Center stand woes!

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
RonHolly
Motorcycle: 1977 Gold Wing
1980 GW Interstate
1998 Valkyrie Tourer

Center stand woes!

Postby RonHolly » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:08 am

Does anyone, besides myself, have one "h*ll" of a time getting their beast up on the center stand? I'm not particularly small, 230 lbs, and just can't do it. I don't have any problems with my Valkyrie, which has 6 cylinders. Was the GL designed with a bad center of gravity. My stand has a sharp end on it that wants to try and stab me right thru my boot! LoL

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Center stand woes!

Postby dingdong » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:38 am

I can't get my 76 on the stand without backing it up on a piece of wood first but I don't have a grab rail to "grab" onto. The 1500 goes up easily with just my weight. Very little lifting.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:40 am

RonHolly wrote:Does anyone, besides myself, have one "h*ll" of a time getting their beast up on the center stand? I'm not particularly small, 230 lbs, and just can't do it. I don't have any problems with my Valkyrie, which has 6 cylinders. Was the GL designed with a bad center of gravity. My stand has a sharp end on it that wants to try and stab me right thru my boot! LoL

It shouldn't be that hard. Have you seen this article/video? How to get a Goldwing on and off the center stand

terryt
Motorcycle: 1979 gl1000 trike

Postby terryt » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:15 pm

If the fork springs and rear shocks are weak, the bike will be lower
check the ride height. there must be some info on here some where

pricey1123
Motorcycle: 1979 Honda GL1000KZ

Postby pricey1123 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:11 pm

Watch this:

I'm thin, under weight for my height and after watching that it works brilliant!

portugeezer
1982 Gl500
1984 Honda Magna V30

Postby portugeezer » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:22 pm

My GL1000 won't go up either. The 1100 I had would go up like in the video. It takes three strong people to get a 1000 on the center stand! Very very poor design IMO!

RonHolly
1980 GW Interstate
1998 Valkyrie Tourer

Postby RonHolly » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:16 pm

portugeezer wrote:My GL1000 won't go up either. The 1100 I had would go up like in the video. It takes three strong people to get a 1000 on the center stand! Very very poor design IMO!

val
I agree with you. I think the center of gravity is different on the GL1000's. My 98 Valkyrie goes right up. On my '77 Standard it has no side rail to grab. Even when it's on the center stand the weight is on the front wheel. Maybe a mod is needed. Maybe make something like a saddle horn that's similar to Western horse saddles but folds forward somehow.

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Postby Placerville » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:47 pm

RonHolly wrote:Does anyone, besides myself, have one "h*ll" of a time getting their beast up on the center stand? I'm not particularly small, 230 lbs, and just can't do it. I don't have any problems with my Valkyrie, which has 6 cylinders. Was the GL designed with a bad center of gravity. My stand has a sharp end on it that wants to try and stab me right thru my boot! LoL

Guy's, don't be so quick to say that the design is poor. It's not. A bone-stock GL1000 will go up on its center stand with no trouble at all. My bike is 100% factory correct, with factory sized tires and it goes up easily by placing all of my weight on the stand and lifting a bit with my 'grab bar' hand. RonHolly, I see in the photo of your bike that you have after market shocks. You didn't say that when your were describing your problem. You also noted that the center stand, "has a sharp end on it." So, here's what I think is the problem:

Your aftermarket shocks are allowing your GL to ride lower than a factory shock. Because your bike is now lower, your center stand can't rotate down as much as it needs to. That causes its foot pad to present itself at a more vertical angle, resulting in it pointing up into your foot. Also, it causes your center stand to be at an angle that makes you to have to lift far more weight than would be necessary if the bike was sitting at the correct height. If you'd like, I can post a photo of my center stand as it comes in contact with the ground. You can compare it to yours and see if this is your issue.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

RonHolly
1980 GW Interstate
1998 Valkyrie Tourer

Postby RonHolly » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:23 pm

Placerville wrote:

Guy's, don't be so quick to say that the design is poor. It's not. A bone-stock GL1000 will go up on its center stand with no trouble at all. My bike is 100% factory correct, with factory sized tires and it goes up easily by placing all of my weight on the stand and lifting a bit with my 'grab bar' hand. RonHolly, I see in the photo of your bike that you have after market shocks. You didn't say that when your were describing your problem. You also noted that the center stand, "has a sharp end on it." So, here's what I think is the problem:

Your aftermarket shocks are allowing your GL to ride lower than a factory shock. Because your bike is now lower, your center stand can't rotate down as much as it needs to. That causes its foot pad to present itself at a more vertical angle, resulting in it pointing up into your foot. Also, it causes your center stand to be at an angle that makes you to have to lift far more weight than would be necessary if the bike was sitting at the correct height. If you'd like, I can post a photo of my center stand as it comes in contact with the ground. You can compare it to yours and see if this is your issue.

Yes you may be onto something here! I didn't realize my shocks were aftermarket. (Newbie to my bike.) I would like to see a pic if you wouldn't mind! As far as tires go I'm pretty sure they are the correct size. I put 30 in front and 36 lbs in the rear. Former owner said he put 28/32lbs. Maybe I have too much air in them. Thanks, Ron

Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Postby Fred Camper » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:12 pm

There is a rhythm and once good at it, it goes up easy. I have a 16 inch rear which makes it harder but even with that when using the correct rhythm it goes right up.

Placerville

Postby Placerville » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:48 pm

Fred is correct. There is a little finesse to it but, nothing that's difficult to master.

Here's a photo of my center stand being pushed to the floor. Note that the foot pad is horizontal to the floor. Have someone hold your bike then, push the stand to the floor. Make sure both feet of the stand are touching. Look at your foot pad and compare it to this photo. If your pad is tilted upward (at the rear), you bike is sitting lower than stock and the center stand can't drop down far enough for you to comfortably raise the bike. You have two choices: Keep your shocks and live with the problem or buy some nice, used OEM's or new aftermarket shocks that will place your bike at the correct height. Regarding tire pressure, your tires don't get 'bigger' when you put more air in them, only firmer. Tire pressure has nothing to do with center stand issues.

These bikes work well when they're stock. Start changing things and you can quickly effect other parts of the bike. The phrase, "Everything effects everything" is often used when talking modification.
Attachments
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

spookytooth
Motorcycle: 1979 gl1000

Postby spookytooth » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:35 pm

I'm sure mine sits lower than stock plus I have no grab bar. The center stand was so useless that I removed it. Know anyone that needs one?

RonHolly
1980 GW Interstate
1998 Valkyrie Tourer

Postby RonHolly » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:16 am

Placerville wrote:Fred is correct. There is a little finesse to it but, nothing that's difficult to master.

Here's a photo of my center stand being pushed to the floor. Note that the foot pad is horizontal to the floor. Have someone hold your bike then, push the stand to the floor. Make sure both feet of the stand are touching. Look at your foot pad and compare it to this photo. If your pad is tilted upward (at the rear), you bike is sitting lower than stock and the center stand can't drop down far enough for you to comfortably raise the bike. You have two choices: Keep your shocks and live with the problem or buy some nice, used OEM's or new aftermarket shocks that will place your bike at the correct height. Regarding tire pressure, your tires don't get 'bigger' when you put more air in them, only firmer. Tire pressure has nothing to do with center stand issues.

These bikes work well when they're stock. Start changing things and you can quickly effect other parts of the bike. The phrase, "Everything effects everything" is often used when talking modification.

I can tell you right now that my foot step is pointing almost straight upward. Soooooo I definitely have a problem with this! Thanks so much for your picture and help. I'll post a pic of mine a little later. (It's dark outside) If I remember correctly, my center-stand looks a little different than your picture. I'll give it a good looking over later. May not even be the correct center-stand on her.

RonHolly
1980 GW Interstate
1998 Valkyrie Tourer

Postby RonHolly » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:34 pm

RonHolly wrote:
Placerville wrote:Fred is correct. There is a little finesse to it but, nothing that's difficult to master.

I can tell you right now that my foot step is pointing almost straight upward. Soooooo I definitely have a problem with this! Thanks so much for your picture and help. I'll post a pic of mine a little later. (It's dark outside) If I remember correctly, my center-stand looks a little different than your picture. I'll give it a good looking over later. May not even be the correct center-stand on her.

Took pics today and I "THINK" the tip may be damaged and I'm not getting the full force of my weight distributed on it. Here's a couple pics and check out the very tip. It's going straight upward. May be time to get the torch out and bend it level.
Attachments

RonHolly
1980 GW Interstate
1998 Valkyrie Tourer

Postby RonHolly » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:08 pm

Went out into the rain and torched the bend straight again. Still cannot pull it up onto the center-stand. Just no good hand hold to assist in the rear motion to pull it up. The grab bar in the pic does not allow fingers to wrap around it to give a sturdy pull. Even underhanded grab doesn't help. (See pics)
Attachments

Placerville

Postby Placerville » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:29 pm

Looking at the picture of your center stand, it's clear that it cannot drop as far as it needs to in order for it to be at the correct angle for raising the bike. Clearly, your shocks are the reason for this. If you choose to replace your shocks, and aren't sure if you want to buy a set of used OEM's from eBay (a risk), I suggest that you buy a set of new aftermarket shocks. Here are some recommendations:

http://www.liquidchopperstore.com/kms-6.html - NOS vintage 70's shocks from Japan - Almost identical to OEM.
http://www.saber-cycle.com/store/product110.html - Recommend the shocks, not the dealer.
http://www.bikebandit.com/1975-honda-gold-wing-gl1000-shocks/n1166?m=151851 - FYI, springs must be ordered separately.

From your picture, I don't see anything wrong with the stand other than the tip being bent out of position. Very odd how that could have happened. Yes, I'd suggest torching it until you can bend it back into place. But, be careful, as you may break it. If you do, don't be concerned as there are always several used center stands on eBay.

If you have to replace it, it would not be a bad thing. In doing so, you have the opportunity to remove your exhausts and headers for repainting if they need it. (If you wish to do this, PM me or post here, and I'll give you my opinion on the best process for restoring headers and exhausts.) Also, with the exhausts off, the center stand removes easily by pulling the tube that holds it in place. This then gives you the opportunity to clean, repaint and (most importantly) lubricate the center stand and pivot point, which is impossible to do when it and the exhausts are in place.

Some tricks for dealing with the center stand:

One trick is, after removing the stand, drill and tap a hole in rear portion of the center stands frame tube for a zerk fitting. Once done, lubing the center stand in the future is a snap. While doing this, take a small cutting wheel or hack saw and grind/cut some spiral groves into the center stand slide-out tube from end to end. These groves will trap grease, allowing it to better migrate the length of the pipe.

Another trick is the re-installation of the center stand spring. This can be a real bear is you don't know this secret: Clamp one end of the spring in a vice. Bend it sideways and insert a penny in between each of several coils on that side. Then, bend it the opposite direction and insert an equal number of pennies on that side. Try to fit the spring in place. If needed, insert more pennies between more coils until it will slip in place easily. When you flex the stand down, the coils will open up and the pennies will fall out. Others may have their own method but, I find this one to be least frustrating.

Edit: I just saw your post. Nice job on bending the tip!
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

Placerville

Postby Placerville » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:02 pm

I just noticed something. In the picture of your bike that goes along with your signature, the shock on the right side (pictured) is black. So, I concluded they are aftermarket and probably shorter in design. However, in the second picture (just above) showing your grab bar, a portion of your left shock is visible and it is obviously a stock EOM shock. So, now you've got me very confused. What gives?
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

RonHolly
1980 GW Interstate
1998 Valkyrie Tourer

Postby RonHolly » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:33 pm

Placerville wrote:I just noticed something. In the picture of your bike that goes along with your signature, the shock on the right side (pictured) is black. So, I concluded they are aftermarket and probably shorter in design. However, in the second picture (just above) showing your grab bar, a portion of your left shock is visible and it is obviously a stock EOM shock. So, now you've got me very confused. What gives?

Thanks for "all" your help! As for the difference in the shocks, "I dunno." I'll go out in the rain and check them out and see. I never noticed them until you did! LoL

RonHolly
1980 GW Interstate
1998 Valkyrie Tourer

Postby RonHolly » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:47 pm

I checked both sides and they are the same. I think it's just the way the pics looked. Shocks on both sides are adjusted on the 3rd step. Here's a pic of the right shock. Also you'll notice that the side cover is cracked from where it rests on the frame and I hit a little pot hole and it cracked. Holding together with duct tape for now.
Attachments

portugeezer
1982 Gl500
1984 Honda Magna V30

Postby portugeezer » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:53 pm

My shocks don't look like the stock ones.

portugeezer
1982 Gl500
1984 Honda Magna V30

Postby portugeezer » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:57 pm

This is a pic from today. Does it look low to you guys?

RonHolly
1980 GW Interstate
1998 Valkyrie Tourer

Postby RonHolly » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:05 pm

portugeezer wrote:
KongIV.jpg
KongIV.jpg
This is a pic from today. Does it look low to you guys?

I think the low hanging exhaust makes it look low. The pic is kinda dark to really see you nice bike.

Placerville

Postby Placerville » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:21 pm

RonHolly wrote:I checked both sides and they are the same. I think it's just the way the pics looked. Shocks on both sides are adjusted on the 3rd step. Here's a pic of the right shock. Also you'll notice that the side cover is cracked from where it rests on the frame and I hit a little pot hole and it cracked. Holding together with duct tape for now.

PM sent.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

ekvh
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000

Postby ekvh » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:32 pm

I have wondered about this for some time as there are so many discrepancies of how easy or difficult it is. Both of my 77's were a bear for me, 5'10" and 200 lbs. I removed the one as it had rusted and overturned in the wrong direction. The other one is easy if I put the back tire on a 2x4. I wonder if the factory had different jigs that resulted in different angles when built. The best advice I have seen is to cut 1/2 to 3/4 inch out of the tubes and welding them back on.

Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Postby Fred Camper » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:56 pm

Keep in mind it is not about lifting the grab bar. That is a small part of the effort. You need to use the foot to get it to rock, then use the rock momentum and lift the grab rail and pull back the handlebar with the other hand. A two by four can help you develop the technique but once you have the technique it will go up if all is well. As Placerville said your side stand seems very low so a two by four is a must until that is resolved.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”