Crankcase Breather Missing?

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Lastwachter
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda GoldWing
2000 Buell Blast

Crankcase Breather Missing?

Postby Lastwachter » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:53 am

1978 GL1000

I noticed a small slit in the hose going from the air cleaner assembly to the engine. So I was looking in the manual for the name of it, to see about a replacement. There I saw "crankcase breather". Now those hoses are attached as they were when I received the bike, so I assumed everything was in order. However, there is no device between where the hose attaches to the engine and to the air cleaner assembly. Am I missing a piece?
Attachments

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Re: Crankcase Breather Missing?

Postby SnoBrdr » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:27 am

Lastwachter wrote:1978 GL1000

I noticed a small slit in the hose going from the air cleaner assembly to the engine. So I was looking in the manual for the name of it, to see about a replacement. There I saw "crankcase breather". Now those hoses are attached as they were when I received the bike, so I assumed everything was in order. However, there is no device between where the hose attaches to the engine and to the air cleaner assembly. Am I missing a piece?

We just went over this on another site.

My 78 was built in August 77 and does no0t have a canister either.

On the 78 model year it depends on when your bike was made.

If it was made before the latter part of 1977, it did not have anything other than what you see.

This was because of the CAA (Clean Air Act) tightened up the regulations and forced them to put the canister on.

Lastwachter
2000 Buell Blast

Postby Lastwachter » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:01 pm

I just took a look and it was made in 9/77 . So that explains that. Thank you very much for your help and quick response.

Appreciate it!

Lastwachter
2000 Buell Blast

Postby Lastwachter » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:02 pm

Side question. Is it easy enough for me to get a replacement hose from a local auto parts store?

SnoBrdr

129K Original Owner

Postby SnoBrdr » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:12 pm

Lastwachter wrote:Side question. Is it easy enough for me to get a replacement hose from a local auto parts store?

Ya, I did.

Can't remember the size tho, just bring it with you and they can match it up.

Hondarebel
Motorcycle: 1977 gl1000 Goldwing (RED)
1977 gl1000 Goldwing (BLUE)

Postby Hondarebel » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:00 pm

Folks , Im a few months late on this discussion. Can someone help on the following:
I have a 77Gl1000, that has the breather tube (black apx 10"" long), connected to a canister (looks like a white small plastic container) and the other end connected to the airbox. There is also a connected black tube (apx 6" long) on the bottom of the container that leads to the atmosphere below the bike. I am guessing there is a connection from the crankcase to the container someplace because when the breather tube from the container to the airbox is disconnected steam comes from the container.
It is a water vaper that has an oily feel. It also appears like "rusty gunk" on the tip of the breather tube as well as on the connection port to the container. The tube is cracked in several plases and need replacing. The container looks like it also needs replaicing.
Can someone tell me the names and functions of these parts, and where I may be able to get replacements? I appreciate any assistance on this.
I am sorry that I do not have a pic. I will attempt to upload as soon as possible.
Thanks again

PS: Is this tube and cannister necessary?
Attachments

SnoBrdr

129K Original Owner

Postby SnoBrdr » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:08 pm

Hondarebel wrote:Folks , Im a few months late on this discussion. Can someone help on the following:
I have a 77Gl1000, that has the breather tube (black apx 10"" long), connected to a canister (looks like a white small plastic container) and the other end connected to the airbox. There is also a connected black tube (apx 6" long) on the bottom of the container that leads to the atmosphere below the bike. I am guessing there is a connection from the crankcase to the container someplace because when the breather tube from the container to the airbox is disconnected steam comes from the container.
It is a water vaper that has an oily feel. It also appears like "rusty gunk" on the tip of the breather tube as well as on the connection port to the container. The tube is cracked in several plases and need replacing. The container looks like it also needs replaicing.
Can someone tell me the names and functions of these parts, and where I may be able to get replacements? I appreciate any assistance on this.
I am sorry that I do not have a pic. I will attempt to upload as soon as possible.
Thanks again

Basically the oily junk is called blowby. It happens to all internal combustion engines to one degree or another.

The canister was added as part of the emission control system so that it would not vent directly to the atmosphere.

The tube you can get anywhere, the canister not so much. On my 78 I don't even have one, just the tube and that was the factory setup.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:22 pm

Hondarebel wrote:Folks , Im a few months late on this discussion. Can someone help on the following:
Thanks again

I'm thinking perhaps what you have is aftermarket? Or maybe something done special for California?

The 1977's and later have a crankcase ventilation tube that leads from the crankcase (naturally) to the air filter box. This is so that piston blowby (which contains lots of nasty environmental gases) is vented up into the air intake and back through the engine, instead of being blasted out into the air.

Some of this contains moisture, which will condense in the air box in a nasty oily fluid as you have discovered. They put a drain in the air box that leads down a tube into a sealed storage container. Every so often this container is supposed to be disconnected and drained.

1975 and 1976 bikes had a different system, where the crankcase vent went into a small canister with an air/oil separator. The air was plumbed back up to the air box, the oil (and any other moisture) was dumped onto the ground. Despite your bike being a 1977 (are you sure it is? Is the engine from a 1977?), it sounds like you have the earlier system on your bike.

1977-1980 system:
PCV Circuit
PCV Circuit

Container Location
Container Location

Storage Container
Storage Container

SnoBrdr

129K Original Owner

Postby SnoBrdr » Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:26 pm

WingAdmin wrote:
Thanks again

I'm thinking perhaps what you have is aftermarket? Or maybe something done special for California?

The 1977's and later have a crankcase ventilation tube that leads from the crankcase (naturally) to the air filter box. This is so that piston blowby (which contains lots of nasty environmental gases) is vented up into the air intake and back through the engine, instead of being blasted out into the air.

Some of this contains moisture, which will condense in the air box in a nasty oily fluid as you have discovered. They put a drain in the air box that leads down a tube into a sealed storage container. Every so often this container is supposed to be disconnected and drained.

1975 and 1976 bikes had a different system, where the crankcase vent went into a small canister with an air/oil separator. The air was plumbed back up to the air box, the oil (and any other moisture) was dumped onto the ground. Despite your bike being a 1977 (are you sure it is? Is the engine from a 1977?), it sounds like you have the earlier system on your bike.

1977-1980 system:
PCV Circuit.GIF

Container Location.GIF

Storage Container.GIF

Like I said I don't have that setup at all. Not sure how they got away with it but they did.

The Clean Air Act mandated it, the one that would have effected me was the 1977 revision.

Altho my bike is a 78, it was actually made in late 77 so they skated on it.

Hondarebel

Postby Hondarebel » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:15 pm

From a mechanical function view, would bypassing the container cause any change in the running of the engine?
Also, is there an after market replacement if i do need it?
If I don't need it I would rather not have it, but if I do need it I'd like to use something easily found.

Regarding the good question of the exact year of the bike / engine...
The frame serial number falls in line with model GL1000K2.
I have to check and see what the engine serial number is.
Thanks
HondaRebel

spiralout
Motorcycle: 1975 GL1000 (gone)
1980 GL1100I (with '77 1000 engine)
1996 GL1500 SE

Postby spiralout » Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:06 am

The '77 had the container that Hondarebel has. http://www.westernhonda.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=2449966&category=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=1977&fveh=131059 My service manual states that 1000's made after Dec. 31st, 1977 have the type that WA posted the screenshots of.

Hondarebel

Postby Hondarebel » Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:00 am

Since the container is hard to find for a 77, can it be omitted without affecting the performance?

Merry Christmas
Hondarebel

aussiegold
Motorcycle: 1975 Goldwing (No 8 to come to Oz )
1976 LTD cleverly diguised as an 81 interstate
1976 LTD.. a feller with 2 LTD's can't be all bad.....

Postby aussiegold » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:32 am

here is some info on this very subject. i have left the canisters on my bikes and simply dont connect the hose at the air box. i notice no difference in the way it runs. some , in this link, have added aftermarket crankcase filters.
http://www.ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=46702

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”