Reading my spark plugs, getting small backfiring.

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Lastwachter
Motorcycle: 1978 Honda GoldWing
2000 Buell Blast

Reading my spark plugs, getting small backfiring.

Postby Lastwachter » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:27 am

Well she is finally up and running (1978 Goldwing). Not without issues though, of course.

What I have done.
-Replaced timing belts (correctly as far as I know).
-Changed oil
-adjusted valve clearance (double checked today)
-Retimed using static method.
-Synced carbs (checked them again today)
-Changed air and oil filters

Issues
-Whenever I get it above 3k rpms and particularly above 4k I will get a pop now and then. That will increase when I let off the throttle and I am slowing down through shifting.
-If I have it idling at 1k or lower, I hear chain slapping (even though the carbs are synced). If I keep it idling around 1050 1100. That goes away, however there is always a taping or clicking noise, that I seem to hear more predominately on the right side and low on the engine.

I took off the spark plugs and have pics here for you guys to check out. It is obvious to me that the right side is running much leaner than the right. However, I did have it out on the road for a few miles before the static timing and it ran REALLY rough, so I don't know for sure when these plugs got the way they are now.

-Sidenote: I had sportster mufflers on it when this started happening. So this morning I put the originals back on. Retimed it and checked the carb sync and valve clearance before riding it. Still the same.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Attachments

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Re: Reading my spark plugs, getting small backfiring.

Postby Placerville » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:03 pm

Because no one has responded, I'll take a crack at some of this...
Lastwachter wrote:Well she is finally up and running (1978 Goldwing). Not without issues though, of course.

What I have done.
-Replaced timing belts (correctly as far as I know).
-Changed oil
-adjusted valve clearance (double checked today)
-Retimed using static method.
-Synced carbs (checked them again today)
-Changed air and oil filters

Issues
-Whenever I get it above 3k rpms and particularly above 4k I will get a pop now and then. That will increase when I let off the throttle and I am slowing down through shifting.

This description is most likely related to your carbs air cutoff diaphragm. Check there.

-If I have it idling at 1k or lower, I hear chain slapping (even though the carbs are synced). If I keep it idling around 1050 1100. That goes away, however there is always a taping or clicking noise, that I seem to hear more predominately on the right side and low on the engine.

If you hear chain rattle at anything above 900 rpm, your carbs aren't synced correctly.

I took off the spark plugs and have pics here for you guys to check out. It is obvious to me that the right side is running much leaner than the right. However, I did have it out on the road for a few miles before the static timing and it ran REALLY rough, so I don't know for sure when these plugs got the way they are now.

The photos of your plugs are hard to see. Plugs that aren't in the right color range can be many things e.g., valves, timing, carbs, compression etc.

-Sidenote: I had sportster mufflers on it when this started happening. So this morning I put the originals back on. Retimed it and checked the carb sync and valve clearance before riding it. Still the same.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

When's the last time your carbs were given serious attention? In my opinion, all of your issues are probably carb related. I would start with carbs that were known to be in excellent condition and properly synced. I'd then address each of the several issues you have, one by one, knowing that your carbs weren't part of the issue.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

Lastwachter
2000 Buell Blast

Postby Lastwachter » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:23 pm

Thanks for the advice as always. Since I have owned the bike (a few months) the carbs have not been touched and I am not sure when they were done before that. I have a Randakk rebuild kit and plan to go through them.

HOWEVER! I learned that the issue with backfiring and throttle was the timing. After no luck with retiming with the OEM parts I purchased a Dyna S electronic ignition and after setting it up, it runs great! No backfiring or throttle issues! I'm so thrilled.

I do still have the voltage issue but i am happy to figure that out knowing the bike runs properly! :) thanks again for your help. I wouldn't have made it this far otherwise.

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Postby Placerville » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:46 pm

Nice that you were able to resolve a problem with the new Dyna ignition. Did you do Dyna coils as well? They are a nice upgrade. If you do, make sure that your plug caps are newish and their resistance isn't too high. New caps should measure in at 5k ohms. It's good to have yours measure as close to that has possible so the new Dyna coils can do their job. Good luck.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

Lastwachter
2000 Buell Blast

Postby Lastwachter » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:52 pm

I did get new coils as well. I have yet to put them on though. As far as caps I have new NGKs on there now and the coils also came with their own caps and cables. I read on Randall's site about having too many resistors. Any suggestions or experience with similar set ups?

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”