electrical plugs , one year on.

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
aussiegold
Motorcycle: 1975 Goldwing (No 8 to come to Oz )
1976 LTD cleverly diguised as an 81 interstate
1976 LTD.. a feller with 2 LTD's can't be all bad.....

electrical plugs , one year on.

Postby aussiegold » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:42 pm

about a year ago i posted a topic on how to correctly repair corroded and or dirty electrical plugs. here is some photo evidence that shows it is worthwhile doing. some will still say
" solder them together... its the only way." it is one way, true, but it is ( i believe ) a silly thing to do. the original plugs are fine, correctly maintained.
here is a link to the first thread posted a year ago.viewtopic.php?f=13&t=17175
and thanks Admin , for seeing this as good enough to be moved to the " how to " area.
the first picture shows the repaired plug one year on, with a bit of accummulated dirt and grime from what i would call normal use. this bike has been used in all weathers , although i tend to
not ride in the rain if i can help it. the next three pics show the contacts .

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Re: electrical plugs , one year on.

Postby Placerville » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:09 pm

aussiegold,

Excellent follow-up. Thank you.

I did the same thing with my 'stator to rectifier' plug, which are famous for corroding, over-heating, melting and causing all kinds of electrical issues from poor charging to leaving you stranded. A year later, mine also shows zero signs of over-heating due to corrosion.

Here's my stator wire connector before I replaced it with an OEM style from Vintage Connections. When looking at it in the bike, the side that I could see was fine; no discoloration or melting. It wasn't until I pull it out and turned it over that I found this (and the source of my poor charging).

Mike Nixon has a nice write-up on his Web site regarding just this issue (un-soldered connectors) but, in great detail (as only Mike can do) with references to Honda bulletins stating that this should be considered the proper method.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”