cam shaft seals

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
rebeltaz83
Motorcycle: 1978 gl1000
1997 Vmax

cam shaft seals

Postby rebeltaz83 » Mon May 12, 2014 8:21 pm

i ordered 4 new cam seals. 2 for left, and i thought 2 on the right. i only found 1 one the right and that was behind the cam gear. i stuck the one in behind the fuel pump/ tach. drive...... i had oil coming out of the tach. cable hole, and making a mess of the bike. my honda shop manual doesn't specifically show a seal going in there, but when i ordered them online, the exploded view showed 4 of them. is there supposed to be a seal behind the fuel pump/tach. drive, and if not then what stops the oil from being blown all over threw the cable hole?? :?: it doesn't leak now, but i don't want that seal in there if it's not supposed to be there.

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Re: cam shaft seals

Postby Placerville » Mon May 12, 2014 10:06 pm

Your problem is here, #9 - OIL SEAL 91256-096-651. Pull your tach cable and, using a dental pick, pull out the old seal. Prior to replacing it, I recommend that you clean the interior of the housing with Acetone. Make sure all of the surfaces, especially the bottom mating surface, are clean. These seals have been known to leak even after replacement. When I did mine, I cleaned the area and then, with a toothpick, I applied a bit of Permetex sealer to the bottom of both the new seal and it's mating surface inside the housing. With the sealer set up a bit, place the seal over the post then drive it into place with an appropriate sized deep socket. I let mine sit overnight prior to replacing everything. It hasn't leaked.
Attachments
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

rebeltaz83
Motorcycle: 1978 gl1000
1997 Vmax

Re: cam shaft seals

Postby rebeltaz83 » Tue May 13, 2014 5:49 am

ah, ok....... seems easy enough..... cam seals still needed replacing either way. thanks for the info!! :D

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”