Need help getting 75 GL1000 running!

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
thatguysean
Motorcycle: 1975 Honda Goldwing GL1000

Need help getting 75 GL1000 running!

Postby thatguysean » Fri May 14, 2010 4:22 pm

So my dad gave me his '75 Goldwing a couple of years ago and I was totally stoked. I paid way too much money to the Honda dealership to get it running and not even a month later I was deployed to Afghanistan. I recently decided that the weather was finally nice enough to pull it out of storage and now I'm having trouble getting it started. I bought a new battery and the starter attempts to start, but the engine doesn't seem like it is trying to turn over. I added SeaFoam to the gas bc the same tank of gas has been sitting in it since Winter of 2008. I'm assuming there is a ton of stuff I should do before trying to just start this thing up...
Spark plug replacements?
Drain old gas and add new gas?
Oil change?

I had the Carbs completely overhauled right before I deployed so I assume they don't need work.

If anyone has any suggestions or advice on where a rookie like myself should start, I would be forever grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Jeeper
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100A Aspencade

Re: Need help getting 75 GL1000 running!

Postby Jeeper » Fri May 14, 2010 7:42 pm

My '83 was sitting for about 18 months before I bought it. What I did was buy a can of seafoam and put 1/2 in the gas and 1/2 in the oil. I then pulled the plugs and put a little oil in the cylinders, not much just a little, and you can also use Marvel Mystery oil. I then turned the bike over a few times with the plugs removed just to get things loosened up.

Check all the fluids, brake, oil and antifreeze to ensure they are full. Then start it up and let it run a while, up to operating temperature at least. I actually drove my bike for a couple of days like this. Then I changed the oil and filter, put in new plugs, and have been meaning to flush the radiator, the oil and coolant steps are outlined here on this site for the GL1100, but the GL1000 should be pretty much the same without the fairings to deal with.

My brake lines were also flushed, but that's because I had to remove and clean the brake calipers because they were sticking. If yours operate fine without any leaks I wouldn't worry too much about them. If you paid Honda to service the bike a couple of years ago, they probably changed the timing belts at that time so you don't have to worry about them. Other than the little starter issue I had, my bike has been running great since. Now if I would just stop driving it long enough to get it cleaned and polished.

terryjenner
Motorcycle: 1975 gl1000

Postby terryjenner » Tue May 18, 2010 2:44 pm

Randakk Cycle Shack has a great tech article on this procedure as well. I would treat it as if it had been laid up for a while.

http://www.randakks.com/TechTip24.htm
terry

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Tue May 25, 2010 3:47 pm

If it sat with gas in the carbs they can be full of crud..and may need to be cleaned if not rebuilt. If gas tank was left half full rust..may be in there and will have to be removed or you'll just screw your carbs when you run her. You can try the sea foam and it may clean the carbs up..may not. Good advice above..

the engine doesn't seem like it is trying to turn over not sure what this means..is it rotating or not? rotating but not firing? firing but won't catch and stay running?????

HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”