The Dreaded Carb Rebuild...

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
spookytooth
Motorcycle: 1979 gl1000

The Dreaded Carb Rebuild...

Postby spookytooth » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:30 pm

It's as inevitable as death, isn't it? I went out to reinstall the radiator shrouds (which not NOT just for aesthetics) today and noticed a puddle of fuel under the bike. With a flashlight I was able to determine the fuel was coming from the gasket between the top and bottom half of the left front carb. I was hoping it was something as simple as cracked fuel line; no dice. So like I said.. We all know this day is coming... I was just over at the Randakk site to get a healthy dose of sticker shock; $150 for some gaskets and o-rings??? First of many questions... Is the Randakk video worth $30 or could I get away without it? Would this one be a good substitute?

Any personal anecdotes you all may have that may help me on this spooky journey would be greatly appreciated.

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Re: The Dreaded Carb Rebuild...

Postby SnoBrdr » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:50 pm

spookytooth wrote:It's as inevitable as death, isn't it? I went out to reinstall the radiator shrouds (which not NOT just for aesthetics) today and noticed a puddle of fuel under the bike. With a flashlight I was able to determine the fuel was coming from the gasket between the top and bottom half of the left front carb. I was hoping it was something as simple as cracked fuel line; no dice. So like I said.. We all know this day is coming... I was just over at the Randakk site to get a healthy dose of sticker shock; $150 for some gaskets and o-rings??? First of many questions... Is the Randakk video worth $30 or could I get away without it? Would this one be a good substitute?

Any personal anecdotes you all may have that may help me on this spooky journey would be greatly appreciated.

Randakk's is a very good video, quite long.

I think that he kinda goes too fast, good thing you can watch it over and over.

He also has some special tools, some that he bought, some that he made but he doesn't tell you where to get them or really how to build them.

In my opinion he needs to redo the video in it's entirety.

aussiegold
Motorcycle: 1975 Goldwing (No 8 to come to Oz )
1976 LTD cleverly diguised as an 81 interstate
1976 LTD.. a feller with 2 LTD's can't be all bad.....

Postby aussiegold » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:15 am

a carb rebuild is not so hard. everything must be clean, clean clean.
the Randakk dvd is a good source of info and guidance. it helped me , for sure. he does like to hear himself talk. drones on and on. but his heart is in the right place.

SteveB123
Motorcycle: 1982 1100I, 60A Poorboy, MSD coil

Postby SteveB123 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:42 am

spookytooth wrote:I was just over at the Randakk site to get a healthy dose of sticker shock; $150 for some gaskets and o-rings???

No, $150 for the right gaskets and O-rings. I doubt you'll find anyone who has been disappointed with Ranndak's stuff.

Having said that, I paid $30 for the 1100 rebuild book that he carries, and frankly wasn't impressed. I would have happily paid that for a video, though.

I'm sure you'll be able to sell the video after you're done.
Current:82 GL1100 Interstate, 60 Amp Poorboy, MSD coil
Previous: 93 GSX1100F Katana
82 GL500 Silverwing

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:46 pm

as TO CARB REBUILDS IT IS BASICALLY TAKING EVERYTHING APART CLEANING IT WEll AND REINSTALLING..oops the video is good but not necessary..IMHO..just pay attention on the tear down and the build isn't hard at all..just be patient and methodical..lots of help here too.

http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2952

scroll down for a how to.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

spookytooth
Motorcycle: 1979 gl1000

Postby spookytooth » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:16 pm

As it turns out, the jet screw was loose. Dodged that bullet. For now.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”