1977 GL1000 slow to come back to idle

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
rstoops1
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000
2001 GL1800A ABS

1977 GL1000 slow to come back to idle

Postby rstoops1 » Wed May 21, 2014 2:28 pm

I have a very nice, low miles (14,600) '77 GL1000 that runs and shifts like a dream except for one thing. It is slow to come back to idle after reving. It doesn't matter if I just twisted the throttle, or am on the road riding. The linkages and cables are all free and work easily and I've cleaned and polished the sliders. The butterfly shafts work easily. Any suggestions? I bought the bike in May of 2013 and it just took a couple of small doses of carb cleaner in the gas tank to get it running perfectly, but even then it was slow to come back to idle and lately the problem has become worse.

Also, what function does the Air Cut-off Valve serve and how does it work? Could this be part of the problem?

Regards,

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Re: 1977 GL1000 slow to come back to idle

Postby Placerville » Wed May 21, 2014 5:53 pm

rstoops1 wrote:I have a very nice, low miles (14,600) '77 GL1000 that runs and shifts like a dream except for one thing. It is slow to come back to idle after reving. It doesn't matter if I just twisted the throttle, or am on the road riding. The linkages and cables are all free and work easily and I've cleaned and polished the sliders. The butterfly shafts work easily. Any suggestions? I bought the bike in May of 2013 and it just took a couple of small doses of carb cleaner in the gas tank to get it running perfectly, but even then it was slow to come back to idle and lately the problem has become worse.

Also, what function does the Air Cut-off Valve serve and how does it work? Could this be part of the problem?

Regards,

Everything you said above indicates that you need to rebuild your carbs., especially the comment about, "a couple of small doses of carb cleaner in the gas tank to get it running perfectly." If your bike ran better with carb cleaner in the tank, I can assure you that it's not running perfectly, or anywhere near that state. IMO, carb cleaner is good for one thing, and that is to see if your carbs are dirty. If you use the cleaner, and the bike runs better, then it's time to clean and rebuild your carbs. Liquid cures simply "aren't", but they can give you a clue as to what needs to be done.

The purpose of the air cut-off valve is to address a lean condition that results from engine deceleration. It (and other things) could be the source of your problem and they are always part of the rebuild process. I suggest that you buy Randakks kit and video and give it a go. $180 for the entire package. To rebuild your own carbs you must be a moderately skilled wrencher who is patient, organized and has a high level of attention to detail. From your comments above, it sounds like you do. If you don't, or you simply don't have time, you can enlist the skills of Pistol Pete or Mike Nixon. Both are recognized as experts in this field. About $400. If you think your bike runs well now, wait until you have your carbs rebuilt and properly sync'd. It will pull your arms from your shoulder sockets. Every carb clean and rebuild should be proceeded by a tank cleaning. What's yours look like? Any rust inside should be addressed prior to installing your freshly rebuild carbs.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

grthwyn
Motorcycle: 1977 Gl1000

Postby grthwyn » Tue May 27, 2014 9:00 pm

had this same problem when i was tuning mine. try adjusting the idle speed with the screw, its the flat head on the rear of the carb fuel pump side, if that dont work try synching the carbs next.

RBGERSON
Motorcycle: 98 SE GL 1500
had every year from 75 to 83

Postby RBGERSON » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:48 pm

Several possibilities (but PV is correct if carb cleaner makes it better carbs most likely)

kinked/dirty/pinched cable..check the route and/or run some solvent and lube down the cable.

sticking slides in the carbs rebuild carbs and be sure to polish the slide shaft and cylinder

vacuum leak..with bike running point starter fluid or propane Unlit at carbs/intakes etc. if rpm's jump =vacuum leak.
HAD LOTS OF GOLDWING 75-83
NOW INTO 1500'S..RIDING A 1998 SE

FAIR WINDS,
RB

sfruechte
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000

Postby sfruechte » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:54 pm

Check the o-rings near the head intake from the carb. Do the easy stuff first.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”