Alternatives for Neutral Light

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
RonHolly
Motorcycle: 1977 Gold Wing
1980 GW Interstate
1998 Valkyrie Tourer

Alternatives for Neutral Light

Postby RonHolly » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:34 pm

I've read the various alternatives of repairing the Neutral Light malfunction and would like to know if this would be a easy alternative. Right now my clutch lever switch is broken, and disconnected, and the only way to start is using the neutral switch on the shifting lever. If that switch fails I'm "SOL" for starting useless I can find a long lost kick starter. LoL

My idea is buying new clutch lever switch, which I've already ordered, and adding an LED light inline with the switch wiring. The LED could be glued next the existing light or next to the clutch lever assembly. The LED would just indicate that the lever is engaged and could start the motor. This would not indicate that the tranny is in neutral though and additional care would need be exercised.

Would like to here some constructive feedback for my folly. Thanks
Attachments

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Alternatives for Neutral Light

Postby virgilmobile » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:41 am

It would be annoying to me....Adding a LED to the clutch lever switch to indicate when it's safe to crank would light up every time you pulled in the lever....
If this is OK with you,simply attach the LED with a dropping resistor(this is 12 volts) to the horn button yellow wire(its 12 volts) and the other end to the neutral switch wire(red/green or green red).
Every time,with the key on,when you pull in the clutch the switch grounds and lights the LED AND provides the ground path for the start solenoid.

I think I show the diode in backwards...yup,reverse the direction,,,12 volts is on the yellow wire...

RonHolly
Motorcycle: 1977 Gold Wing
1980 GW Interstate
1998 Valkyrie Tourer

Re: Alternatives for Neutral Light

Postby RonHolly » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:10 pm

Think it might be better just to forget about the LED and make sure I have a good switch on the clutch lever. To much of a pain! Just found and troubleshot the 7volt regulator and found it bad. Ordered another and also ordered new switches for the clutch lever and front brake switch as well.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”