gl1000 blue smoke at start up

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
legstoshort
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000 k2

gl1000 blue smoke at start up

Postby legstoshort » Tue May 20, 2014 3:52 am

Hi every body, new to this Goldwing docs.
I have just got a gl1000 (1977) of eBay, this is an import from your side of the pond.
As it is from America it as head and tail lights on with ignition(great idea) why not do this in every country.
As I am thinking of "doing" bike up (that's Yorkshire talk ) there are some things I would like to short out before I start.
First, have to use a lot of choke to start engine, then a lot of blue smoke, run for a short time but had to switch of to much smoke.
I removed air cut-off-valve (after reading article -saber-cycle about valve) But cannot see anything wrong with parts).
When I removed air filter and air cleaner box to remove air valve I noticed some petrol in bottom of chamber is this normal.
I have read so many web pages a bout smoking engine, I am at a loss as to what to try next, any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated, Yours legstoshort, Yorkshire England :D

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: gl1000 blue smoke at start up

Postby virgilmobile » Tue May 20, 2014 8:16 am

Welcome to the boxer engine world.
Burning oil can be attributed to 3 possibilities.
First...after you've driven it for the day,park the bike on the center stand.A tilted engine with lots of oil will allow some migration to the left side.Centerstanding can keep it clear.See if just that will reduce or eliminate the smoke.
Some have poor valve guide seals.
Some have poor oil rings.
If its in poor condition,nothing can be added to the engine to stop the smoking.A overhaul would be in order.
side note:Every wing that I have owned smokes for a time after starting when the bike is left on the side stand for more than a day.
fuel in the plenum is not normal.Be certain to shut off the fuel at the end of the day.
Some choke to get it running is normal and some need it for a few minutes after starting.A few of mine were a bit cold blooded too.
A carb cleaning,a good sync will help.
Don't forget the basics either.Replace the timing belts and fluids.check the spark plugs too.

virgilmobile
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Tue May 20, 2014 8:25 am

More info too.If the bike still has points,learn and do the "split the difference" timing method.
The absoluly best thing I did to mine was to replace the points with electronic ignition,replace the fuel pump with a electric one and coat the carb floats with Polyurathane to stop them from absorbing fuel and flooding the carbs.
When all is done,this bike will suprise you.If your not holding on tight,it can leave you standing in the road.
Been there,done that.

legstoshort

Postby legstoshort » Tue May 20, 2014 10:42 am

Hi virgilmobile,
A big thank you for your quick reply.
Bike is not on road yet as I have to have it tested (M.O.T) before I can tax and insure for road.
Maybe a good long run would do bike good.
cambelts have been done, also oil and filter,(I have read that oil should be on low mark to help stop smoking.
I am thinking of taking carbs of to check if needle's are sticking, I have to change front fork seals for test as one is leaking.
One last q for today, can I clean petrol tank out with out removing?
Thanks again, legstoshort. Or bike is to high.

virgilmobile
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Tue May 20, 2014 11:04 am

legstoshort wrote: Maybe a good long run would do bike good.

Yes indeed....Center stand the bike and run it....one of mine took a few hours to clear the smoke....It usually clears in the first few miles of driving too....

I have read that oil should be on low mark to help stop smoking.

This is true if you intend on leaving it parked on the side stand....
Remember..it's normal for the boxer engine to burn off the seeping oil after it's been left tilted to one side....

I am thinking of taking carbs of to check if needle's are sticking

There's a lot of reading in the "How-To" section also....

There's nothing wrong with preventive maintenance....Polish the slides too...they must move butter smooth.There's plenty of posts about carb servicing and syncing.

can I clean petrol tank out with out removing?

Type.."clean fuel tank" in the search section at the top of the page...there's plenty of posts about it.

legstoshort

Postby legstoshort » Wed May 21, 2014 1:38 am

Hi virgilmobile,
Thank you once again for your quick response.
I will follow up on the answers you have sent me, I have done lot of reading about gold wings since I got mine.
If I can get engine running fine I will be very happy.
Are there "How- to " sections on every think gold wing? I have a feeling I am going to fined out.
Why did one of your bikes take so long to stop smoking?
When I was looking back at the sale advert for bike, it did say "smoke on start up, but smoke cleared after a few mins", perhaps I was to quick to think there's some think wrong with engine, time and a lot of waiting will tell.
Thanks again, I will keep posting as soon as I get thinks done, legstoshort.(PS is there such a thing as a mini gold wing).

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Wed May 21, 2014 6:33 am

Sounds to me like you have a definite carb flooding problem (Fuel in plenum and smoking at start up). Floats could be sticking or out of adjustment. Float valves not sealing. The older Goldwings all smoke at startup from the left side if parked on the side stand. There are a number of how to articles on this site about the gl1000. Randakksblog.com is another good site for information on the 1000.
You mentioned Saber Cycle. Beware! Be very careful if you purchase any parts from them. There are oodles of horror stories regarding their parts and customer service.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

virgilmobile
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Wed May 21, 2014 7:08 am

Yes there is a mini gold wing.Kinda....it's called a silver wing.
It does not have a boxer engine.Its more of a V Twin.
BMW does use the boxer design but it's more like a Volkswagen to me.
One bike filled the whole block with smoke.It had just been starter after I serviced it.The bike hadn't been running for many years.
It seemed to take hours to get it cleared.
Chased away the mosquitoes too.
The bike had been laying on its side in a garage when I found it.Oil had soaked the left cylinders,rings and got into the heads.No damage but what a cloud of smoke to burn off.

legstoshort

Postby legstoshort » Wed May 21, 2014 8:06 am

Hi dingdong,
Thank you for your advice on carbs,will see randakksblog soon as I am removing petrol from tank to check for rust etc.
Thank you also for your warning about cyber-cycle, I read there page about using a lot of choke on start up so I removed air cut-off valve to check in side and I did not see any think faulty.
I thought I would start with air valve before taking carbs off, will I need any gaskets or special tools for carb repair and what do I use to lubricate inside carbs.
thanks again, legstoshort.+

legstoshort

Postby legstoshort » Wed May 21, 2014 8:15 am

Hi virgilmobile,
I am taking carbs of soon for a check and clean up,so when I get bike running again I will let it run for as long time to see what happens.
Thank you for your relay, legstoshort.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Thu May 22, 2014 7:15 am

Randakksblog.com has carb rebuild kits and a video how to. The air cutoff valve is only to prevent backfire on decel. Shouldn't cause smoke. Full choke at cold start is normal for the 1000.

Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”