How Do I remove this?


Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
User avatar
portugeezer
Posts: 424
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:44 pm
Location: Mchenry, Illinois
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1982 Gl500
1984 Honda Magna V30

How Do I remove this?

Postby portugeezer » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:12 pm



I have had my bike a little over three years now. When I first got it I replaced the belts. The bike still starts only after a long crank when it's cold so I decided to adjust my valves to see if that's the problem. Behind the 17mm cover you remove to turn the alternator bolt is what I believe to be the mount for the kick start. I had to have taken it off to do the belts but I can't for the life of me remember where it bolts up. You can't even get the little cover off with that in the way. Anyone know? I don't remember it being difficult but I'm not seeing any bolts.



User avatar
Placerville
Posts: 423
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:58 pm
Location: Placerville, CA
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Re: How Do I remove this?

Postby Placerville » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:52 pm

First, regarding the hard starting. What type of plug caps are you running? Are they resistors? If so, pull them and check with an ohm meter. New resistor caps should test at 5 ohms. Any more than that and your spark starts having a hard time reaching your plug at full power (which is a very common reason for hard starting). Honda says 10 ohms. is still acceptable but, I do not agree. I replaced my original (10 ohm) resistor caps with new Honda caps and my starting 'crank time' dropped to zero and overall performance and mileage increased. This is a simple thing to do that may lead to an immediate improvement in hard starting.

Regarding your next issue. Yes, the kick starter receiver is in the way when you try to remove the alternator cover bolt. An easy way to get around that is to insert your kick starter, push it all the way down and tie it off. It's now out of the way. But, that doesn't help you now, does it? You say you removed your kick start receiver and now you can't tell where it's supposed to re-attached? Here's a photo of mine if it helps.
Attachments
Placerville- 1976 Yellow
Image

User avatar
portugeezer
Posts: 424
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:44 pm
Location: Mchenry, Illinois
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1982 Gl500
1984 Honda Magna V30

Re: How Do I remove this?

Postby portugeezer » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:54 am

Thanks! As always I appreciate the help. I run resistor caps and they are brand new NGK's. What happens is when it's cold like 50 or less I pull the choke out and hit the start button. The bike starts for a second then dies. Once that happens it will crank for a long time then start again but run rough until I can hit the throttle very slowly. Once I get the RPM's up it runs fine and for the rest of the day it starts fine. I did get my valves adjusted. That helped a little.

User avatar
Fred Camper
Posts: 1155
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:15 pm
Location: Metro Detroit, MI
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Re: How Do I remove this?

Postby Fred Camper » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:30 pm

Well the choke richens things up, but perhaps it is so rich it is fouling your plugs and it takes the cranking to dry them back off. Since it idles fine later, the carb sync cannot be terrible. So I would try using lesser amounts of choke to see if that helps.

User avatar
spookytooth
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:41 pm
Location: Houghton Lake, Michigan
Motorcycle: 1979 gl1000

Re: How Do I remove this?

Postby spookytooth » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:01 pm

Leaky needle valves?

User avatar
Placerville
Posts: 423
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:58 pm
Location: Placerville, CA
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Re: How Do I remove this?

Postby Placerville » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:41 pm

Fred Camper wrote:Well the choke richens things up, but perhaps it is so rich it is fouling your plugs and it takes the cranking to dry them back off. Since it idles fine later, the carb sync cannot be terrible. So I would try using lesser amounts of choke to see if that helps.


Fred,

I was thinking about the choke as well e.g., out of adjustment. Maybe fuel mixture issues?
Placerville- 1976 Yellow
Image

User avatar
landisr
Posts: 393
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:18 pm
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1994 GL1500A

Re: How Do I remove this?

Postby landisr » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:07 pm

I read somewhere (possibly Randakk's site?) that if these bikes sit for more than a few days, the fuel can evaporate from the float bowls, so when you first start the bike it is fuel starved, and it takes the ol' mechanical fuel pump a while (ie. cranking) to deliver sufficient gas to all the carbs. A symptom of this is when it begins to fire, it starts on one cylinder, then two, three and finally four because of the path the fuel has to take to reach all four carbs. To save wear and tear on my battery, starter etc in this case I remove the air cleaner cover and spray some starter spray (ether, etc.) into the air box. It usually only takes one application to help the motor run long enough to "prime" the carbs. Just sayin'..

Ron in AZ
Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here.

User avatar
portugeezer
Posts: 424
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:44 pm
Location: Mchenry, Illinois
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1982 Gl500
1984 Honda Magna V30

Re: How Do I remove this?

Postby portugeezer » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:39 pm

Ok, Last night I put the bike on the center stand. This is not easy. I have to back the bike onto a strip of plywood with another strip on top of it so it's like stairs. I suspect my bike sits a bit low because of the Vetter luggage. Anyway it started much easier and made zero smoke. I normally have smoke coming from the left exhaust for about the first mile. I guess I need valve seals?

User avatar
landisr
Posts: 393
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:18 pm
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1994 GL1500A

Re: How Do I remove this?

Postby landisr » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:56 pm

I wouldn't worry about valve seals. These bikes can smoke a little on cold start when parked on the side stand, and 99 out of 100 times it smokes on/from the left side.

Ron in AZ
Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here.

User avatar
Placerville
Posts: 423
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:58 pm
Location: Placerville, CA
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Re: How Do I remove this?

Postby Placerville » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:03 pm

Agree with the above. When you don't ride the bike often enough, fuel evaporation from the bowls is common, especially during warm weather. When this happens, it takes a lot of cranking to get them filled. A word to the wise, be very, very careful using starter fluid to address this. It can back-fire through the plenum and you'll be in big trouble. An easy way around this is to keep your tank full whenever the bike will be parked for extended periods. A full tank will 'gravity feed' your carb bowls when you open the petcock. It takes a couple of minutes so, be patient. Open the fuel cap as well. It greatly increases the flow. Also, keeping your tank full when parked displaces air and helps prevent rusting.

Try to put your bike on the center stand whenever you leave it for an extended periods to prevent oil from migrating to the left side pistons. You said you think your Vetter luggage is dropping the height? Can you adjust your shocks? If not, using the 'board on the ground' method is the best way to go.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow
Image

User avatar
spookytooth
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:41 pm
Location: Houghton Lake, Michigan
Motorcycle: 1979 gl1000

Re: How Do I remove this?

Postby spookytooth » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:51 pm

Placerville wrote:Agree with the above. When you don't ride the bike often enough, fuel evaporation from the bowls is common, especially during warm weather. When this happens, it takes a lot of cranking to get them filled. A word to the wise, be very, very careful using starter fluid to address this. It can back-fire through the plenum and you'll be in big trouble. An easy way around this is to keep your tank full whenever the bike will be parked for extended periods. A full tank will 'gravity feed' your carb bowls when you open the petcock. It takes a couple of minutes so, be patient. Open the fuel cap as well. It greatly increases the flow. Also, keeping your tank full when parked displaces air and helps prevent rusting.

Try to put your bike on the center stand whenever you leave it for an extended periods to prevent oil from migrating to the left side pistons. You said you think your Vetter luggage is dropping the height? Can you adjust your shocks? If not, using the 'board on the ground' method is the best way to go.


Full tank with petcock left on and a loose jet screw left over a gallon of fuel on the floor and made me think I needed to rebuild my carbs... Good idea with the fuel evaporation though. Which is why I said sticky needle valve possibly allowing fuel to drain out of the bowl but they're on top, aren't they? Anywho.. What he was describing is definitely a fuel system that has somehow lost its prime.

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17050
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: How Do I remove this?

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:36 am

spookytooth wrote:Full tank with petcock left on and a loose jet screw left over a gallon of fuel on the floor and made me think I needed to rebuild my carbs... Good idea with the fuel evaporation though. Which is why I said sticky needle valve possibly allowing fuel to drain out of the bowl but they're on top, aren't they? Anywho.. What he was describing is definitely a fuel system that has somehow lost its prime.


You don't need to leave the bike parked with the petcock on (which is a bad idea in any case), just turn it on and let the fuel gravity feed for a minute or two before starting. As long as the fuel tank is full, the fuel level will be higher than the float bowls in the carbs, so it will trickle down and fill the empty float bowls, ensuring a quick start-up.

User avatar
landisr
Posts: 393
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:18 pm
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Motorcycle: 1976 GL1000
1994 GL1500A

Re: How Do I remove this?

Postby landisr » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:30 am

Thanks, Admin. I'll try that today, 'cuz I've been neglecting the 76 while riding the 94.

Ron in AZ


Beam me up, Scotty. There's no intelligent life down here.


Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests