Caliper / Rotor Alignment Issue?

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Lastwachter
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda GoldWing
2000 Buell Blast

Caliper / Rotor Alignment Issue?

Postby Lastwachter » Tue May 20, 2014 7:07 pm

1978 Goldwing.
Original rotor (I believe)

Rotor has a lip around the outside and inside of it. It has been seriously warn down.

I removed the rear brake caliper for overhaul and just put it back on. I spun the wheel the rotor scrapes against the caliper for maybe a bit more than 50% of the rotation. I then tightened the bolt down completely and it stopped rubbing, but as you can see from the picture it is not centered in the caliper slot. It is far to the left had side. This is all being done with the brake pads off. I am replacing the rotor because of how warn it is anyway, but I was curious if this is normal or if there is an issue here.

To the best of my knowledge the rear wheel and caliper have been put back on correctly and everything is tightened down.

Any ideas, suggestions or comments?
Attachments
Here you can see how it is to the left of the slot and almost rubbing against the caliper.
Here you can see how it is to the left of the slot and almost rubbing against the caliper.
Here you can see the lip on the rotor
Here you can see the lip on the rotor

flash2002
Motorcycle: gold wing 1800

Re: Caliper / Rotor Alignment Issue?

Postby flash2002 » Sat May 24, 2014 5:17 am

Hi, when I rebuilt a 79 I bought, the back brake had the same problem. I could't see why it was like that , the caliper parts where all ok. So to fix the problem I moved the caliper by adding a spacer where it's bolted, problem solved. But looking at your's, it looks like it was bent twisted maybe it was hit from the side. On mine it was off but it was straight.

Lastwachter
2000 Buell Blast

Postby Lastwachter » Sat May 24, 2014 8:24 am

Thanks for the advice. I do have a "new" caliper on the way which I am going to try. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks
Ryan

Lastwachter
2000 Buell Blast

Postby Lastwachter » Thu May 29, 2014 10:56 am

I ended up getting a "new" rotor (because of how worn down mine was) and caliper (because I think this was the issue) and I am happy to say all is right with the world! It lines up properly, spins freely and the rear brake (which I rebuilt and added a new brake line to) works like a charm!

Thanks for the help.

flash2002
Motorcycle: gold wing 1800

Postby flash2002 » Thu May 29, 2014 2:13 pm

Good job, glad you got it working.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”