the page and you can find some used ones for good prices :D. 99% of the parts I get are from eBay.

hope this helps ya,

stuart, a.k.a. roadwanderer2.




Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest