Still rattling after I did a carb sync.

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Lastwachter
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda GoldWing
2000 Buell Blast

Still rattling after I did a carb sync.

Postby Lastwachter » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:05 pm

There is a knocking type noise which seems to be coming from the valve area. I saw that when carbs are out of sync that this can happen. Since I had not done this yet I was hoping it was the culprit.

However after syncing it, it is still there. The noise does change with the adjustment of the idle screw and carb adjustments. The noise seems to decrease when I have pretty far out of sync at times but doesn't sound great when I do have them synced. The sync may not be the greatest out there, but it is pretty darn close.

However, since the carb adjustments do see to change the noise, I figure it still relates to it.

Any ideas?

1978 Goldwing
Timing belts changed
Valves adjusted
Carbs synced

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Re: Still rattling after I did a carb sync.

Postby SnoBrdr » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:20 pm

Lastwachter wrote:There is a knocking type noise which seems to be coming from the valve area. I saw that when carbs are out of sync that this can happen. Since I had not done this yet I was hoping it was the culprit.

However after syncing it, it is still there. The noise does change with the adjustment of the idle screw and carb adjustments. The noise seems to decrease when I have pretty far out of sync at times but doesn't sound great when I do have them synced. The sync may not be the greatest out there, but it is pretty darn close.

However, since the carb adjustments do see to change the noise, I figure it still relates to it.

Any ideas?

1978 Goldwing
Timing belts changed
Valves adjusted
Carbs synced

Most likely the primary chain.

This may help: http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=52817&hilit=primary+chain

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:17 am

Primary chain slap is most noticeable from the right side rear of the engine. Not the valve area but sometimes hard to tell the difference for the first timers. Was it making this knock before you did your belt change and valve adjustment? I would go back and recheck everything I did previously.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Lastwachter
2000 Buell Blast

Postby Lastwachter » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:13 am

Yes it did this previous to purchase. I do plan to go back through and check everything I have done.
-Belts
-Valve Adjustment
-carb sync.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:51 pm

Check your timing also. Out of time condition can cause a knock. (Not referring to timing belt)
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Lastwachter
2000 Buell Blast

Postby Lastwachter » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:33 pm

dingdong wrote:Check your timing also. Out of time condition can cause a knock. (Not referring to timing belt)

I had to use a make shift led flashlight timing light. So it wouldn't dim only shut right off but after doing it, it still knocks but it also runs much smoother! Thanks!

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”