Front brake sticking


Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
mike1430
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:44 pm
Location: Lansing, Illinois
Motorcycle: 1978 Gl1000 goldwing

Front brake sticking

Postby mike1430 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:53 pm



Hi Everybody, I'm new to Goldwing Docs. I have a question about my front brakes sticking on my 1978 Wing. We were on the Dragon's Tail and found that my front right brake caliper was sticking. I've rebuilt the master and cleaned the calipers but they still stick. Can someone help me with this problem? Could it be the lines or the valve that goes to both calipers? I'm at a loss. Please help!!
Thank you,



User avatar
dingdong
Posts: 2863
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:35 am
Location: Oklahoma City
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Re: Front brake sticking

Postby dingdong » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:50 am

In rebuilding the master did you make sure the small return hole was clear. That is usually the cause.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

User avatar
virgilmobile
Posts: 7647
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:39 pm
Location: Denham Springs,La.
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Front brake sticking

Postby virgilmobile » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:10 am

And did you clean the crud from under the seal in the calipers,verify the piston slides smooth into the bottom of the bore,then completely flush all the old fluid and replace it with Dot 4..??

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17046
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Front brake sticking

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:31 am

dingdong wrote:In rebuilding the master did you make sure the small return hole was clear. That is usually the cause.


Right. It is tiny, some people use a guitar string to clear it, I've used a single clipped off bristle from a wire brush to do the job:

Image

mike1430
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:44 pm
Location: Lansing, Illinois
Motorcycle: 1978 Gl1000 goldwing

Re: Front brake sticking

Postby mike1430 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:08 pm

Can anybody recommend a front caliper rebuild kit?
Thanks

SnoBrdr
Posts: 325
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:01 am
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Re: Front brake sticking

Postby SnoBrdr » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:12 pm


User avatar
stevenstrack
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:16 pm
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I

Re: Front brake sticking

Postby stevenstrack » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:28 pm

Is there a problem with using Dot 3 vice Dot 4? I just rebuilt my forks which blew a seal and my pads were saturated. I replaced the pads the other night but used Dot 3 Synthetic brake fluid. I just Read the post here while waiting for my wife to recover from elective surgery and can't recall but think the brake fluid I used was Dot 3/4 Compatable??? Not sure but if I have to go back and flush this out again I want to make sure I don't have a problem down the road.

SnoBrdr
Posts: 325
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:01 am
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Re: Front brake sticking

Postby SnoBrdr » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:18 pm

stevenstrack wrote:Is there a problem with using Dot 3 vice Dot 4? I just rebuilt my forks which blew a seal and my pads were saturated. I replaced the pads the other night but used Dot 3 Synthetic brake fluid. I just Read the post here while waiting for my wife to recover from elective surgery and can't recall but think the brake fluid I used was Dot 3/4 Compatable??? Not sure but if I have to go back and flush this out again I want to make sure I don't have a problem down the road.


Dot 4 has a higher boiling point than does 3.

If it came with 4, stick with 4.

If it came with 3 you can uses either.

Only one you can't use in a DOT 3 system is Dot 5.

But you can use 5.1

User avatar
stevenstrack
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:16 pm
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100I

Re: Front brake sticking

Postby stevenstrack » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:02 pm

One other question. I don't believe I used synthetic the last time I rebuilt my calipers which was less than 4 years ago. I didn't rebuild this time with new seals because my only problem was the pads were soaked with fork oil so I just put on new pads. I know I pumped a lot of new brake fluid through the calipers but would their be a problem with the new synthetic and non-synthetic fluid mixing?

SnoBrdr
Posts: 325
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:01 am
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Re: Front brake sticking

Postby SnoBrdr » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:37 pm

stevenstrack wrote:One other question. I don't believe I used synthetic the last time I rebuilt my calipers which was less than 4 years ago. I didn't rebuild this time with new seals because my only problem was the pads were soaked with fork oil so I just put on new pads. I know I pumped a lot of new brake fluid through the calipers but would their be a problem with the new synthetic and non-synthetic fluid mixing?


I don't know what you mean when you say synthetic, it means different things to different people.

If you totally flush out the system and I mean totally you will never have any issues. Just never used DOT 5.




Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest