odds questions

Information and questions on GL1000 Goldwings (1975-1979)
  • Sponsored Links
Gmonkey
Motorcycle: 1978 gl1000

odds questions

Postby Gmonkey » Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:03 pm

its riding season and the wife decided to get into the season so now i have to fix the 78 gl1000 so she can ride the 81 cm400c

is it normal to have the fuel flood the carbs if the shut-off valve is not turned off?

is there any way to improve the fuel guage accuracy?

has anyone done the randak carb rebuild on their own? any problems,things to watch out for or is it better to sent it in to Pistol pete and have it done?

http://randakks.com/collections/carbs/p ... ombo-offer

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: odds questions

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:21 pm

Gmonkey wrote:its riding season and the wife decided to get into the season so now i have to fix the 78 gl1000 so she can ride the 81 cm400c

is it normal to have the fuel flood the carbs if the shut-off valve is not turned off?

has anyone done the randak carb rebuild on their own? any problems,things to watch out for or is it better to sent it in to Pistol pete and have it done?

If the carbs are flooding when parked, your carburetor floats are sticking.

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Postby Placerville » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:36 pm

Yes to what WA is telling you. That's why you always turn your petcock off when your bike is parked. Regarding your fuel gauge - if your temp gauge AND your fuel gauge are inaccurate, your 7 volt regulator needs to be replaced. Still available from Honda for your year of GL or aftermarket on this site. However, if it's just your fuel gauge that's the problem, chances are there's nothing wrong with your gauge but, it's probably your sending unit in your tank that's in need of attention. (You don't give enough information about what it's doing so, I can't advise you.) Go here for a tutorial on cleaning and repairing your sending unit. Hundreds have done Randakks carb rebuild using his kit and video. To do it successfully, you must be mechanically inclined, organized, methodical, patient and be able to follow detailed instructions. If you don't possess those qualities, spare yourself the grief and send them to Mike Nixon or Pistol Pete. Both are equally as good. About $400.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

Gmonkey
Motorcycle: 1978 gl1000

Postby Gmonkey » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:02 am

Ok inaccurate was a poor choice of word on my part, I'm looking for a way to make them read faster.

I have had the bowls apart an there is no varnish or sticking problems. It the 3,4 cylinders that are wet when running. Would solid state ignition help or do I need more diagnostic ?

Placerville
Motorcycle: 1976 Naked Yellow

Postby Placerville » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:00 am

Gmonkey wrote:Ok inaccurate was a poor choice of word on my part, I'm looking for a way to make them read faster.

I have had the bowls apart an there is no varnish or sticking problems. It the 3,4 cylinders that are wet when running. Would solid state ignition help or do I need more diagnostic ?

If you're saying that you want your fuel and temp gauge to register immediately when the ignition is turned on then, no, that's not how they work. These bikes were built in the analog era. Not digital.

Your ignition has nothing to do with your carb issues. I suggest that you send your carbs off to be restored. Electronic ignition (as it's referred to on these bikes) is a performance upgrade and makes future tune-ups easier. Some stay with their points, others like electronic e.g., Dyna coils and ignition.
Placerville- 1976 Yellow

Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Postby Fred Camper » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:46 am

Any vehicle with points will sometimes leave them open. If for two days, no problem. But old wings have been know to sit for weeks or even months in the winter. That hurts the sometimes open points making the bike sit even longer. So electronic ignition is a nice solution for many of us.

SnoBrdr
Motorcycle: 1978 GL 1000

129K Original Owner

Postby SnoBrdr » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:55 pm

Gmonkey wrote:its riding season and the wife decided to get into the season so now i have to fix the 78 gl1000 so she can ride the 81 cm400c

You wants to sleep at night, send the carbs out.

PP and Moose did mine, couldn't be happier. Bolt right on, rode away.

dingdong
Motorcycle: 1976 gl1000
1993 gl1500
2004 NRX1800 Rune

Postby dingdong » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:38 am

If it isn't the floats your problem is probably the float valves are not sealing. They aren't included with the Randakk kit. You will need to get them from Honda. Some of the aftermarket valves are junk so don't waste your money. Buy OEM.
Tom

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Fred Camper
Motorcycle: 1977 GL1000, 1976 LTD GL1000

Postby Fred Camper » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:55 pm

Keep in mind that a float valve that leaks when parked may seal sufficiently when being riden. So sending off the carbs when the only issues a flood when parked may just be one float valve that leaks when parked but seals sufficiently when ridden. This is why most of us close the petcock with every stop but a fuel stop. But if you use the restroom on the fuel stop and might shop, then close the petcock then too.

Return to “GL1000 Information & Questions”