Neutral Indicator Switch 75 GL1000

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
BaronBigDog
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000

Neutral Indicator Switch 75 GL1000

Postby BaronBigDog » Sat May 03, 2014 10:25 pm

This is my first ever scooter and I have been through a 2 year learning curve making it run. I had just retired and my wife got it for me from an old shed. It was a disaster. Not worth fixing, but I did. Lots of new parts and it is now a Johnny Cash Motorcycle. Everything from 75 thru 81 with some new aftermarket upgrades. It actually runs though I am somewhat concerned about the transmission. Sometimes it jumps out of 1st and sometimes is hard to shift up from first, but other than that it works. I have no intention of splitting the case to learn the transmission so I will live with it. Strange, but when it won't upshift with the clutch it will pop right into 2nd without releasing the clutch. No chatter or grind, just a good smooth shift.

Everything is good behind the front cover. I had to replace the water pump and everything was free and straight in the shifter linkage. I learned about non-stock gaskets the hard way. I replaced the cover gasket with an aftermarket replacement and the shifter started binding. A new Honda gasket cured that problem, but it was a kick in the head having to tear it back down to correct the problem. I digress here just to let anyone reading this that doesn't know, don't cut it short on the gaskets. Genuine Honda here. I used a Honda pump, should have used a Honda gasket first time.

Now to the question: Is there a trick to changing the neutral position indicator switch without pulling the engine? I can't see a way, but then again I am still have a bunch to learn. My neutral light glows dimly when in any gear. It is bright in neutral, but the glow can be confusing. Of course I rock it to see if it is in neutral before lighting up, but I would like the light to work. I spent a bunch getting everything else to work, (ignore the transmission) and I would like this quirk corrected.

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Re: Neutral Indicator Switch 75 GL1000

Postby Placerville » Sun May 04, 2014 1:19 am

If you would have asked before starting your pump job, you would have found that the pump gasket set from KP has everything you need to complete the job and is of good quality. But, that's how we learn. ;)

Regarding your neutral switch:

http://ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14520
http://ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41432
http://ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20849

Regarding your 'jumping out of gear' issue: Your first stop should be your clutch cable adjustment. Make sure it's adjusted per the Honda shop manual. Also, what type of oil are you using? GL clutches are very responsive to fresh, good quality motorcycle oil (not automotive oil). Read this.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

BaronBigDog
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000

Postby BaronBigDog » Sun May 04, 2014 8:50 am

Thanks much.

As to the 1st gear thing. I have tried three different oils. Castrol, Valvoline and I can't remember the third. All JASO rated for wet clutches. I adjusted the clutch to Honda specs and then the cable in that order. Several times to assure that I had it right. My Honda manuals, both Clymers and Honda indicate that I may have a bent shifter fork.

Jack, from Old School Carbs, pointed me in this direction as well. (adjustments and oil) He even thought the clutch might be stuck, but that did not prove to be the case.

My old scooter is about the same color as yours, now, It was once red, a ratty black when I got it and now it is sunshine yellow.
You have a sharp old girl there. I went with yellow as I once had a Rallye 350 Oldsmobile. The love of my life. I am still kicking myself after 34 years for selling it.

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Postby Placerville » Sun May 04, 2014 12:51 pm

You sound like you have a good handle on this and are a competent 'wrencher'. Maybe the next step is a clutch replacement?
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Postby Fred Camper » Mon May 05, 2014 9:06 pm

Another issue that can cause the neutral light to glow is a bad silicone diode. A diode is easy to check and replace if bad. So do check that first. The neutral diode is one of the 4 foundunder the left shelter cover.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”