Can't figure out wiring on my first rebuild.

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Spidermonkey
Motorcycle: 1976 Goldwing GL1000

Can't figure out wiring on my first rebuild.

Postby Spidermonkey » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:13 am

I just started my first motorcycle rebuild and i'm pretty much just googling my way through it. I've never done anything like this before so go easy on me.

I picked up a "junked" 1976 gl1000 came with fairing, trunk, saddle bags, etc I'm currently trying to wire the thing but everything was taken apart and a lot of the wires aren't the original color I picked up the wiring schematic but it's pretty much an alien language to me. can anyone help me figure this out?

P.s. I don't think it would be so difficult if everything hadn't been totally separated.
Attachments

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Can't figure out wiring on my first rebuild.

Postby virgilmobile » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:06 am

It does look like there's a few extra wires...
Personally I'd be removing anything that's not original wiring then determine what doesn't work and fix it...
Many times,someone may just add a hunk of wire to bypass a failed switch or circuit that quit.It's always best to keep it original..or as close as possible...
There are variables..like the reserve lighting magic box...hate that thing...there is a bypass for that.
Are you having a particular problem with a circuit???
Does the engine run?
Have you replaced the timing belts.?

Dogsled
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

Postby Dogsled » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:37 am

First go to the top of the page here and see if you can load as many manuals for your bike as possible.

Since you don't know if all the parts are even there you may want to go to http://ngwclub.com/forum/ and think about that.
I thought your year is a good candidate But if you aren't investing money in doing the wiring, get that as straight as you can and be careful firing it up.

Before you wire change the fluids and check the condition. If you go to drain the rear end oil and nothing comes out.......that's not good. Spend evenings finding re-cycling parts sources on-line, e-mail them, tell them what you're doing and see if they will work well with you.

Like Virgil said, things like the timing belt will snap fast and you have real problems.

It would be tough to do all the wiring and find out the engine is bad. Good luck.
"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:09 am

Yup.See if you can get a heartbeat out of it.

aegeanrider
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Postby aegeanrider » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:36 pm

before you start up see if the engine is full of oil and water,see the condition of belts and one basic for me open the water pump cover and check the if moves freely because if not and try to start the engine its sure that you will break the axle of water pump(cost about 120$)

Spidermonkey
Motorcycle: 1976 Goldwing GL1000

Postby Spidermonkey » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:04 pm

I've tested most of the mechanical parts separately the engine is good the starter is good and i got hold of the previous owner he says that the bike was running before he tried to put the fairing on it and he messed up the wiring and didn't have time, knowledge, or motivation to fix it (so i've done a lot of stuff i didn't even need to, oh well). so it's down to just getting the sucker wired up and it should be good to go. basically i just need to figure out how to wire the sucker, but i'm no electrician and can't figure out what wires go where.

What i really need is a "plan of attack" what should i hook up first and how do i find what wire goes to what other wire?

Dogsled
Motorcycle: 1997 Goldwing

Postby Dogsled » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:27 pm

First thing is don't ever believe what any previous owner says........it's nice to find ot he was honest....BADDDDDDD, to find out he wasn't.

First off, HOW LONG HAS THIS BIKE SAT SINCE IT LAST RAN?

NEXT, WHY WAS THE FAIRING OFF?

"Fight until hell freezes over, then fight on the ice"

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”