Disassembling & cleaning rear brake caliper help.

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Lastwachter
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda GoldWing
2000 Buell Blast

Disassembling & cleaning rear brake caliper help.

Postby Lastwachter » Sat May 03, 2014 8:54 am

**warning, I know nothing about this :) **

I read the How-To tutorial here at GoldwingDocs about the GL1100 just to get a general idea and also watched these videos

(I know this is for a front, I was just trying to get a general idea)

Ok, so here is where I am at. I have the caliper and reservoir removed from the bike. The reservoir was empty or super low when I checked it. The one piston is almost all the way out and the other has not moved. I tried filling the reservoir and then pumping the rusted arm at the bottom there to finish pushing the piston out but it is not moving.

I had also unscrewed the two halves of the caliper and confirmed that fluid was moving through the tube and coming out the hole in the caliper where the rubber washer sits connecting the two caliper pieces.

I am not sure how to continue. Is the issue air in the system? Is the piston bound up? I do recall being able to use the rear brake to help slow the bike when removing it from the Uhaul when I first got it, however I removed both front and back calipers from the wheels because one of them was locking up and I couldn't get the bike to roll while in neutral. Not sure which one was the culprit at the time.

Ok thats about all the pertinent info I can think of :)

Thanks as always for your help guys!
Attachments

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Re: Disassembling & cleaning rear brake caliper help.

Postby SnoBrdr » Sat May 03, 2014 11:32 am

There are two ways of getting the piston out, actually there are more but the two most use are these:

Use a lot of air pressure to pop out the piston, you really need a large commercial compressor for this, it's what I have done. Be care and have the caliper together with a small block of wood between the pistons as they can come out at high speed.

The other is with a grease gun, put the caliper together and put a grease fitting instead of the bleeder. Pump it full, the grease will force it out via pressure.

I'm sure the piston is probably rusted in there, try spraying PB Blaster or the like and let it sit for a bit.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”