Tachometer Stopped Working

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
1grouch2u
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda Goldwing GL1000

Tachometer Stopped Working

Postby 1grouch2u » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:19 pm

Dang it! -Now I think I may have had this happen before (but I can't remember...) The other day, out of the blue, my tach when I started the engine would go to about 2k and no higher (and pretty much stay there a while when I turned it off...) I guess the cable is fine or it wouldn't move at all- what I can't remember is whether or not I had sprayed something up in there before to get it freed up- or if that was the speedometer I did that to... :roll:

Anybody have had this problem before (no doubt!) and if so how did you get it taken care of? -My temp gauge doesn't work either and I'm pretty sure I've tracked it down as far as either having burned up the gauge itself, or the wires right there at/around the cluster itself (some of the wires were unplugged when I went to fix my dash lights years ago...)

Either way I'm in the market for another tach/temp gauge for a '76 if somebodies got a spare for sale. It's abysmal weather (for Texas) here lately, so I can't seem to get in any big hurry, but shoot me some ideas guys,
Thanks,
1Grouch2u ("Grouchy")

Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Re: Tachometer Stopped Working

Postby Fred Camper » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:50 pm

I take that your fuel gauge is fine. Else it could be the 7 volt regulator. Have not had that issue with my tach, but it did unscrew at the gauge once and that made it irregular and easy to resolve.

1grouch2u
Motorcycle: 1976 Honda Goldwing GL1000

Re: Tachometer Stopped Working

Postby 1grouch2u » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:38 pm

My fuel float/sending unit has been corroded away since I got the bike (I wouldn't know how to act with a gas gauge on a bike anyway... that's what 'reserve' is for, isn't it?) -The temp gauge worked briefly when I got it, but at some point maybe when I tried hooking up the wires to the gauge (gas) itself I might have zapped the temp gauge (the wires were just cut at the fuel gauge and I tried to hook them up before pulling the fuel sender out and saw what a mess it was.) -But then I saw some of the wires disconnected at the gauge itself (temp) but I don't guess I ever got that straightened out, as it never started working again- for all I know it's still not back wired right. I might have pulled a wire loose while working on something else in the bars, fairing wiring, turn signals (the list goes on, and on, and on...) -I've got a tiny Radio Shack toggle switch in the right place for a high beam switch, and a big push button switch zip tied under the throttle housing for a start switch- it's not real great, but it all works (and is in the right place- kinda)

No, I had either my speedometer or my tach stop reading right before, and I think I sprayed something up in there to get it freed back up, but I really don't remember if it was electronics/contact cleaner- carb cleaner, WD-40, Brakkleen... heck, I don't even remember which side it was! I was (am) just curious if anybody had any success with something like that (?) -or maybe had a spare tach head they'd be willing to part with (?) Bike's all covered up right now anyway, and I'll have to pull the fairing, but when the weather permits I'll check it out and probably head on over to Ebay and see what they've got (that is if I can't straighten things out myself!)

For now I've got a hole in my head where a filling came out so I think I'm gonna mix me a drink and hit the sack~ thanks!

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”