How to tell original paint color/code?

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
txtriathlete
Motorcycle: 1995 GL1500 Aspencade

How to tell original paint color/code?

Postby txtriathlete » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:54 pm

HI. I have a new to me 78 1000 that I am still researching as I begin restoration. I am trying to determine the original color of the bike. It is currently painted a kind of mustardy yellow orange, not a bad color but certainly not original. I found the paint codes in the reference material but not sure how to tie that back to the bike. Is doesn't appear to be part of the VIN. Is there a paint color sticker or such on the frame somewhere?

Thanks!

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Re: How to tell original paint color/code?

Postby SnoBrdr » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:50 am

txtriathlete wrote:HI. I have a new to me 78 1000 that I am still researching as I begin restoration. I am trying to determine the original color of the bike. It is currently painted a kind of mustardy yellow orange, not a bad color but certainly not original. I found the paint codes in the reference material but not sure how to tie that back to the bike. Is doesn't appear to be part of the VIN. Is there a paint color sticker or such on the frame somewhere?

Thanks!

Not that I have ever seen and I have had my 78 since new.

There was only three colors back then Blue, Maroon, Black.

I have the maroon and it was a 3 step paint, nightmare to match.

It looked a different color depending on the angle you looked at it and the light.

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Re: How to tell original paint color/code?

Postby Placerville » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:21 pm

Nothing in a vintage GL's serial number referred to a color. Body panels were added at the factory at randem per a work order. There is no way to tell the original color of a GL's body panels other than layer by layer stripping. All of the old color codes (below) are worthless and mean nothing to modern day paint suppliers. Don't even try. If you want to do a factory correct resto., you can purchase correct aftermarket paint from e.g., VMR Paints. Select any of the three colors (Blue, Maroon or Black) you want, as any of them will be 'correct' for your bike. Another way to color match is to find a respectable 'same year' body panel on eBay, have a qualified painter match it and do the job. Many have done it. Go here for fairly priced, good quality aftermarket body panel graphics and warning labels.

USELESS GOLDWING PAINT CODES

1975 GL1000
Candy Antares Red Special, R6CS
Candy Blue Green Special, PB2CS

1976 GL1000
Candy Antares Red Special, R6CS
Candy Blue Green Special, PB2CS
Sulfur Yellow, Y34

1976 GL1000 LTD
Candy limited maroon custom, R7CC

1977 GL1000
Black, NH1